Yet again OFCOM going where they're not needed or wanted

TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
Here we go again. Yet another year when the UK is the only country who cannot vote by text. Will everyone please bombard these prats at Ofcom (who seem incapable of being an effective regulator on anything that really matters) until they get it in their heads that this is 2014 and we do not need then acting like texting is something that they need to protect the UK public from doing.

Shout it out loud to Ofcom. Stop interfering. We do not need you.

Comments

• Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this also why we can't vote using the mobile app?
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    Is this also why we can't vote using the mobile app?

Yes, ludicrous isn't it?
  • P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just vote by phone, whats the big deal. all you do is dial the number and listen then hang up.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that there is no mention of OFCOM being the reason on the BBC site:

"Text voting cannot be included in the Eurovision Song Contest UK vote due to the relatively short periods in which the vote is open and during which the result needs to be provided and verified. There is the risk of potential delays within the mobile networks at busy times which could result in text votes not being received within the period the vote is open. With a phone call, if the exchange is busy you will hear an engaged tone, however with text/SMS you would not know if there is any late delivery of your vote (causing it to not be registered). There are no such potential network delays with Mobile Short Dial Codes other than busy tones at local exchange level with heavy traffic.

In addition, call attempts to Mobile Short Dial Codes outside of the vote open period, or to numbers no longer in use, are non-chargeable to callers, unlike text where charges may still apply.

The advantage of using telephone calls for voting rather than text voting is that the caller knows at the time of the call that their vote has been counted and also that they have been charged for their vote. They will also know from receiving an engaged tone if they did not get through and that they can then just press redial to try again. The same is not true of text voting as the texter has to wait for a confirmation message back from their mobile network operator which may take some time to arrive or which may not arrive at all."

Seems sensible to me.
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Funny that there is no mention of OFCOM being the reason on the BBC site:

"Text voting cannot be included in the Eurovision Song Contest UK vote due to the relatively short periods in which the vote is open and during which the result needs to be provided and verified. There is the risk of potential delays within the mobile networks at busy times which could result in text votes not being received within the period the vote is open. With a phone call, if the exchange is busy you will hear an engaged tone, however with text/SMS you would not know if there is any late delivery of your vote (causing it to not be registered). There are no such potential network delays with Mobile Short Dial Codes other than busy tones at local exchange level with heavy traffic.

In addition, call attempts to Mobile Short Dial Codes outside of the vote open period, or to numbers no longer in use, are non-chargeable to callers, unlike text where charges may still apply.

The advantage of using telephone calls for voting rather than text voting is that the caller knows at the time of the call that their vote has been counted and also that they have been charged for their vote. They will also know from receiving an engaged tone if they did not get through and that they can then just press redial to try again. The same is not true of text voting as the texter has to wait for a confirmation message back from their mobile network operator which may take some time to arrive or which may not arrive at all."

Seems sensible to me.
    See the threads from previous years on the same issue which confirmed that it was due to Ofcom policy. The response to the complaint I made to the BBC said the same.

Besides which, think about the above. Why should any of that be anymore of a problem for the UK than for any other country?
    Forum Member
    P-Combo wrote: »
    Just vote by phone, whats the big deal. all you do is dial the number and listen then hang up.

This is 2014, not 1974.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    See the threads from previous years on the same issue which confirmed that it was due to Ofcom policy. The response to the complaint I made to the BBC said the same.

Besides which, think about the above. Why should any of that be anymore of a problem for the UK than for any other country?

We know it IS a problem in the UK as witnessed by many text vote problems on various TV shows. Perhaps other countries don't care about ripping people off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is 2014, not 1974.

In 1974 there was no voting by the general public. The voting to choose the UK song was done by postcard!
    Forum Member
    We know it IS a problem in the UK as witnessed by many text vote problems on various TV shows. Perhaps other countries don't care about ripping people off?

But that's address by having correct procedures, not by avoiding text voting. Besides which, most people have text packages which are either unlimited or are 2000+ texts a month. If something went wrong with their text vote it would have cost them all of 1p at most. Somehow I think mostpeople couldn't care less about 1p.
    Forum Member
    In 1974 there was no voting by the general public. The voting to choose the UK song was done by postcard!

I think you're taking me a little too literally. I was making a point about just how common texting is today.
    Forum Member
    Oh and now we've got the strobe lighting warning. Another example of Ofcom disappearing up their own backside and thinking they know better than any other regulator.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    But that's address by having correct procedures, not by avoiding text voting. Besides which, most people have text packages which are either unlimited or are 2000+ texts a month. If something went wrong with their text vote it would have cost them all of 1p at most. Somehow I think mostpeople couldn't care less about 1p.

Pray tell, What are the correct procedures for ensuring that ALL SMS messages are delivered at ALL times within a short fixed timescale? Put another way, how do you guarantee no traffic congestion, ever?

