Options

"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    You mentioned Golf, I believe back in the heyday of the 00's Grampian TV ran a show called "the scottish golf club show" according to wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grampian_Television , I think the way that lot think is that us up North just exist for the news and thats it, STV North has virtually no identity (you would think various presenters ie for their shows scotland tonight or just the weather, but no we are tagged along from Glasgow :rolleyes:)

If I was being honest I just can't see STV Glasgow handing any more control to us sadly, Grampian is becoming extinct (if not already) it will!, as I say STV have an ADVANTAGE compared to the BBC (fair enough news) but surely invest in North and get different programming other than the crap from Central or is it that we look to BBC ALBA as thats right up our street :rolleyes: (nothing against ALBA either) but pretty much shows how LITTLE STV care for its counterparts North :mad:, management heads should roll, they know what they have done but got less care for it!

It's like Tyne Tees Border, we get a crummy 15 minute opt out at 6.00 and the shorter bulletins are mostly Tyne Tees news. It's like we don't exist over here and our local bulletins are now made in Gateshead. However, ITV plc have realised their mistake and will bring back Border in two years time, but the destruction of Grampian by STV is atrocious. Also northern Scotland is rather different to Clydeside and not just Heilan coos:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another worrying thing, they could dig up the White Heather Club and Andy Stewart's Hogmanay Show for New Years Eve. I am a soldier, a Scottish soldier, nooooo!.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    And now on STV, while the silly English are enjoying Downton Abbey, we'll be showing re runs of Take The High Road and that well loved Australian drama we found when Border Tekevision was demolished, A Country Practice. Actually STV is becoming as parochial and stupid as that outpost of local ITV I had to grow up under and this wouldn't surprise me if they ran these again.
    For all I can understand the need for an ITV service for Scotland, STV strike me as being pretty stupid at times.

Now if the could network A Country Practice, and even Take the High Rd, they would be onto a winner, even more so if they found The Sullivans !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Now if the could network A Country Practice, and even Take the High Rd, they would be onto a winner, even more so if they found The Sullivans !

I think the sounds of a few million remotes switching over could be heard if this happened. Mind you if it's cheap and three men and a dog are watching, it would satisfy STV. I think also you'd find most of the audience for these shows is in a cemetery as even STV had to pull the plug on Take The Valium as they found the audience was dying out and not being replaced.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like Tyne Tees Border, we get a crummy 15 minute opt out at 6.00 and the shorter bulletins are mostly Tyne Tees news. It's like we don't exist over here and our local bulletins are now made in Gateshead. However, ITV plc have realised their mistake and will bring back Border in two years time, but the destruction of Grampian by STV is atrocious. Also northern Scotland is rather different to Clydeside and not just Heilan coos:D

Can I give you a pat on the back Glenn? :) .... Thank you for realising what I have been saying for ages regarding my area - yet most people take it on deaf ears, yourself and a couple other forum members realise what I have to put up with this lot based in Glasgow - but yes your right there destruction of Grampian is atrocious and we become not second but THIRD and also yes your correct in that as well - yes I am in Scotland but people have different "cultures" on both sides of Scotland but the STV dialect to be served by all is "Glasweigan" no matter the programming (people may ask why complain as BBC do it as well - yes that maybe true but at least presenters/programmes come across in my opinion as if "you know them" where as STV tries this approach but it looks downright stupid!)

I will say though congrats ITV for realising the MISTAKE for borders region so STV can you get your finger out your ass and SHUT DOWN the Dundee bulletin and put it in with the News at 6! You got your way with splitting Edinburgh/Glasgow news so its about time you put us under ONE main bulletin again (as originally was!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another worrying thing, they could dig up the White Heather Club and Andy Stewart's Hogmanay Show for New Years Eve. I am a soldier, a Scottish soldier, nooooo!.

