Options

Dan Jarvis will be the next Labour leader before 2020

ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Corbyn will undoubtedly be a flop and the euphoria around him will evaporate. Dan will hopefully stand in 2-3 years time as leader and save the party and get us back into government. Come on Dan!

Comments

• Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    ICON111 wrote: »
    Corbyn will undoubtedly be a flop with the euphoria around him will evaporate. Dan will hopefully stand in 2-3 years time as leader and save the party and get us back into government. Come on Dan!

On what policy platform? Tory - like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On what policy platform? Tory - like?

On intelligent, centrist policies not the Alice In Wonderland policies that Corbyn promotes. Dan is a real leader in waiting.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I believe, too.
    That by early 2018 he will be leader, perhaps with Liz Kendall as deputy, to give Labour its best chance in years.
  • Options
    LieteLiete Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jeremy Corbyn will be accused of being "too right wing" and replaced with someone else by the agitators that have now taken over the party. Diane Abbott perhaps?

They will never allow Jarvis anywhere near the top job. The pragmatists are all going to be viciously removed from the party over the coming years.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get all this Jarvis fandom.

Just what is it about him that's so wonderful? I've heard him speak several times and he's nothing special. His background is unusual for a Labour politician, and he has some very unfortunate stuff going on in his private life, but quite why he's seen as the saviour I just don't know.

Where does he stand on Corbyn's pacifism I wonder?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liete wrote: »
    I think Jeremy Corbyn will be accused of being "too right wing" and replaced with someone else by the agitators that have now taken over the party. Diane Abbott perhaps?

They will never allow Jarvis anywhere near the top job. The pragmatists are all going to be viciously removed from the party over the coming years.

A very undemocratic and intolerant purge then?

Mind you, the PLP hold the cards regarding any leadership challenge (and potential candidates, as long as they don't do anything stupid again)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On intelligent, centrist policies not the Alice In Wonderland policies that Corbyn promotes. Dan is a real leader in waiting.

Tory-like, as I said. Don't the public deserve a real choice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    That by early 2018 he will be leader, perhaps with Liz Kendall as deputy, to give Labour its best chance in years.

... and the British people to "enjoy" more austerity and Right wing policies.

Lovely.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and the British people to "enjoy" more austerity and Right wing policies.

Lovely.

It isn't right wing. Didn't you know that Cameron and co. are just sensible centrists? Meanwhile, Corbyn and his SDP-reminiscent platform is probably to the left of Joe Stalin. Or something.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

What a nightmare :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is it that Jarvis has that's so special?

It seems like David Miliband 2.0 - hyped in the media and the usual sections of the party but there's really nothing to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tory-like, as I said. Don't the public deserve a real choice?

A REALISTIC choice, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

Just what is it about him that's so wonderful? I've heard him speak several times and he's nothing special. His background is unusual for a Labour politician, and he has some very unfortunate stuff going on in his private life, but quite why he's seen as the saviour I just don't know.

He seems measured, realistic and sensible, embedded in the central ground yet with a strong desire for social justice, unlike Corbyn.
    His background is impeccable for mass appeal - comprehensive education, uni, then notable military service.
    Therefore he has recent life experience beyond politics, Corbyn was an official for two unions then went into politics more than 40 years ago.
    He is not linked just to North London, but is from the Midlands, has a northern constituency, went to uni in Wales, and, just to make the shires happy, did his military training at Sandhurst.
    The 'unfortunate stuff' in his private life is sad but a situation many voters would quietly sympathise with as he's endeavoured to build a new life for his children.
    When it comes to mass appeal he is a greater antidote to the smug, slick and oily Tory leadership than Corbyn. People want to have trust in their leader and if Labour are to pull off the Blair trick again they need someone who is nothing like Blair but still ticks all the boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A REALISTIC choice, yes.

