Why are atheist so angry?

Comments

• Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    I don't remember picking out any particular thread. You posted 6 threads.

You were implying that the positive thread I made was designed to slate religion, which it wasn't.

Don't feign ignorance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this is impressive someone starts a wind-up thread to get things going and to amuse posting one-liner adhominen attacks and see who much of a WUM they can be and people are still feeding him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I don't know why people have to be reigned in though. That should be the mods' role.

Indeed. I also don't see why it should be other posters responsibility to reign in those on their 'side' (for lack of a better word) we are not in gangs, this is not jets v sharks. Why should I be in charge of what other people post simply on the grounds that we are both atheists?
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    You were implying that the positive thread I made was designed to slate religion, which it wasn't.

Don't feign ignorance.

What are you on about? Where did I imply that? You seem intent on trying to make yourself seem clever or are you playing the victim?

Don't you think that I'm brave enough to come out and say it directly to you?

But having said that,I wouldn't put it pass you to do that.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atheists are probably angry about a lot of the same things as many theists are. Being late for work, stepping unshoed on a pointy object, genocide.

But threatening children with eternal torture, oppressing groups of people purely because our dead ancestors thought it might be a good idea, denying the findings of science because it doesn't teach us that we had it right all along, denying modern medicine to children because the gods know best, starving, choking, murdering children because they are "possessed", I do take issue with that. Where some don't, because of theism. Somehow believing in gods makes some things okay, when it wouldn't have been, without such beliefs.

This..

Atheists are aware of all the rubbish ancient religions & cultures believed, including the bit about men being superior to women and even now, the possibility of a female Pope scares some Cathoilics.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Indeed. I also don't see why it should be other posters responsibility to reign in those on their 'side' (for lack of a better word) we are not in gangs, this is not jets v sharks. Why should I be in charge of what other people post simply on the grounds that we are both atheists?
    Yes, people are responsible only for what they post.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »

Yes we are not really teams, are we. I came to the point of wanting to understand why people think differently than I do. Back to Dawkins, I even went as far as to look at his favorite books growing up, to see what influenced him. The Red Strangers was one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    This..

Atheists are aware of all the rubbish ancient religions & cultures believed, including the bit about men being superior to women and even now, the possibility of a female Pope scares some Cathoilics.

On the other side of the coin you can also say we can't see the positive side. When you don't believe in something you have no idea what personal faith has on your existence. I can make a educated guess and say its nice not fearing death and having my good behaviour rewarded, but I have no idea what that actually feels like. I think some tend to focus on the negative side of the religion because the positive stuff can only really come through belief, and that is completely alien
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes we are not really teams, are we. I came to the point of wanting to understand why people think differently than I do. Back to Dawkins, I even went as far as to look at his favorite books growing up, to see what influenced him. The Red Strangers was one.

Its tiring, especially as its a subject that has so many possibilities and yet it always ends like this. Anyway The Red Strangers is on my list of books books I will read one day. So far the list itself is enormous :o I'm a fan of Dawkins, not so keen on his brazen approach but I agree with the content.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about? Where did I imply that? You seem intent on trying to make yourself seem clever or are you playing the victim?

Don't you think that I'm brave enough to come out and say it directly to you?

But having said that,I wouldn't put it pass you to do that.

You've got be aware of some posters.
    Forum Member
    Titan9 wrote: »
    You've got be aware of some posters.

Yep,I know.
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't say that. Do you want to be their next target?

Thanks anyway.

So brave.
    Forum Member
    So brave.

Thank you.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came to the point of wanting to understand why people think differently than I do..

Did you get as far as the Jungian type theory, and its modern day equivalent, the ubiquitous Myers-Briggs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Did you get as far as the Jungian type theory, and its modern day equivalent, the ubiquitous Myers-Briggs?

I did one of those type of tests as a student. Not sure it was the Myers-Briggs but I remember being told I am an INFJ, no idea if that is good or bad. *runs to google* hopefully Bollywood can tell me, though she will probably say INFJ is an abbreviation for someone who is really weird
  • GPGP Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Surely this should be titled 'Why do grown adults believe in fairy tales' or 'I'm an adult yet i feel the need to cling onto make believe.' etc etc
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GP wrote: »
    Surely this should be titled 'Why do grown adults believe in fairy tales' or 'I'm an adult yet i feel the need to cling onto make believe.' etc etc

Will you stop oppressing imrightok? :mad:
    Forum Member
    GP wrote: »

I'm sure as an "adult",you are capable of composing your own thread,and then you can call it whatever you want.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    And what conveniently escaped your notice is that I said "anti-smoking" but I said "religious oriented" not anti religious threads.

And the fact is when religion is mentioned everyone knows that the nasty comments will follow; and I'm sure you're well aware of that.

So, you are now claiming these two paragraphs are regarding two different threads?

It seems pretty obvious to me, "and the", that they are about the same thread, the pro-religion one, right?

If they are indeed about the same thread, then re-read your post 301.
    Forum Member
    So, you are now claiming these two paragraphs are regarding two different threads?

It seems pretty obvious to me, "and the", that they are about the same thread, the pro-religion one, right?

If they are indeed about the same thread, then re-read your post 301.

You keep going on about your one "pro" thread,so that you can (in your mind) absolve yourself from contributing to the constant religious " bashing".............'It weren't me gov, I'm morally above that' , it's those religious type'.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You keep going on about your one "pro" thread,so that you can (in your mind) absolve yourself from contributing to the constant religious " bashing".............'It weren't me gov, I'm morally above that' , it's those religious type'.

Well at the moment we have "Atheist Bashing" and I've seen "gay bashing" on the threads... In fact there are plenty of threads bashing one thing or another... Everyone should just chill out and go Bash a Bishop or something ;)
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    Well at the moment we have "Atheist Bashing" and I've seen "gay bashing" on the threads... In fact there are plenty of threads bashing one thing or another... Everyone should just chill out and go Bash a Bishop or something ;)

But ... I don't have a Bishop.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    Indeed. On most subjects, such as vegetarianism, football, gun ownership, immigration etc, people will disagree with each other, as they are entitled to. Religion isn't unique and shouldn't be given special consideration.

You even get people who think it's OK to talk about denying other people rights that they enjoy, such as marriage, for instance. People are entitled to disagree with them, when they express those views and vice versa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    But ... I don't have a Bishop.

You could always do what Alice Tinker does in Vicar of Dibley... "Hide the purple Parsnip" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Indeed. On most subjects, such as vegetarianism, football, gun ownership, immigration etc, people will disagree with each other, as they are entitled to. Religion isn't unique and shouldn't be given special consideration.

You even get people who think it's OK to talk about denying other people rights that they enjoy, such as marriage, for instance. People are entitled to disagree with them, when they express those views and vice versa.

Oh i've been involved in those threads... Usually challenging that view point :D

I agree, people will always disagree with something, especially on here. i've had my share of disagreements but it's part and parcel of the forums.

I've seen the OP post on various things and I am always intrigued with his reasons (when you can actually get one) for saying some of the things he does.

Religion doesn't bother me, as long as people don't use it to discriminate against others or deny them rights/equality. Religion is a belief. It should have no place in Law or government. Those days should be long gone. Personal beliefs should not affect the lives of others.
    I like to think that if you hold personal religious beliefs, no one should tell you you are wrong, but at the same time, your views shouldn't be forced upon others. If that makes sense? Even those that share a belief will differ in thought.
This discussion has been closed.