Don't give this lot ideas Glenn :eek: they already tried a Hogmanay show with MEchelle McManus (pre recorded 6 months in advance yes not even LIVE!) but show failed to light up, guess beaten by BBC Scotland :D. STV just screams cheap be it for Hogmanay or anything - you just know this lot are that tight with their money they don't make programming that says "i'll be back" screams to me as I'll f..k off and never return ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kezo, I used to think STV was a fine regional broadcaster, but the way they've treated the North is a shambles and the way they cancel popular English dramas for a repeat of some parochial tripe hardly anyone wants to watch is a disgrace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kezo, I used to think STV was a fine regional broadcaster, but the way they've treated the North is a shambles and the way they cancel popular English dramas for a repeat of some parochial tripe hardly anyone wants to watch is a disgrace.

I'll give you credit - as with what you say "I used to think STV was a fine broadcaster" - so did I! When the merge happened (thinking nothing will change and will be BETTER NETWORKED) oh how wrong was I! and yes exactly its a shambles - and yet no proper investment in programming just done on the cheap sadly yet popular/one off dramas have faced the brunt of this lot and it is and forever will be a disgrace!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give you credit - as with what you say "I used to think STV was a fine broadcaster" - so did I! When the merge happened (thinking nothing will change and will be BETTER NETWORKED) oh how wrong was I! and yes exactly its a shambles - and yet no proper investment in programming just done on the cheap sadly yet popular/one off dramas have faced the brunt of this lot and it is and forever will be a disgrace!
    They seem to have given up on drama. I know HIgh Road and Taggart had come to end of their lives, but they seem to have never found a replacement. In its day Taggart regularly pulled in 16 million viewers and the last info I have from the fan club, said it made £ 7 million a year in exports and DVDs for STV. Can't see Scottish Passport doing that.
    Actually speaking of Taggart, I was sort of involved in the fan club in the mid noughties and remember sending in an idea for an episode. The reply I got back was extremely sarcastic and started on the lines of oh no, not another fan with an idea. It was unprofessional to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to have given up on drama. I know HIgh Road and Taggart had come to end of their lives, but they seem to have never found a replacement. In its day Taggart regularly pulled in 16 million viewers and the last info I have from the fan club, said it made £ 7 million a year in exports and DVDs for STV. Can't see Scottish Passport doing that.
    Actually speaking of Taggart, I was sort of involved in the fan club in the mid noughties and remember sending in an idea for an episode. The reply I got back was extremely sarcastic and started on the lines of oh no, not another fan with an idea. It was unprofessional to say the least.

The only drama they ever concentrated on was "taggart" but there was rumours of "rebus" returning (with someone new - not ken stott this time) but yet they could have done this when opting out ie ran taggart followed by rebus (just examples of course) but again what did STV do nah roll on NEW Taggart at same time as Downton then when ITV premiere it we'll TAG ALONG again (STV viewers its a repeat run of what we just saw :eek:) - no wonder it possibly lost its viewers LOGICALLY ANSWER - STV REPEATED IT TWICE within WEEKS of first showing and NOTHING TO DO WITH ITV!!!

I think STV are realising now (bit late in my book) but they can't live off Taggart but they thought it would be a bigger success at that time (the Downton period i'll call it) but it backfired and when ITV announced that it had "came to an end" STV were flogging it around so someone else could pick up the tab (as this series was helped by Alibi not sure ITV had involvement). Looking at that series they created a plothole immediately - start of FIRST EPISODE - no announcement was made where DCI Stuart Fraser went, looked like he "no longer existed" and ripped from show (I thought when watching it he might appear later but what happened nothing and I felt not the same with the show - as you knew the team had a rapport but in that nothing at all just seemed like the show was killed there and then)

You mention the amount of money it made from the exports be on DVD's yet surprisingly where has that money went to or been invested into as I barely see anything NEW with this lot! (again all looks dirt cheap ie just look at the dodgy HD on Scottish Passport and how they make their own dodgy ads - rips from ITV own ads!)

