Why don't the press care much about The Voice?

Comments

• Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are talent shows both have singers who audition so making comparisons is fair.

You don't watch X Factor so wouldn't actually know anything about talent or X Factor's history of successful artists outside of the show.

Actually Last I used to watch it but it was because of the lack of talent I stopped watching.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly because they aren't being bunged bribes to hype the show up like happens with X Factor...
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the press are only interested in negative stories about people who are on shows like The Factor and The Voice, and as The Voice only has contestants who seem to be pretty decent people then the press are not interested in printing positive stories.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    In theory a programme like The Voice should work because it's all about "the voice" and not someone's looks.

Which ironically is why it doesn't work. They could have the voice of an angel but are completely unmarketable.

Anyone remember who won last time and what she's doing now?
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In theory a programme like The Voice should work because it's all about "the voice" and not someone's looks.

Which ironically is why it doesn't work. They could have the voice of an angel but are completely unmarketable.

Anyone remember who won last time and what she's doing now?

Without googling, can you name the last few TXF winners in reverse order??
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Without googling, can you name the last few TXF winners in reverse order??

I know I can and it's not that surprising, they're all still in the news. Not always for the good reasons (i.e. James Arthur and his twittering) but say Little Mix were recently in the papers after success in the US.

Even outside of the X Factor's winners, they've got plenty of memorable contestants (1D being the most obvious) whereas simply no one from The Voice has done well.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice appeals more to older viewers, where as the X Factor is mainly aimed at the teen audience.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The XFactor is the MacDonalds of talent shows. It gets lots of attention advertising/press-wise as it is dumbed down and appeals to working class people who read tabloids like The Sun and the Star and are interested in controversial stories about the contestants and judges. The Voice is a higher quality show for a more upmarket audience, as a result it doesnt really receive as much tabloid coverage.

What a load of tosh! I watch both shows and have never read the sun or star in my life (unless it is a link online!)

I enjoy both shows but take them both for what they are which is formatted and scripted entertainment for a Saturday night
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much point getting involved with the early stages as there are 36 who will not make it to the live section. And yes it is a very different approach to XF and appeals to a different demographic, barring those that watch both shows. You would have to pay me to watch BGT or XF as I really dislike the humiliation the auditions go in for & I cannot stand SC.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV feeds stories to the press to hype X Factor, so with a regular feed of stories it's easy for papers to write an article, the BBC doesn't do that.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    These forums go very quiet between shows as well. There just aren't many talking points to come out of the show.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the audition stages of the Voice more cruel than the X factor. I feel so sorry for contestants when the judges don't turn around and then they have to listen to them trying to make up feeble excuses for why they didn't turn. It is humiliating if someone turns their back while you are speaking to them, never mind having your back turned when someone is singing. However, I still have watched most of the episodes so far but will be recording next Saturday due to SNT
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I find the audition stages of the Voice more cruel than the X factor. I feel so sorry for contestants when the judges don't turn around and then they have to listen to them trying to make up feeble excuses for why they didn't turn. It is humiliating if someone turns their back while you are speaking to them, never mind having your back turned when someone is singing. However, I still have watched most of the episodes so far but will be recording next Saturday due to SNT

The people who make it to the auditions on TVUK can sing. Unlike a lot shown on XF who just have to do their bit with the panel visibly trying not to laugh, before getting ripped to shreds.

Those who don't turn chairs get far more positive feedback from all 4 coaches than we see on TV, which is heavily edited for broadcast.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    ITV feeds stories to the press to hype X Factor, so with a regular feed of stories it's easy for papers to write an article

ITV doesn't do PR for X Factor.
    , the BBC doesn't do that.

Yes they do. All PR departments do that, it's part of their job.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The Voice generates less fake "controversy" than X Factor.

The press love XF because it gives them more to write about, even if that controversy is completely manufactured.

The Voice is just a singing show. It (thankfully) doesn't have the chav-friendly baggage of XF.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the TV Talent Show format is struggling right now, press input or not.

We only have to look at how X Factor struggled for ratings against SCD last year to see that the 'factor' format is being seen as tired (and manipulated too).
    And The Voice joined in relatively late in the day, so was at a disadvantage from the start.

There is also the fact that we all like to think that a great voice is the essence of singing entertainment, but most of us would also admit that this isn't really the case - it's a whole package of performance that appeals, not just 'the voice'.

Then you need to add in the 'last show voters', who may use the sympathy vote or who are not of the demographic the producers are really aiming for, and they can kill any hopes of getting a truly unique winner or a winner who will have the pull to make huge record sales.
    This has produced the situation where the two Voice winners have been pretty run-of-the-mill.

Put all this together and The Voice has a huge problem.

However, nowadays with both shows (and other reality shows), the majority of the viewing public knows that their voting patterns are being manipulated. This doesn't mean that we don't vote, but it does mean that we are getting more choosey over which act/person takes our voting money.

None of this is a recipe for continued high ratings for any TV talent show, but especially The Voice, which at least attempts to appear fair, but in doing so struggles for satisfactory results.

