LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 26)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Iain Dale is starting to develop habits I suspect he picked up from JoB and that is get the inarticulate right wing listeners on the radio and put them down in an as patronising and dismissive a manner as is possible.

Why O'Brien and not the dullards that bookend him? They're as patronising and dismissive of anyone on LBC. I suppose you don't hear that. Maybe they're saying the 'right' things as they do it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'He really seems to have developed a very high opinion of himself over the last few months.'

Hubris.Pride comes before a fall.

Maybe he hasn't learnt from his attempt at becoming a Tory MP.Funny how he never became an adviser?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why O'Brien and not the dullards that bookend him? They're as patronising and dismissive of anyone on LBC. I suppose you don't hear that. Maybe they're saying the 'right' things as they do it?

Given up 100% on JHB,just could not take anymore of her inaccurate portrayal of Brit life.Plus those sneering tweets the other day...Ugh...:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was banned for calling a presenter a total waste of time. Someone complained that the initials were a misspelling of a part of the female anatomy. :eek:

I'll probably get banned again for talking about now. :mad:

Tis a pity a forum was not more open minded,i thought we were all over eighteen and lived fill lives where sometimes bad words can be spoken by grown ups.I dont believe it would that common but sometimes a bit of sarcasm can be enjoyable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to NF today and had....to...er...um...agree with him.:o...It was a bit much for me and in true NF fashion got his dig in at me agreeing with him..:yawn:.I was almost speechless but when i wanted to fire back..and he knew...i got cut off...Well played NF..i live to fight another day...I have had several cold showers and an enema to cleanse myself...:p
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to NF today and had....to...er...um...agree with him.:o...It was a bit much for me and in true NF fashion got his dig in at me agreeing with him..:yawn:.I was almost speechless but when i wanted to fire back..and he knew...i got cut off...Well played NF..i live to fight another day...I have had several cold showers and an enema to cleanse myself...:p

'I'm only cutting you off to allow more callers in' :D
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are your serious? He puts down anyone who shows any kind of criticism to right-wing politics. Say anything mean about Cameron and he cuts them off.

Slightly harsh perhaps...

I find him far more tolerant than say Brien or Ferrari.The latter at least has a tight broadcast schedule -O' B seems to do it more for effect .
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain talking about Workaholics after Sir Alex retirement. He said " There are lot working for LBC.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    changed my mind!!!
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh joy, a big football story! I hope we don't spend the rest of the day speculating on the next Man. U manager. Still, I suppose it's even worse if you live in Manchester and aren't interested.

Manchester Utd fans living in....... Manchester?????

:eek::eek::eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    changed my mind!!!

I scrolled back through the comments to try and work out what you changed your mind about. No luck, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Urban myth.Surrey had flags at half mast today....:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, in my experience, most Mancunians support Man City.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's top of the agendy today. The Queen Speech has been swept under the carpet.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member
    Oh joy, a big football story! I hope we don't spend the rest of the day speculating on the next Man. U manager. Still, I suppose it's even worse if you live in Manchester and aren't interested.

Morning all. :)

I've had to keep switching LBC off for most of today.

First Farrari hyping it up with the 'breaking news', then JOB in the first hour (luckily I avoid JOB's show now anyway). JHB then kicks off with the same and now Iain Dale has just done an hour on it. For god's sake..

I know I'm not a football fan but really, in the grand scheme of world affiars, is it that big a story?
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And one could be forgiven for thinking that the trial of Stuart Hazell who was headline news for many days last August, was not happening. From what I've heard so far on LBC and 5 Live no mention there at all, And barely any discussion on the Queen's Speech. What a sad state British radio is in when bl**dy football related matters always take precedence over everything else..:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    I've had to keep switching LBC off for most of today.

First Farrari hyping it up with the 'breaking news', then JOB in the first hour (luckily I avoid JOB's show now anyway). JHB then kicks off with the same and now Iain Dale has just done an hour on it. For god's sake..

I know I'm not a football fan but really, in the grand scheme of world affiars, is it that big a story?

I've been a football fan for more years than I care to remember but, unfortunately, some (most) of the presenters weren't. This made for pretty dire broadcasting imo.