Regarding the Taggart letter: I am really sorry to even read that I would have thought at least the "fans" are pitching ideas for the show but to be told "oh no not another one....." pretty much says they possibly lost interest in their fans input and thought themselves to go to "extreme" measures of ideas being too far fetched (just look at some soaps on telly - far fetched and dragged out far too long!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only drama they ever concentrated on was "taggart" but there was rumours of "rebus" returning (with someone new - not ken stott this time) but yet they could have done this when opting out ie ran taggart followed by rebus (just examples of course) but again what did STV do nah roll on NEW Taggart at same time as Downton then when ITV premiere it we'll TAG ALONG again (STV viewers its a repeat run of what we just saw :eek:) - no wonder it possibly lost its viewers LOGICALLY ANSWER - STV REPEATED IT TWICE within WEEKS of first showing and NOTHING TO DO WITH ITV!!!

I think STV are realising now (bit late in my book) but they can't live off Taggart but they thought it would be a bigger success at that time (the Downton period i'll call it) but it backfired and when ITV announced that it had "came to an end" STV were flogging it around so someone else could pick up the tab (as this series was helped by Alibi not sure ITV had involvement). Looking at that series they created a plothole immediately - start of FIRST EPISODE - no announcement was made where DCI Stuart Fraser went, looked like he "no longer existed" and ripped from show (I thought when watching it he might appear later but what happened nothing and I felt not the same with the show - as you knew the team had a rapport but in that nothing at all just seemed like the show was killed there and then)

You mention the amount of money it made from the exports be on DVD's yet surprisingly where has that money went to or been invested into as I barely see anything NEW with this lot! (again all looks dirt cheap ie just look at the dodgy HD on Scottish Passport and how they make their own dodgy ads - rips from ITV own ads!)

Regarding the Taggart letter: I am really sorry to even read that I would have thought at least the "fans" are pitching ideas for the show but to be told "oh no not another one....." pretty much says they possibly lost interest in their fans input and thought themselves to go to "extreme" measures of ideas being too far fetched (just look at some soaps on telly - far fetched and dragged out far too long!)

Yes I was quite annoyed with the response. It seemed to me like the fans of STV's most successful show didn't matter and yet south of the border as well as in Scotland there were millions of Taggies, as we call ourselves.
    However, to be fair to STV with Taggart, ITV did mess them around near the end and for all the last series was one of the best, we had to wait a few months to see it in England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I think of STV's networked contributions, all I can think of are Taggart, Rebus and Take The High Road, the last one being an excruciating bore that only a few grannies watched in England. BBC Scotland OTOH has a fine heritage of drama and comedy that stretches from The Nightmare Man to Rab C Nesbitt and currently produce most of the BBC's quiz shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I was quite annoyed with the response. It seemed to me like the fans of STV's most successful show didn't matter and yet south of the border as well as in Scotland there were millions of Taggies, as we call ourselves.
    However, to be fair to STV with Taggart, ITV did mess them around near the end and for all the last series was one of the best, we had to wait a few months to see it in England.

Personally I would say though if STV had stuck to the schedule originally it would possibly have survived (I think), I don't blame ITV at all with that farce, STV were playing a game and it backfired, I am not into Downton either but the way they bragged on about as if ANYTHING they put on in Scotland held more relevance - when in reality hardly did (imports), but then as a "deal" was stuck between ITV/STV they ran like hell to catch up to show Downton Abbey (yet if STV had kept things "normal" ie ran Downton THEN Taggart then there would be no issue but they way they done it was foolish and stupid) its like a 2 part drama that I keep mentioning on here Gunrush I thought we were getting it at time of airing did we? No has it even seen the light of day here?? No! (and ITV aint releasing a DVD) but in my opinion thats how I have lost touch with this so called channel its the pits!

