Early Doors, Gold 7/09

2»

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    You can keep The Office - the best comedy drama of the decade was Early Doors by a long way.

Both were good at the time but Early Doors has aged so much better than The Office, which is odd when you consider just how much pubs have changed over the past few years. You've got people smoking inside FFS. :o

What's so great about Early Doors is that it always edges just short of descending into sentimentality, something that The Royle Family failed at repeatedly. Some of the understated emotion from John Henshaw in the latter episodes is just brilliant.

Another thing about Early Doors is how the whole cast is so good - nobody puts a foot wrong.

I love the exchange between Jean and Winnie when they are discussing how Tanya became a widow:

Winnie: He had a heart attack.

Jean: (gasps) A heart attack!?

Winnie: Yeah, she came home from work and there 'e were - dead on the conservatory floor.

Jean: (gasps) A conservatory!
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy at its finest.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that the first time I watched through Early Doors I found it hard to see it as anything other than a rehash of the Royle Family (which before The Office had been my favourite comedy ever). To me the characters were slightly more stereotypical, the dialogue a bit less natural and the drama elements a lot more forced. Maybe my view was tainted a bit by the disappointing fall in quality of the third season of The Royles.

The second time through though I forgot about the comparisons and just accepted it for what it is, an extremely well written and funny show with strong character actors. The fact that we can all remember our favourite scenes and bits of dialogue is proof enough of the quality. Personally I think it does trade realism for traditional comedy in certain situations (the police officers are a notable example) and the drama elements are a bit clunky, but overall it does a good job of keeping a naturalistic tone.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twin Cheeks!
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You want a pint Tommy?"
    "No! I'll stay on me own"
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Brilliant series and one I can watch over and over.

Ken: [talking about Joan and Eddie] If they were any thicker, they'd set :D
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Do you like Circuses?
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheer up sleepy Jean!
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can only agree with all the compliments. Observational comedy at it's best with some superb one liners and two of sitcoms best 'double acts.' Joan and Eddie are magnificent and as mentioned the 'do you like circuses' piece is a classic. Phil and Nige are just priceless with loads of excellent moments.

I think it's another comedy that benefited from a relatively short run as it would have been difficult to keep up the standard of writing. Great stuff.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Leave me alone, Eddie. I'm having a s***'
    'Don't be expecting Joe back soon, Duffy. He's having a s***'
    'Joe's just having a s***, Joan'

Had me roaring with laughter.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Early Doors is one of the best comedies ever.
    You'd be laughing one minute and crying the next. Fantastic writing and a brilliant cast.

I was cheering when Ken clocked Melanie's real Dad.
    Tick tock.
    :D

Jean - Well, he had her over a barrel, dint 'e?
    Winnie - That's what I heard.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    The episode with the quiz night is a masterclass in how to slander people without menioning any names.:D

Superb series. quiz had me in hysterics.
    John Leslie mentioned in 3 answers, Ken,.wouldnt you think the press would leave the poor lad alone.
    Then at the end of the quiz, can you repeat the answer to question 32 Ken.that was a 3 part question. A Blue Peter. B Wheel of Fortune. C This Morning.

Answer to question 20. Rent Boys.
    Answer to question 21 Fred Elliot.

Answer to question 30, picture question .this threw a lot of you, a lot of people thought it was Les Dawson but in fact it was Ann Widdicombe.