Options

Wireless music player that connects to a NAS

fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am looking for a reasonably priced portable wireless music player that will access music stored on my NAS. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably, I am looking for an all-in-one (incl. speaker) that does not require a PC connection (apart from the initial set up maybe).
Thx

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fletchem wrote: »
    I am looking for a reasonably priced portable wireless music player that will access music stored on my NAS. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably, I am looking for an all-in-one (incl. speaker) that does not require a PC connection (apart from the initial set up maybe).
    Thx

You could set up a raspberry pi to access the NAS music, and connect (powered|) speakers to the headphone socket. Many guides how to do this. Cost < £40.
    You would control via a mobile phone or tablet.
  • Options
    fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Oilman. I was thinking of just adding active speakers to an old tablet, but I quite like the idea of a portable speaker/DAB/NAS unit that looks good on a shelf. However, this might finally make me bite the bullet and have a play with a pi device.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I am looking for a reasonably priced portable wireless music player that will access music stored on my NAS...
    If you don't mind used, check out (popular auction site for) "Philips NP3900 Streamium Network Music Player".
    Philips streamuim range include audio and video network media streamers (DLNA clients, suitable for NAS).
    The above model is a table-top music/photo receiver.
    I still have a stack AV streamer, though that was scart/SD only but has a display to navigate menus without a TV for playing music.
    I don't know if the online portal is still supported, if it is there are numerous music channels receivable, but it will always be able to stream content from the local network.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Oilman. I was thinking of just adding active speakers to an old tablet, but I quite like the idea of a portable speaker/DAB/NAS unit that looks good on a shelf. However, this might finally make me bite the bullet and have a play with a pi device.
    it is easy to stream internet radio stations as well. buy one of the local fm transmitters (legal) and you can listen on any
    fm radio. you can even set up pi as an fm transmitter but this is more dubious legally.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Also discontinued, Logitech Squeezebox music clients, these use a proprietary alternative to DLNA, which users claim is much more suited to music files, but it depends if your NAS can run the special server software, otherwise it's a case of leaving a Windows PC on to act as the music server, or using another Squeezebox (these can serve music from USB attached storage to squeezbox clients on the network).
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Roberts Radio Stream.
    It is a DAB /FM radio built in wifi, has a usb socket, Internet radio, plays music from my NAS....have never used the Last FM link though.
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thx

There are two ways of doing this. If you want to use the NAS as simple remote file storage your options are very limited other than a laptop or tablet. Several of the above suggestions assume that you are willing/able to set up your NAS as a UPnP/DLNA media server. In that case you have a wide choice of current devices at a range of prices.

My suggestion would be a suitable Internet radio like the Roberts mentioned above. This gives you a conventional portable DAB radio which will also play your remote files (by WiFi or LAN connection) and access Internet radio.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    cp2 wrote: »
    I have a Roberts Radio Stream.
    It is a DAB /FM radio built in wifi, has a usb socket, Internet radio, plays music from my NAS....have never used the Last FM link though.

The new ones now also let you record to a USB drive or SD card, a pretty useful feature.