Taggart letter: I would have responded and said to them back we will "boycott" the show and burn the stuff! :D

Taggart in general: I will say 50/50 on that series but I still wouldn't have been told where that DCI had gone too, ie say he moved to another area in the force or left, but the way it was done was as I say "no longer existed" thats what p...ed me off about that series there was never any acknowlegement of where he went or where or was or even going to appear :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I think of STV's networked contributions, all I can think of are Taggart, Rebus and Take The High Road, the last one being an excruciating bore that only a few grannies watched in England. BBC Scotland OTOH has a fine heritage of drama and comedy that stretches from The Nightmare Man to Rab C Nesbitt and currently produce most of the BBC's quiz shows.

It is kinda funny when you compare BBC to STV - and I think your right but to me I think BBC do alot better on all things "Scottish" but when STV do a blatant attempt of a BBC rip you know its gonna fall on its ass!

I admit that BBC programming they do has someone "Glasweigan" but to me they are more POLITELY spoken compared to that lot on STV you feel like your gonna turn into one :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is kinda funny when you compare BBC to STV - and I think your right but to me I think BBC do alot better on all things "Scottish" but when STV do a blatant attempt of a BBC rip you know its gonna fall on its ass!

I admit that BBC programming they do has someone "Glasweigan" but to me they are more POLITELY spoken compared to that lot on STV you feel like your gonna turn into one :eek:

Well Glasgow is the media capital of Scotland, but at one time Aberdeen was the media capital of the North.
    Also with regard to ITV/STV relations wasn't there some kind of feud where STV refused to take some popular ITV dramas and ITV tried to block STV programmes from England? Seemingly you had Scottish Passport and an import when we had a drama on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Glasgow is the media capital of Scotland, but at one time Aberdeen was the media capital of the North.
    Also with regard to ITV/STV relations wasn't there some kind of feud where STV refused to take some popular ITV dramas and ITV tried to block STV programmes from England? Seemingly you had Scottish Passport and an import when we had a drama on.

During the time of the feud we had this as follows.......South Park (it appeared and then walked off schedule), followed by some crap MTV online drama (made by a scottish company - aired at 7.30pm and from some reviews it should have been moved to 9pm!, it too was embarassing!) - Underbelly (aussie import but yet STV kept saying on trailers as if they done the "drama"), love/hate (irish) and another one which was shown on ITV3 (cant remember name)

the "opt outs" we got from this lot (regionally) was as follows the hour hosted by stephen jardine/michelle mcmanus/scotland revealed(and in winter)/greatest scot/greatest album/greatest single and the most recent from nat geo banged up abroad aka to STVLand "amazing stories" and another we had AGAIN from nat geo was "cruise ship diaries" that aired on a SATURDAY NIGHT i think was after X Factor :eek: (again STV disguises some programming from other stations and put their "tag" on it :mad: )

Scottish Passport/Moviejuice are "new"ish to the scene but yet we missed out recently on NEW cornwall (8pm slot) but again production of these shows are crap - I believe that Moviejuice is actually made by the movie companies themselves and STV staff work for nothing (you would have to go back to previous thread to find all this out)

Kinda funny though really as you say Glasgow is the media capital of Scotland - but it does make you wonder if Aberdeen was (I can't be sure here) the media capital it seems blantly obvious to me thats why they are dragging the North down completely, I wouldn't be at all surprised if STV North is just a smokescreen and what will eventually become STV Central - as mentioned previous they have less care with us up north (tech faults) and you can also hear some days on the 1.50pm bulletin in the North the "switch" back to Glasgow feed for ITV, why I don't know STV North not just go to ITV feed instead I will never know but its obvious that my area has had the worst of these cuts
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have thought for a while now that the Scottish Borders should part of STV.

Darren
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Right then, a response to some of the comments?

Showing sport other than football - it's not commercially viable. The only Scottish sporting events that gain huge audiences in this country are SPL games, Rangers games and Scotland games. That's about it. Golf has a huge following but only international golf - I suspect if you showed the Largs links or something it would bomb. Rugby is regionally popular but that's not a big enough audience to justify splashing out on OBs, commentary, rights, etc. In terms of motorsport, the average punter only cares about F1 at a push.
    STV and the other ITV companies used to show other sports because they had regional hours to fill. I'm quite sure many ITV companies in the 70s and 80s wouldn't have bothered if they didn't have to back then.