If it had been Ian Payne presenting, that would have been a very different story. There's a chap who really knows his stuff.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    , And barely any discussion on the Queen's Speech. What a sad state British radio is in when bl**dy football related matters always take precedence over everything else..:(

I was listening from 5pm and Iain was talking about the Queen's Speech with Tom Cheal and a Lib Dem MP (funny nobody from UKIP ;)), he also had Norman Lamb MP, Minister of State for Care and Support lined up for later. I switched off after the 5.30pm, however just switched on again and he is talking about the Queen's Speech again!

Now can we discuss David Beckham's left boot !!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm from Manchester and have never followed football. I didn't even play it at school as it was a rugby school. Incidentally, most of the people I've known that have been into football have been Man U fans. I dread derby nights as it means the emptying of pubs will mean one angry bunch of fans will be looking for some kind of 'release'.

However, whilst LBC's coverage has been a bit overkill, but the reality is, like a lot of other things, football is more important to people in general than politics or current affairs. The sport pages of papers like the Sun basically keep them afloat. More people travel to matches than attend rallies or conferences, wear football-related clothes than political t-shirts or ties &c. Even with massive ticket fees, they have a relationship with football that they'll never have - a relationship that can border on hysteria. Look at what happens during world cups &c., then compare the general interest in elections.

Also, according to Forbes, Man U are worth $3.17bn, only just losing the title of 'world most valuable sports team', which they'd held since 2004 when the list was first started. It's a fairly significant business story. Not to mention the fact that Ferguson holds various managerial records &c.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm from Manchester and have never followed football. I didn't even play it at school as it was a rugby school. Incidentally, most of the people I've known that have been into football have been Man U fans. I dread derby nights as it means the emptying of pubs will mean one angry bunch of fans will be looking for some kind of 'release'.

However, whilst LBC's coverage has been a bit overkill, but the reality is, like a lot of other things, football is more important to people in general than politics or current affairs. The sport pages of papers like the Sun basically keep them afloat. More people travel to matches than attend rallies or conferences, wear football-related clothes than political t-shirts or ties &c. Even with massive ticket fees, they have a relationship with football that they'll never have - a relationship that can border on hysteria. Look at what happens during world cups &c., then compare the general interest in elections.

Also, according to Forbes, Man U are worth $3.17bn, only just losing the title of 'world most valuable sports team', which they'd held since 2004 when the list was first started. It's a fairly significant business story. Not to mention the fact that Ferguson holds various managerial records &c.

Nigel Farage has just been announced new manager of Man Utd...
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member
    It's a problem I find on Saturday afternoons too. I listen to the radio because I want news discussions, not pop music, not radio 4 dramas, not old goon shows and not old chart rundown shows. So what do LBC do?

Finish Petri Hoskin early and go to a football/sport program. Sport. Something I can get anywhere else on any other station on a Saturday afternoon, even the pop music ones, ie latest scores etc.

For radio, I find the Saturday afternoons a real dead spot. There's nothing else except Saturday Classics sometimes on radio 3 if I'm desperate. I don't suppose it's just me either. I'm nothing special.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    So what do LBC do? Finish Petri Hoskin early

Never a bad thing in my opinion :rolleyes:
    . I'm nothing special.

Awww.... Petri probably thinks you are.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain to me the relevance of that very bad Louis Armstrong impersonation in the "Coffee Bean Shop" ad?

It hits you right of the blue, and seems completely superfluous.

Am I missing something? :confused:
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel Farage has just been announced new manager of Man Utd...

Given the number of foreign players in the team and the league in general, I doubt he will be able to cope. :D
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'He really seems to have developed a very high opinion of himself over the last few months.'

Hubris.Pride comes before a fall.
    HappyTree wrote: »
    I listened to him when he began on the internet radio station Play Radio as part of a talk station project piloted by Tommy Boyd and Duncan Barkes. Now he's on "real" radio and I suppose has people blowing sm....um, being exceptionally supportive. It's hard to remain as self-critical as normal under such conditions. I believe this is called Ricky Gervais Syndrome ;)
    Are your serious? He puts down anyone who shows any kind of criticism to right-wing politics. Say anything mean about Cameron and he cuts them off.
    Maybe he hasn't learnt from his attempt at becoming a Tory MP.Funny how he never became an adviser?

Poor ID's coming in for a lot of stick lately. If all this is true, it seems he must have had a personality transplant since I was listening to his evening show.
    (I don't hear drivetime).

Personally I would prefer him back 7 - 10pm followed by Clive at 10 - 1am but I don't think Clive would.
This discussion has been closed.