The new Ipad. Not selling like hot cakes!!

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    You mourning flash?

Lol, good riddance, apple gave it a good kick and saved us more suffering.

all hail apple! .... it really is like a cult isn't it ......
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Its amazing how clever marketing can make people believe almost anything, or maybe theres a brainwashing app hidden somwehere in iOS ?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mourning flash?

Suffering? Do explain. I've not suffered whilst using flash since the days of dial up Internet. Been happily using it since it on a mobile platform in the form of my old HTC Hero over 3g running flash with no problems. Works pretty well on my desire hd and perfectly on my playbook.

The only suffering would be from an iOS user when opening up certain web pages only to see the dreaded Get flash notice and then being powerless to get the site to function.

I know you've been there. Don't pretend you haven't.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Suffering? Do explain. I've not suffered whilst using flash since the days of dial up Internet. Been happily using it since it on a mobile platform in the form of my old HTC Hero over 3g running flash with no problems. Works pretty well on my desire hd and perfectly on my playbook.

The only suffering would be from an iOS user when opening up certain web pages only to see the dreaded Get flash notice and then being powerless to get the site to function.

Powerless? Give me a break you can easily download another browser from the App Store.

I have hated flash ever since the days of dialup as the sites took a bloody age to load and made my computer crawl... The only annoyance is that it has took so long to die.

Even IE for Metro in Windows 8 doesn't support flash.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    That's just plain wrong, I have been using iOS for 4 years and have yet to have the system crash despite using it heavily every day with hundreds of apps.

The odd app crashes as with every OS but all you do is double click the home button and shut it down.

How do you know that the app has been totally closed? The app management is dire in iOS. In Android you can force close an app, and if you're not convinced that everything has shut down you can check all the running processes and close them down too without having to turn the phone off.....I don't see these features in iOS, and apps do freeze quite often on that OS so they really do need better task management.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there is currently a financial conference call taking place with Apple and Tim Cook said they had a record breaking weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    How do you know that the app has been totally closed? The app management is dire in iOS. In Android you can force close an app, and if you're not convinced that everything has shut down you can check all the running processes and close them down too without having to turn the phone off.....I don't see these features in iOS, and apps do freeze quite often on that OS so they really do need better task management.

Your experience was clearly different than mine, i hardly ever have an app crash, maybe once a month at the very most.

Various apps do show you the open processes even though you can't change them and I have yet to see an app that I have closed or crashed still running, the OS tends to close things like that for you.

A good OS shouldn't require the user to ever go into task manager, it should be all managed for you in the background which is what iOS does.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Your experience was clearly different than mine, i hardly ever have an app crash, maybe once a month at the very most.

Various apps do show you the open processes even though you can't change them and I have yet to see an app that I have closed or crashed still running, the OS tends to close things like that for you.

A good OS shouldn't require the user to ever go into task manager, it should be all managed for you in the background which is what iOS does.

That's like saying a good aircraft doesn't need a cockpit. There needs to be some in depth element of user control or when things go wrong the OS falls down which is what happens with iOS. When an app crashes out completely you don't have many options.

And on a tablet where apps are perhaps even more important, this seems like a glaring omission to me.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there is currently a financial conference call taking place with Apple and Tim Cook said they had a record breaking weekend.
    "We had a record weekend and we're thrilled," was a reply but declined to provide anything more specific.

http://newstech24.com/2012/03/tim-cook-announces-record-weekend-of-ipad-sales/

Funny, I thought questions were always banned though maybe that's the very last invite for him.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That analogy with cockpit isnt very good. A good OS does not crash when app crashes. You may need to kill an app, but that should be an exception not a rule. You do not switch to manual with OS. In ideal world you would not need a task manager. You still need a cockpit in a plane. It's not there just for emergencies.
  • PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they've sold 3m iPads since Friday. So possibly selling even better than hotcakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they've sold 3m iPads since Friday. So possibly selling even better than hotcakes.