Investing in the north - STV already does way more than it has to in terms of regional content throughout Scotland. Where's the money in producing extra regional shows for the north only? It's a commercial television station, it exists to make money. The days of local shows died when you got multichannel TV and the advertising cake got cut into a million pieces. It ain't coming back.

Management heads should roll - They should roll if the company doesn't make any money. They should not roll if one or two people on a messageboard are unhappy.

ITV has realised its mistake over Border - No. It has come under political pressure to give the Scottish half extra content and has come up with a compromise so Ofcom doesn't hand the Scottish half over to STV. Which they are under a lot of pressure to do from many organisations, including this week the Borders Chambers of Commerce. It'll come to nothing of course, all ITV need to do is play along, give a few concessions and pretend they care. That's what they're doing. That's all they should do.

The north split - You know what, I actually agree. I don't think the Aberdeen/Dundee split works. I think the region is too geographically large for something like that to work. Aberdeen folk probably have more interest in Dundee than the Orkneys, but the split means they get stuff from a ridiculous distance away rather than relatively down the road. However, it is a commitment to more local programming and the intention is good, and no doubt other people think differently.

The STV Hogmanay show not being live - This is because STV knows people default to BBC Scotland for the big events and there's no point having a live crew that night. It's a shame, because the BBC has realised that and until recently its programming had become tired and complacent. I think it improved this year though.

"I used to think STV was a fine regional broadcaster..." - Do yourself a favour and look at some of the crap that masqueraded as local content from all the ITV companies in the supposed golden era of television. Then remember you had a choice of that or the BBC, and that was it. Then look at the fact even council telly offers you dozens of channels now. What do you genuinely prefer?

Taggart - It's dead. It's not STV's fault, it's not anyone's fault, I liked the last series, but the investment STV even with network backing could put into a crime show pales into insignificance in comparison to CSI and NCIS. There are certain things I don't think UK TV can compete with any more, and big crime dramas are one of them.

Network dramas - STV opt out of very few of these now. They've learned from their Downton Abbey mistake. To be fair, even the people behind Downton Abbey didn't expect it to be the mainstream success it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Right then, a response to some of the comments?

Showing sport other than football - it's not commercially viable. The only Scottish sporting events that gain huge audiences in this country are SPL games, Rangers games and Scotland games. That's about it. Golf has a huge following but only international golf - I suspect if you showed the Largs links or something it would bomb. Rugby is regionally popular but that's not a big enough audience to justify splashing out on OBs, commentary, rights, etc. In terms of motorsport, the average punter only cares about F1 at a push.
    STV and the other ITV companies used to show other sports because they had regional hours to fill. I'm quite sure many ITV companies in the 70s and 80s wouldn't have bothered if they didn't have to back then.

Investing in the north - STV already does way more than it has to in terms of regional content throughout Scotland. Where's the money in producing extra regional shows for the north only? It's a commercial television station, it exists to make money. The days of local shows died when you got multichannel TV and the advertising cake got cut into a million pieces. It ain't coming back.

Management heads should roll - They should roll if the company doesn't make any money. They should not roll if one or two people on a messageboard are unhappy.

ITV has realised its mistake over Border - No. It has come under political pressure to give the Scottish half extra content and has come up with a compromise so Ofcom doesn't hand the Scottish half over to STV. Which they are under a lot of pressure to do from many organisations, including this week the Borders Chambers of Commerce. It'll come to nothing of course, all ITV need to do is play along, give a few concessions and pretend they care. That's what they're doing. That's all they should do.

The north split - You know what, I actually agree. I don't think the Aberdeen/Dundee split works. I think the region is too geographically large for something like that to work. Aberdeen folk probably have more interest in Dundee than the Orkneys, but the split means they get stuff from a ridiculous distance away rather than relatively down the road. However, it is a commitment to more local programming and the intention is good, and no doubt other people think differently.