So you get the situation where those who have a great deal of money invested in talent shows (Cowell and co) are having to throw even more garbage out there to give the press some 'interesting pickings' in order to raise viewing and voting figures.
    I think it's reaching saturation overload and eventually no one will benefit from it.

As to the comment about who has an 'upmarket' and conversely who has a 'downmarket' audience, I think this is missing the point.

Sure, those who watch The Voice and feel it is 'more upmarket' may appreciate those comments, but those of us who watch both shows are probably a very mixed bag of people who are simply looking for relatively light entertainment early on a Saturday night.
    Social class, reading material, fashion, education, etc, probably even age, do not come into this.

I bet if you asked us whether we would deliberately stay in to watch a live show of X Factor or The Voice, rather than go out somewhere good, most of us would say no, we'll set both shows to record and go out.
    That's how little either of them really mean to us in the wider scheme of things.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I dont watch nor care about either show (only in here cause I saw this thread on the main page and wanted to answer.)

The reason is simple. The Voice is purely a competition. It isnt designed to create controversy and thus headlines. Newspapers don't write about harmony.

The XF on the other hand is not a talent competition. It is a newspaper selling competition. And ITV advertising and viewing figures competition. That show isnt about the acts, they are just pound signs with legs. The shows main purpose is to sell stories, any story, raking every single piece of shit they can rake to get stories. ITV pumps even more diarrhea into it by talking about the show on it's This Morning and Loose Womens.

Cowell loves it, every story puts another few grand in his pockets. ITV love it.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These forums go very quiet between shows as well. There just aren't many talking points to come out of the show.

I agree with this. It's not just the press who don't talk about it much. This forum for The Voice doesn't have many posts or threads in the days between each Saturday show whereas when The X Factor is on that forum is still very very busy with chat and new threads being posted in the days between each show.
  • mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    ITV feeds stories to the press to hype X Factor, so with a regular feed of stories it's easy for papers to write an article, the BBC doesn't do that.

I think this is probably the closest to the truth....why work on writing a proper article which needs actual investigation or research when you can simply re-write a press release about the latest shock/scandal put out by the TV company's publicity department?
    Sure it may not be ITV who publicise X Factor and yes the BBC do produce press releases, but the fact remains they don't produce the deluge of 'latest stories from behind the scenes' which accompany all Simon Cowell productions.
  • billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »

As to the comment about who has an 'upmarket' and conversely who has a 'downmarket' audience, I think this is missing the point.

Sure, those who watch The Voice and feel it is 'more upmarket' may appreciate those comments, but those of us who watch both shows are probably a very mixed bag of people who are simply looking for relatively light entertainment early on a Saturday night.
    Social class, reading material, fashion, education, etc, probably even age, do not come into this.

I bet if you asked us whether we would deliberately stay in to watch a live show of X Factor or The Voice, rather than go out somewhere good, most of us would say no, we'll set both shows to record and go out.
    That's how little either of them really mean to us in the wider scheme of things.

Good point - I watch both, but record if I can't (or maybe even shock, horror, just miss a week) and hate being pigeon-holed into upmarket/downmarket. Saturday night is one night I can relax in front of the tv and I want something unchallenging to watch - TV and XF both provide that. Neither reflect anything I do in my wider life and I don't vote in either.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't watch X Factor so wouldn't actually know anything about talent or X Factor's history of successful artists outside of the show.

Yes, because Steve Brookstein and Shayne Ward* had such huge recording careers after their wins. It wasn't until Leona (series 3) that X Factor really had a successful winner who has continued after the show. Leon (series 4) wasn't a huge success either. So comparing success after 2 series of The Voice against the first two series of X factor - probably not a huge amount in it.

Time will tell whether The Voice produces a long term success, but it is early days.

(*yes, I know Shayne went on to do musicals afterwards, but many of The Voice contestants do that anyway)
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like not as exciting to watch as Xfactor...less drama = less to write about. You always have controversy in the Xfactor...
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Because the people that take part in The Voice are decent people, if it was the same tabloid fodder as X Factor, Kylie wouldn't be on the show, its a competition, X Factor is a soap opera.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the Daily Mirror getting very excited about the voice on it's first year and slating BGT at every chance.I think the reason it will never be as well accepted by the media is it simply isn't as entertaining.I don't mean that in a bad way.It doesn't produce enough "drama" or "bitching".couches are always positive,as others have said and we have no terrible singers or joke acts.This should make it better but people want that.The biggest problem is the first 2 shows failed to find a chart star,once again as others have said.It feels like this show isn't a big enough deal to many.You can win and still not be a star.I am not saying all x factor can become stars but it's possible to live the dream when you win that show or finish somewhere near the top.I don't much care for the stars it has made but it certainly has made stars.The voice needs one,and it can get one.If they do then they will create a bigger buzz.As viewers it appears more people watch this for light entertainment and then forget the people after it ends,or even after the blinds.They need to get the winner a winning hit song,change the formula after the blinds and maybe push it more.The press are noticing this year more then last and being positive but we really need a star or two to emerge.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously don't understand why people think these shows need to create stars, they're just to help you get a career in music not turn you into a manufactured popstar