Yip, 3 million in 4 days making it the fastest selling iPad yet - http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/03/19New-iPad-Tops-Three-Million.html
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would people not want to be able to view wonderful flash websites like these on a tablet? There are many sites like this, informative, beautiful, creative and functional. See when I am browsing and I come across a site, I want to be able to view it, as it was intended. We keep hearing flash is dead flash is dead, but people are still making sites in flash. Flash is still a web standard and there is a lot of existing content. If I forked out the same amount of money as a pc would cost for an ipad i would EXPECT to be able to play all web content.

What Apple did was so very wrong on many levels, punishing the web authors who have used flash and the customers who have spent good money on their device. I know a lot of you keep making excuses for them and may not even care but those of us who are cerebral and conscious enough, will feel hard done by if we could not get the most out of the web from a 2012 piece of hardware. It's just criminal.

Flash will die, but not right away. It will still be around for the next ipad as it was for the last 3, yet we've been constantly told flash is dead from the Apple faithful. I'm sorry but there is plenty justification for having flash support on a tablet.

http://waterlife.nfb.ca/
    http://www.marcecko.com/#/

Both run PERFECTLY on my playbook!

LOL @ marc ecko site on playbook :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    LOL @ marc ecko site on playbook :D:D:D

It's a slick site :cool:
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1344891

Sold 3 million in 4 days. What's that about it not selling well?
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member

Flash...sorry, but it enhanced almost no websites at all, in the early days before other video standards it was tolerated for that purpose..flash video. Most other usages were just gaudy and not for the benefit of the user, googles website is successful not because its cluttered and filled with elaborate menus and the rest, its simple. Flash encouraged sites to just reinvent the interface for no reasons at all, or fill the page with battery/cpu draining adverts and other nonsense, never mind the countless security holes. It was a mess..and good riddance.

The two sites you linked were terrible, beyond the fact that I had to deal with unblocking scripts for no reason at all..I had to wait for the stupid site to load, for what? An informercial? Give me a break. I don't care if its 5 seconds, if google took 5 seconds to load it would annoy the heck out of you. Those are the incredibly elaborate "sci fi" interfaces that don't work in reality. Flash really is the perfect name, those sites waste your time while you try to figure out whats going on, if you were trying to find something it just wastes your time. Website design has a certain amount of logic behind it, stores like amazon and ebay and google have figured out where peoples eyes go, and making an elaborate animated site is doing it for the sake of doing it, not because it is useful, once you see past the "flash" it becomes obnoxious as it becomes a barrier to finding what you want quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_meat_navigation
    "Mystery meat navigation (also known as MMN) is a disparaging term coined in 1998 by author and web designer Vincent Flanders to describe a visually attractive but concurrently inefficient, confusing, or abstruse user interface, usually one that is Internet-based[1]. Such interfaces lack a user-centered design, emphasizing aesthetic appearance, white space, and the concealment of relevant information over basic practicality and functionality."

Worst sites around are invariably "flash" based
    http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/worst-website-navigation-of-2011.html
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Most people skip generations with apple stuff. Especially the iOS devices, with 24 month phone contracts, and when the iPad 2 came out hardly any upgraded, but said they would wait for the ipad 3. Then most people that bought an ipad 2 didn't already have an ipad 1.

I do that. My iPod touch and Macbook Pro are both from 2010 and I'd only replace them if they were lost, stolen or broken beyond repair.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a sick site :cool:

corrected for you. the clothing is equally hideous

in all the time i've had an iphone/ipad i've never came across a site i really wanted to visit that i couldn't use because of a lack of flash

and if i did want to use a flash site there are numerous ways of viewing them on an iphone/ipad
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Flash...sorry, but it enhanced almost no websites at all, in the early days before other video standards it was tolerated for that purpose..flash video. Most other usages were just gaudy and not for the benefit of the user, googles website is successful not because its cluttered and filled with elaborate menus and the rest, its simple. Flash encouraged sites to just reinvent the interface for no reasons at all, or fill the page with battery/cpu draining adverts and other nonsense, never mind the countless security holes. It was a mess..and good riddance.