The STV Hogmanay show not being live - This is because STV knows people default to BBC Scotland for the big events and there's no point having a live crew that night. It's a shame, because the BBC has realised that and until recently its programming had become tired and complacent. I think it improved this year though.

"I used to think STV was a fine regional broadcaster..." - Do yourself a favour and look at some of the crap that masqueraded as local content from all the ITV companies in the supposed golden era of television. Then remember you had a choice of that or the BBC, and that was it. Then look at the fact even council telly offers you dozens of channels now. What do you genuinely prefer?

Taggart - It's dead. It's not STV's fault, it's not anyone's fault, I liked the last series, but the investment STV even with network backing could put into a crime show pales into insignificance in comparison to CSI and NCIS. There are certain things I don't think UK TV can compete with any more, and big crime dramas are one of them.

Network dramas - STV opt out of very few of these now. They've learned from their Downton Abbey mistake. To be fair, even the people behind Downton Abbey didn't expect it to be the mainstream success it was.

Regarding regional content - but not everyone in Scotland speaks Glasweigan, I would understand if they had shows with different presenters of the areas but obviously STV don't think like that.

Regarding Borders TV, I have no real idea about that but I personally think is at least a step forward and at least its being acknowledged compare to how STV have done us in the North.

Being honest Grampian TV in my opinion was not bad in what it provided for us locally/regionally but ever since that merge its like its been run by a bunch of 3 year olds! (tech faults - no real acknowledgement or an apology - its just swept under carpet and/or place blame elsewhere ITV

Split bulletin: I don't know why it has been done most of the stories during it are a waste of time being honest - could hear it on radio or be in the local paper and again annoys me with the Dundee side is trying to be "funny" at the end before joining (it fails EVERYTIME - stop doing it!), but I would rather we under one main bulletin prior to this.

Network Dramas - yes that maybe true but they still have "jumped" a step on a missing series of Scott and Bailey (ITV3 played catch up before new series started).

Regarding sports other than football - surely the channel could share with SKY ie backed a bid on rights and show them on STV?? I am pretty sure thats happened with a couple games on TV recently with ITV (not sure if it was UEFA or it was like Man U V Chelsea (random teams), thats what I should think should happen. Maybe if all the networks worked together and provided better for the viewer than concentrate on profits, its just greed
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just so posters on here are aware STV are still:-

Opting out of movie premieres - about 4-6 missing over the last year.

Starting programmes then either stopping them/moving them around the schedule, and with NO apology or explanation to the viewers - e.g. Wild Britain with Ray Mears (a few shown, disappeared...), Cornwall with Caroline Quentin, Poms In Paradise etc...

Still failing to show missing dramas from the last couple of years on ITV - Whitechapel, Benidorm, Love Life, Eternal Law, Scott & Bailey last series etc.. Some, if not most of these will never see the light of day on STV - meanwhile the viewers have to second guess what STV will do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....but further to my comment I made earlier to PCUK ...Let us remember that STV were the ones "gun blazing" trying to be above ITV in the first place with this so called new investment (be from doing "opt outs at 5pm"- The Hour whilst ITV had Britain's Best Dish then The Chase (remember STV had for ONE WEEK put that on??), and as well STV tried again moving The Hour to an 8pm slot but that too obviously fell flat.

I know myself ITV ain't any better but if I was in "reality" I would stick to ITV's scheduling than the shambolic of a schedule STV provide.

as for my "area" I very well know that "regional" or "local" (whatever you want to call it) ain't coming back but yet STV have cut more to the North (as far as I can see by watching it) than any other area (again the important areas are Central/West Coast further up North you go you don't exist but we only exist to be part of the Weegie twang)