Keep going, your're getting very close to right-wing establishment bingo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems measured, realistic and sensible, embedded in the central ground yet with a strong desire for social justice, unlike Corbyn.
    His background is impeccable for mass appeal - comprehensive education, uni, then notable military service.
    Therefore he has recent life experience beyond politics, Corbyn was an official for two unions then went into politics more than 40 years ago.
    He is not linked just to North London, but is from the Midlands, has a northern constituency, went to uni in Wales, and, just to make the shires happy, did his military training at Sandhurst.
    The 'unfortunate stuff' is his private life is sad but a situation many voters would quietly sympathise with as he's endeavoured to build a new life for his children.
    When it comes to mass appeal he is a greater antidote to the smug, slick and oily Tory leadership than Corbyn. People want to have trust in their leader and if Labour are to pull off the Blair trick again they need someone who is nothing like Blair but still ticks all the boxes.

So no policies or views of any note whatsoever then?
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »

He would need time to build them. Its far too early to second guess anything Jarvis would do should he become leader but he gave a superb speech on how he would reform education a few months ago.

On his views, I would say as with most of Labour he is very Centre Left.

If Labour do oust Corbyn then they need to do all they can to get Jarvis in. He is their secret weapon imho, the Tories would lose the will to live overnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »

OK - he is against fracking; has been touring the country where UKIP are strong because he believes Labour have lost touch with people they should be standing up for; would like to ban 'legal highs' that have led to deaths and illnesses; believes strong trade unions are necessary, particularly in an era of low pay and job insecurity; that frontline local public services must be properly funded; abolishing the bedroom tax; ending all zero hours contracts.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    He would need time to build them. Its far too early to second guess anything Jarvis would do should he become leader but he gave a superb speech on how he would reform education a few months ago.

If Labour do oust Corbyn then they need to do all they can to get Jarvis in. He is their secret weapon imho, the Tories would lose the will to live overnight.

Agree about Jarvis, he is the one labour candidate I would not hesitate to vote for, I saw the aforementioned speech it was very good, and he always speaks well in parliament when I have seen him. I greatly sympathise with him as to why he decided not to run though.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jenzen wrote: »
    Agree about Jarvis, he is the one labour candidate I would not hesitate to vote for, I saw the aforementioned speech it was very good, and he always speaks well in parliament when I have seen him. I greatly sympathise with him as to why he decided not to run though.

Yes, I have to agree on all of that.

The big question is over his policies, but that should become much clearer over time. At the very least, from what I have seen, he will have more hard policies than Kendall, Cooper & Burnham put together.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - he is against fracking; has been touring the country where UKIP are strong because he believes Labour have lost touch with people they should be standing up for; would like to ban 'legal highs' that have led to deaths and illnesses; believes strong trade unions are necessary, particularly in an era of low pay and job insecurity; that frontline local public services must be properly funded; abolishing the bedroom tax; ending all zero hours contracts.

Hardly a manifesto that will have the Tories quaking.

Wouldn't be very popular with the many people who have zero hours and like them. It needs more regulating, and whilst there are too many companies relying too heavily on zero hours, it's crazy just to ban them.

Then again, it fits nicely with Labour's love of telling people how to live their lives.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notable military service.
    ...did his military training at Sandhurst.

I'd hope we aren't turning into the US, where you have to either be ex military or totally 100% support everything about the military to get a sniff of power.

It's a job that people choose to do. Just like any other.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look the forum seers are out again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=moox;79615499]I'd hope we aren't turning into the US, where you have to either be ex military or totally 100% support everything about the military to get a sniff of power.

It's a job that people choose to do. Just like any other.[/QUOTE]

Clearly we are not turning in to the US. If he ends up leading Labour, Jarvis will probably be the only candidate of a major party with a military background. It's possible that some of the others might also have CVs which include work outside politics.

And, as you say, it's just the job he did, so no need to look down on him for it either, after all we wouldn't castigate him because his parents were a probation officer and a lecturer. I hope we're not turning into a country where decorated military service is sneered at.
  • Options
    samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

huh? in what way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huh? in what way

From the Guardian
    ]Dan Jarvis isn’t just unusual in being a member of parliament who’s had an actual job – and a dangerous, difficult and highly responsible job, at that – he’s also that rare beast, an ex-army man who’s also a lefty. Isn’t voting Conservative actually part of the curriculum at Sandhurst?
    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/dec/28/rising-stars-2015-dan-jarvis-politician