The two sites you linked were terrible, beyond the fact that I had to deal with unblocking scripts for no reason at all..I had to wait for the stupid site to load, for what? An informercial? Give me a break. I don't care if its 5 seconds, if google took 5 seconds to load it would annoy the heck out of you. Those are the incredibly elaborate "sci fi" interfaces that don't work in reality. Flash really is the perfect name, those sites waste your time while you try to figure out whats going on, if you were trying to find something it just wastes your time. Website design has a certain amount of logic behind it, stores like amazon and ebay and google have figured out where peoples eyes go, and making an elaborate animated site is doing it for the sake of doing it, not because it is useful, once you see past the "flash" it becomes obnoxious as it becomes a barrier to finding what you want quickly.

"Mystery meat navigation (also known as MMN) is a disparaging term coined in 1998 by author and web designer Vincent Flanders to describe a visually attractive but concurrently inefficient, confusing, or abstruse user interface, usually one that is Internet-based[1]. Such interfaces lack a user-centered design, emphasizing aesthetic appearance, white space, and the concealment of relevant information over basic practicality and functionality."

Hahaha. A worshipper at the altar of jobs ......

A very long rant dissing a tool that helped change the web forever...... think what the web was like before flash if you are old enough. Is it perfect? No. Far from. But its here to stay for a while at least.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mourning flash?

Don't believe the Jobs marketing fluff.

It was done for one very simple reason: if flash was prevalent then app developers could write once, work anywhere. They would write their apps in flash and put them on the web. That would greatly diminish Apple's app store, their last great barrier to entry, it would diminish their ability to control the platform and earn a cut of every developer's income - 30% of all app sales, app ad revenue and in-app purchases is quite a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolute nonsense! Firstly,the pages aren't that slow considering they offer a level of interactivity and creativity. Flash sites, at least the good ones are works of art and should be admired. Secondly, you can't speak for the millions of internet users what content they do or do not like. Flash is obviously an avenue that people like to explore. I've seen some amazing flash sites, which are pure flash or a combination of html and flash, which are diverse in their content and as functional as a regular site.

Just because YOU do not like flash based websites doesn't give mean that these sites do not get an audience. Im in to photography and graphic design I have seen some stunning flash sites which are a joy to use. There are good flash sites and their are bad ones, just like any other sites. The good ones work pretty well and i've no complaints. There are even web based flash site creation tools around for people who want to create a site with a little interactivity but do not have technical know how, are able to get their content online.There is still a lot of flash around and there are people who still make good use of it without any problems.

Just because Apple told you flash is crap you all go jump on the band wagon. Try thinking for yourself for a change and don't be so damn arrogant.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    all hail apple! .... it really is like a cult isn't it ......
    It is for some people who seem to be brainwashed, I have an ipad and think its absolutely brilliant, but to say it wouldnt be better with flash is quite frankly a load of tripe, I encounter sites every single day that have flash and its a pain in the ar5e, you still get people who insist they never come across flash sites though....... I call them fanboys.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i expect a lot of the people who want one, have already got one. the rest of us have more sense
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that 3 million include those they sold to Currys etc.?
    Apple's launch strategy was multi-global this time so it was likely to be a record.

Many will have have held off 3 months or so before purchasing.
    The weekend include weeks of pre-orders.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Hahaha. A worshipper at the altar of jobs ......

A very long rant dissing a tool that helped change the web forever...... think what the web was like before flash if you are old enough. Is it perfect? No. Far from. But its here to stay for a while at least.

What did I say about jobs, you think script blocking is on an ipad?

Sorry but the complaints about the horrible usability of "flash" websites like the two examples posted are completely valid and separate from any apple issue.

Bad design can happen without flash, but with flash it exploded, seems to appeal to those who barely touch a computer themselves and just think the more animated and eye dazzling the better.

It didn't change the browser, it pushed people into installing flash blocking extensions.