But when I mentioned "heads should roll" - well someone needs to take MORE responsibilty for its faults should it?? Everyone at the moment jumps on the BBC bandwagon and things should change, well if thats the case then STV needs to do the same, pointless tarring one organisation and not the other (be for quality of programming). Again as mentioned STV just place blame elsewhere (faults recently during Broadchurch - no apology but woman acknowledged it was "fantastic" and it went of about a min or so too early! - footy "sorry running late" (FULL 7 MINS being off air) and coming back to it "normal" but not even an acknowlegement at end of footy/beginning of news. Yet BBC/Sky will get more stick for these problems but because its STV we just approach it with "nah ignore it", somehow I don't think so. STV should apologise for these faults than sweep them under the carpet but then again what was this whole "not irrelevant to Scotland" thing again?? Downton is now on but again STV can't own up and say "we're sorry we were in the wrong" but do they?? .... thought not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Underbelly on a par with the Australian rubbish that used to appear in daytime 20 years ago? I can't believe that well over a decade since the last credits rolled for Home and Away that an Aussie import would be a peak time show as most of them were considered only fit for daytime and teatime. What planet are STV on? Next they'll be showing some old TV movie in a peak time slot and re runs of The Equaliser at 10.35.
    I'm all for a distinctive ITV in Scotland, as it stops the BBC being complacent, but the shoddy, parochial and amateur way STV goes about it now is embarassing and I know Scottish people on here with Sky are switching to the English ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Underbelly on a par with the Australian rubbish that used to appear in daytime 20 years ago? I can't believe that well over a decade since the last credits rolled for Home and Away that an Aussie import would be a peak time show as most of them were considered only fit for daytime and teatime. What planet are STV on? Next they'll be showing some old TV movie in a peak time slot and re runs of The Equaliser at 10.35.
    I'm all for a distinctive ITV in Scotland, as it stops the BBC being complacent, but the shoddy, parochial and amateur way STV goes about it now is embarassing and I know Scottish people on here with Sky are switching to the English ITV.

Kinda was you could say but STV branded this drama as part of "Glasgow's own gang culture" :rolleyes: (yes and John Michie ran commentary in 1st series and not the woman - so we could call it an STV Dub) - at the time Underbelly was on it was against ITV Drama (again and as mentioned one of them was Gunrush which I have never seen to this day and still waiting on it to be screened by this lot!). The onlything I see STV if it was "distinctive" in Scotland was that if it took on board that not all of us that live in Scotland come from the land known as Glasgow or that we were shipped up by the River Clyde, as I see it STV just resembles just those areas (as mentioned) and that nothing outwith that area even exists "unless its necessary". I will also mention again, I liked my area as Grampian before this mess even started I even felt that Grampian TV spoke to me MORE than STV actually does, and I didnt even like Reporting Scotland back then but I would rather switch off my own news and wait til Reporting Scotland appears as its that crap!

Also to me STV has no real "identity" it makes shoddy attempts at being altogether Scotland yet it fails (make cheaper rip off programming from other networks and try and pass as one of its own.....wow really is this how bad STV has got now - I presume so but yet again they still have an advantage as STV North is there but again its a part time station with "little" in way of using other voiceovers but will happily "switch" for news - yes STV North the only part of the STV network that has been pretty much flushed down the toilet!)
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Regarding sports other than football - surely the channel could share with SKY ie backed a bid on rights and show them on STV?? I am pretty sure thats happened with a couple games on TV recently with ITV (not sure if it was UEFA or it was like Man U V Chelsea (random teams), thats what I should think should happen. Maybe if all the networks worked together and provided better for the viewer than concentrate on profits, its just greed

ITV (and by extension STV) has the rights to one Champions' League game a week, on a designated day. This is chosen by ITV PLC, as it did not negotiate a regional optout, hence the lack of Scottish teams shown unless there was no English team playing on the designated day.

It's certainly not a teaming up effort with Sky, who have the rights to all the other games (and possibly the one ITV is showing as well). They just paid more cash.

As for 'greed' - God I hate that argument. STV is a commercial business. It exists to make money for its shareholders. No-one that I know goes into the media to deliberately screw the viewers, listeners or readers over - we kinda like you - but a commercial business's first concern should be to the people who give it the money to keep going in the first place.