And, as you are well aware, if you know as much about text voting as you claim, many such numbers do not fall within the package allowances in the network operators' tariffs so additional charges are incurred. Text messages outside of a package allowance are a minimum of 10p in the UK, special numbers such as those used in competition voting are several multiples of that.
    Forum Member
    '#join us in the 21st century' the presenter just said. Are you listening Ofcom?
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    Pray tell, What are the correct procedures for ensuring that ALL SMS messages are delivered at ALL times within a short fixed timescale? Put another way, how do you guarantee no traffic congestion, ever?

I come back to, why should that be more of a concern for the UK than anywhere else? Its really not the end of the world if your vote doesn't arrive. Its just a song contest.
    Forum Member
    Oh and now we've got the strobe lighting warning. Another example of Ofcom disappearing up their own backside and thinking they know better than any other regulator.

Oh Dear God! Why don't you just go and educate yourself!

Try Googling "Photo-Sensitive Epilepsy" and see if you think being warned that you might have a seizure triggered by the flashing lights is a good idea or not.

I bet you're one of those idiots who zig-zags round level crossing barriers because you think "interfering busybodies" have no business warning you that you might die.
  • LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Why are people moaning about using a telephone. Seriously, what does it matter, are people now incapable of using a telephone because we live in '2014'. No wonder this country is viewed as a country of moaners if this is what people are seriously kicking up a fuss about.
    Forum Member
    Oh Dear God! Why don't you just go and educate yourself!

Try Googling "Photo-Sensitive Epilepsy" and see if you think being warned that you might have a seizure triggered by the flashing lights is a good idea or not.

I bet you're one of those idiots who zig-zags round level crossing barriers because you think "interfering busybodies" have no business warning you that you might die.

Read my post again. I'm well aware of photo-sensitive epilepsy. My point is that UK citizens with epilepsy are hardly in more need of a warning that any other country.

Besides which, there are two situations on TV where common sense should tell anyone that flashing lights are likely-live concerts and news programmes.
    Forum Member
    LED93 wrote: »
    Why are people moaning about using a telephone. Seriously, what does it matter, are people now incapable of using a telephone because we live in '2014'. No wonder this country is viewed as a country of moaners if this is what people are seriously kicking up a fuss about.

If other technology is available to every other country why not use it here too? The explanation posted above from the BBC website reflects issues that only obsessives or geeks would worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I come back to, why should that be more of a concern for the UK than anywhere else? Its really not the end of the world if your vote doesn't arrive. Its just a song contest.

Exactly, so why bother about not being able to text?
    Forum Member

But it has been the end of the world, inasmuch as there have been text-voting controversies of various flavours in the last few years, about which more than a few people have got worked up.

That being the "state of the art" the current strictures remain in place. Until the operators of the vote can ensure that every Text is delivered, and every Text counts, it won't happen (I notice you didn't proffer a solution when invited to).

As to why the UK and not elsewhere? Perhaps they've neither had the SMS-vote problems we've had, or more pertinently, a rabid and trivia-minded tabloid media that has blown it up into a big fuss demanding that "something must be done"?

Essentially we (collectively) have made it a big deal, because that is the sort of thing we (collectively) get in a (media-manufactured) tizzy about. In places like, for example, Ukraine, Turkey or Greece they have other things to worry about.
    Forum Member
    But it has been the end of the world, inasmuch as there have been text-voting controversies of various flavours in the last few years, about which more than a few people have got worked up.

That being the "state of the art" the current strictures remain in place. Until the operators of the vote can ensure that every Text is delivered, and every Text counts, it won't happen (I notice you didn't proffer a solution when invited to).

As to why the UK and not elsewhere? Perhaps they've neither had the SMS-vote problems we've had, or more pertinently, a rabid and trivia-minded tabloid media that has blown it up into a big fuss demanding that "something must be done"?

Essentially we (collectively) have made it a big deal, because that is the sort of thing we (collectively) get in a (media-manufactured) tizzy about. In places like, for example, Ukraine, Turkey or Greece they have other things to worry about.

But this is one of these things where organisations such as Ofcom need to learn to have a level head and to take action that are rational, not driven by paranoia or media pressure. In terms of programmes that were manipulating text voting or competitions, all that was needed was a clear 'cease and desist' statement. In terms of the technical limitations that mean that a small number of votes near the end of a voting session may not get through, as long as that's made clear, that's all that matters.
    Forum Member
    Exactly, so why bother about not being able to text?

Because it makes us look like a backward and/or paranoid country.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try telling that to the Daily Mail when they'd run a front page story about the BBC conning money out of viewers. The BBC then having to issue refunds and the Director General having to resign!
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Try telling that to the Daily Mail when they'd run a front page story about the BBC conning money out of viewers. The BBC then having to issue refunds and the Director General having to resign!

That's why there is a need for a level head, rational decisions and really effective communicators who defend those decisions and demolish wrong-headed ideas.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is 2014, not 1974.

What on earth... So no one uses a phone to ring people? Are you on drugs? What is so old fashioned about picking up a phone to vote ? It is easier to count and quicker isn't it anyway, last series of BGT they cancelled the mobile vote due to problems IIRC.