Best thing to sedate a dog for a car journey?

LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
Forum Member
Im going on holiday next week with my daughter...and 2 grand daughters and the dog :D

Its about a 2/3 hour drive to where we are going but Max is an over excited traveller shall we say lol.. Even a 10 min trip in the car and hes crying and yelping.I have one of those restraints you click on to his collar and put in the seat belt other wise he would be sat on my knee ...dashboard...head rest lol.

The car isnt a huge one so space is a bit tight plus luggage. Would the vet give me something to keep him a bit calmer for the trip there and back. Hes a jack russell The grand kids are 9 and 2 so keeping them amused is going to be hard enough lol.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may do but I would urge you to find another way even if it means he sits on someone's knee the entire journey, we were advised to do it to one of our late girls and regretted it greatly as it took a good two days for her to be able to enjoy her holiday with us as she was so tired and down.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    If he wasnt so hyper it wouldnt be to bad lol..Hes an absolute nutter lol. Will ask the vet for the best way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you carry him, we found changing the arrangements has helped our current two to settle and stop whining, instead of the boot area where I imagined they had loads of room so would be happy they are now attached to seat belts on the back seat and they behave like angels. Who knew too much space would send them into a frenzy :confused:
    Forum Member
    The car is an agila bit like a postman pats van but smaller lol.. So the boot will have the luggage in. Max will have to sit on my daughters knee shes 37 and one of my grand daughters shes 9 and in a Kevin and Perry mood at the moment will be sat there . The baby shes 2 will be in the front in her car seat

So there isnt much room for him to be his usual bouncing..whining..self lol.Plus I will want to end up killing the lot of them by the end of the journey lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case he may well settle better, I would try it before sedating him, as sedating doesn't always mean quiet, Katie used to be asleep on the journey then moan and whine for the two days after as she felt so bad. Vet reckoned it was typical behaviour so we never did it again.
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We once had to sedate one of our dogs, similar problem and it was a 4 hr drive. We got it from the Vets (can't remember the name), they said give 1 hr before the drive, but we found he was as lively as normal all on the drive and only conked out once we got there.
    So we did not bother on the way back, especially as it was night time. When dark they all just settle down.

Maybe put blankets on windows and such, might help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good point all of ours have travelled better at night, if they can't see the landscape moving they have all been quiet and settled down to sleep. Covering a cage would be best I guess as obscuring the drivers vision sounds a bit unsafe.
    Forum Member
    Just to let you know went to the vet explained about the holiday and she gave me sorry sold me some tablets to get him there and back.

Gave him them an hour before we set off and he was a bit dopy. He slept the whole way to Wales.

He was ok by the night time.

Did the same coming home and it made the journey so much better just had a daughter and 2 grand kids to deal with pity I couldnt have got them something to knock them out lol.

Max had a lovely time on the beach each night well till he got stuck in the mud and had to be pulled out lol. And he even took on 4 seagulls who were tryng to rip a bin bag open he had a ball lol.
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased it worked and you had a good journey. :)
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I usually take my dog for a good run to knacker him out.
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    I usually take my dog for a good run to knacker him out.

Normal dogs that might work on Max is a Jack Russell crossed with a long distance runner lol. I could take him to the park and go back 12 hours later and he would still be running round lol..