If you don't like that, then a) that's capitalism, and b) there's always the BBC. Believe me, if there wasn't I'd be calling for far stricter legislation.

On the technical problems in the north - have any of you guys phoned STV or written in to complain about the problems? It is perfectly possible. I know you shouldn't have to but it's more likely to deliver a practical result.

I never saw Underbelly so can't speak to the quality of the programme, but from a strictly commercial point of view STV's push towards "crime and football" during that era made a lot of sense. There's a huge following for gangster news coverage and the Old Firm, as much as both leave me completely cold, in this country (and not just in the west of Scotland, unfortunately). The two big problems here were a) With this you'd get a mass audience but not necessarily a commercially attractive audience and b) that sort of programming is male-dominated. Women are the real target audience as they make most of the purchasing decisions in a household.

It's for the best that STV is back on course and showing most of the network schedule, but personally I like the fact they tried to do something hugely different. There's too many people in management who just play it safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    ITV (and by extension STV) has the rights to one Champions' League game a week, on a designated day. This is chosen by ITV PLC, as it did not negotiate a regional optout, hence the lack of Scottish teams shown unless there was no English team playing on the designated day.

It's certainly not a teaming up effort with Sky, who have the rights to all the other games (and possibly the one ITV is showing as well). They just paid more cash.

As for 'greed' - God I hate that argument. STV is a commercial business. It exists to make money for its shareholders. No-one that I know goes into the media to deliberately screw the viewers, listeners or readers over - we kinda like you - but a commercial business's first concern should be to the people who give it the money to keep going in the first place.

If you don't like that, then a) that's capitalism, and b) there's always the BBC. Believe me, if there wasn't I'd be calling for far stricter legislation.

On the technical problems in the north - have any of you guys phoned STV or written in to complain about the problems? It is perfectly possible. I know you shouldn't have to but it's more likely to deliver a practical result.

I never saw Underbelly so can't speak to the quality of the programme, but from a strictly commercial point of view STV's push towards "crime and football" during that era made a lot of sense. There's a huge following for gangster news coverage and the Old Firm, as much as both leave me completely cold, in this country (and not just in the west of Scotland, unfortunately). The two big problems here were a) With this you'd get a mass audience but not necessarily a commercially attractive audience and b) that sort of programming is male-dominated. Women are the real target audience as they make most of the purchasing decisions in a household.

It's for the best that STV is back on course and showing most of the network schedule, but personally I like the fact they tried to do something hugely different. There's too many people in management who just play it safe.

When I say "greed" I meant it as more towards their own shareholders, yet the ones that get affected are their loyal viewers and possibly workers with their shoddiness, but as I say I would watch anything Scottish on BBC or by chance on Sky or lets say "yesterday"

regarding technical faults it has only happened ONCE that they had "faults" - there was at one time that during "the switch" Tayside got the "aberdeen (5)" news and they got the Dundee feed and yes it was acknowledged but regarding these faults mentioned I highly doubt they would take on board as they would blame it on something else I can imagine "it did not happen.....maybe its your freeview box going" (wouldnt be at all surprised)

When STV had put on Underbelly - in my opinion it was more of a "direct" reality at what "shaped" Glasgow hence why it was shown as most people I spoke to at time of showings were left baffled to why the hell it was even on! (again STV focuses Glasgow)

I would have gave STV credit if they had actually done like for like - ie say Downton was on ITV we had say Rebus then Taggart (just 2 scottish dramas off top of head) but they chose the import route for "drama" and were well over the top in the "scottishness" programming (you had to change the channel as it became more mind numbing to watch) - as others have mentioned on the threads. Reality is STV tries too hard but fails but STV needs to focus on more of "Scotland" if thats the aim other than floating on the Clyde.

edit: I would still like to add the missing dramas I spoke of have still not seen light of day in 3 years, I wouldn't mind knowing when STV will show Gunrush - again a 2 part drama that STV have swept and still nothing of it being shown now or in future - this is still a valid point when will STV viewers see these missing shows that have never been aired since diffusion?