Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #17

12346»

Comments

• jimbojimbo Posts: 16,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    There's plenty of available numbers between 101 & 999, they're just in the wrong places. If you were being cynical you could argue it's partly Sky's fault for not having a better long term plan that would have allocated more EPG numbers to each genre for future expansion. Added to this is Sky's reluctance to lose EPG numbers 301, 401, 501 for Movies, Sports & News, can't remember what these genre's used to start at it's been that long and then you've got other genre's that have been moved around to different numbers ranges on most reshuffles (or squeeze up's). I'ts probably not all Sky's fault but they must take some of the responsibility for some genre's having no space left for new launches.

Not sure I agree with "becoming a very crowded platform" as there's nothing new currently launching, only time we get a additional launch is when a broadcaster goes HD.

Must take the opportunity to ask you if in your opinion there's any chance of Sky opening the SD launch queue again, especially if broadcasters agree to appear on Sky+HD boxes only (via DVB-S2 if necessary)?

Edit: By the way sorry for posting some of this twice but I didn't get time to edit my original post. Also thanks for the explanation on the 'Irish TV' transponder move the info is much appreciated as always.

The lists used to start as

101+ Entertainment
    301+ Movies
    401+ Sport
    501+ News
    550+ Documentaries
    601+ Kids
    630+ Shopping
    700+ SBO
    800+ U Direct then International
    851+ Music Choice then Radio
    900+ Radio then Adult

At least I think that is how it was but I cannot remember eactly.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would any "new" channels be launched if Sky opened the SD launch queue again or would they be rehashed channels of repeated programmes. We see programmes now repeated over and over again on various channels without having any more channels to add to the epg mess.

It is even the same with those shopping channels, last time I looked they were just selling the same old crud from various channels.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Would any "new" channels be launched if Sky opened the SD launch queue again or would they be rehashed channels of repeated programmes. We see programmes now repeated over and over again on various channels without having any more channels to add to the epg mess.

It is even the same with those shopping channels, last time I looked they were just selling the same old crud from various channels.

Good point its quite possible that we have come to a point that if sky are forcibly reducing repeats that we could see less channels even if the HD launch queue was reopened.

Although it would mean that the likes of BBC could launch temporary SD red button channels very easily in the future, as they wouldn't need to trade slots off other broadcasters.

It really is time SD channels started switching to MPEG4/AVC/h.264 anyway as it would reduce costs, starting with niche channels but eventually extending to more popular channels.

I would also say its likely people who don't have HD/internet connectable boxes at the moment might start wanting them if +1 channels go, with the repeats going to Sky's on demand service which I see would be likely.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    I personally don't like the Freesat approach, much prefer Sky's current plan to have everything on it's own EPG number. It's a lot easier to set recordings and recording in SD helps save space on the HDD.

I can't see any reason the box software couldn't be modified to have HD/SD on the same EPG number, with some way to toggle between HD or SD recording in the Schedule. This would help unclutter the EPG and retain the ability to record SD for those that want to save disk space. IIRC Freesat actually has this ability (to offer an SD stream when you set a recording from an HD channel, even if it's not on the EPG itself), though it's not used currently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    I can't see any reason the box software couldn't be modified to have HD/SD on the same EPG number, with some way to toggle between HD or SD recording in the Schedule. This would help unclutter the EPG and retain the ability to record SD for those that want to save disk space. IIRC Freesat actually has this ability (to offer an SD stream when you set a recording from an HD channel, even if it's not on the EPG itself), though it's not used currently.

Not sure how the recording facility works on DirecTV, but in the USA, you either get HD or SD not both. If you have the HD service you get, for example your local ABC NBC whaqt4ever service in HD and the SD version is not on the EPG. The EPG numbers are the same.

I do not know if you have the choice to record in SD if you want to though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

Not noticed this before but it must have happened ages ago

10.803 H

BBC Asian Net - relabelled "BBC Asian"

11.680 V

Absolute CR - relabelled "Classic Rock"

Sorry but I do not know when these changed!

BTW update to follow shortly
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Viacom and Sky renew their partnership, and extend it to Channel 5:

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/news/sky-and-viacom.aspx?year=2015

And has also put over 100 people out of a job thanks to C5 sales being closed down as it will have no use.
    So round of applause to Viacom-UK for that great stroke of wisdom!!!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 18 is now available. Please post your observations here.

The thread will be changed still on a weekly basis, on Thursday this week
    Week 16 will be posted around 8 May and will run for approx 1 week. Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread week 18 can be found
    Here
This discussion has been closed.