The 2014 PDC Darts Thread

Comments

• Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I love how the old smoothie Beaton pulls out out one or two decent performances each season to keep his ranking up.
    He's a master at picking up money on the floor events and smaller ones, he can't have been in the top 16 on the OOM for the best part of a decade yet year after year qualifys for the TV events through the pro tour OOM.

He's a favourite of mine a gentleman on the oche and on his day a match for anyone (I still remember when he turned Taylor over in the Grand Slam over a best of 31 game not many do that)
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solid line up for Blackpool:cool:
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2014 BetVictor World Matchplay

First Round Draw & Tournament Bracket
    Michael van Gerwen (1) v Steve Beaton
    Ian White (16) v Terry Jenkins
    Andy Hamilton (8) v Wayne Jones
    Dave Chisnall (9) v Dean Winstanley
    James Wade (5) v Andy Smith
    Brendan Dolan (12) v Richie Burnett
    Simon Whitlock (4) v Kevin Painter
    Raymond van Barneveld (13) v Vincent van der Voort
    Phil Taylor (2) v Darren Webster
    Justin Pipe (15) v Michael Smith
    Robert Thornton (7) v Paul Nicholson
    Wes Newton (10) v Ronnie Baxter
    Peter Wright (6) v Stephen Bunting
    Gary Anderson (11) v Jamie Caven
    Adrian Lewis (3) v Andrew Gilding
    Mervyn King (14) v Kim Huybrechts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good ties, nice local derby too with Wes V Ronnie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I hadn't realised until now how Kim Huybrechts had dropped down the rankings to outside the top 16. Hate to say it but PDC and Sky were spot on with their PL line up. Just shows you I don't know everything :p
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,330,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter Wright (6) v Stephen Bunting
    Gary Anderson (11) v Jamie Caven

These two are my pick of the round, and in that order...a year ago Barney v VDV would have been 'so what' but given RVB's rejuvenation and VDV's recent tour win it's a lot more interesting....
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Actually I hadn't realised until now how Kim Huybrechts had dropped down the rankings to outside the top 16. Hate to say it but PDC and Sky were spot on with their PL line up. Just shows you I don't know everything :p

Went as high as 12th I think, very little in monetary terms between that and his current position of 17th.
  • Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Peter Griffin beats Wrighty. I used to like Wrighty but more recently he's become quite the knobhead
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Fantastic draw, potential banana skins everywhere, I think we may see a record number of seeds making a first round exit.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arguably I think this tournament is the one where you get the absolute creme de la creme of the PDC playing.

The Worlds has all the same players usually but is more sprawling with the 64 men field including nearly as much chaff as wheat but here you get the 16 who have been the best in the last 2 years + the next 16 who have been the best in the last 12 months there are no lucky qualifiers or wild card choices here it's all the best of the best.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who said you did?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Who said you did?:D

Bradley :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will launch the annual DS comp nearer the time once the rules have been clarified(im guessing they will keep last years regarding sudden death)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking earlier, what is it now in the Matchplay ? Do they still have to win by two legs ? I know they changed it a year or so ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking earlier, what is it now in the Matchplay ? Do they still have to win by two legs ? I know they changed it a year or so ago
    I presume they'll persist with last years new sudden death last leg after four extra legs as opposed to keep going until two legs clear....

Edit: hmm, just read that back and I've got more legs than Jake the peg....probably not the best of days to be using that metaphor :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume they'll persist with last years new sudden death last leg after four extra legs as opposed to keep going until two legs clear....

Edit: hmm, just read that back and I've got more legs than Jake the peg....probably not the best of days to be using that metaphor :p

This isn't Mock The Week you know :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last years was

* Each game must be won by two clear legs, with up to a maximum of five additional legs being played before the sixth "extra" leg is sudden-death. There will be no re-throw for the bull in this instance.
    For example, should a First Round game (best of 19 legs) reach 12-12, then the 25th leg would be the final and deciding leg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's what I meant didn't explain it all that well. So if it's like last year in full it'll be:

First Round - Best of 19 legs (if a match reaches 12-12, then the 25th leg will be the final and deciding leg)

Second Round - Best of 25 legs (if a match reaches 15-15, then the 31st leg will be the final and deciding leg)

Quarter-Finals - Best of 31 legs (if a match reaches 18-18, then the 37th leg will be the final and deciding leg)

Semi-Finals - Best of 33 legs (if a match reaches 19-19, then the 39th leg will be the final and deciding leg)

Final - Best of 35 legs (if a match reaches 20-20, then the 41st leg will be the final and deciding leg)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    The 2014 Ladbrokes World Darts Championship was the 21st World Championship organised by the Professional Darts Corporation since it separated from the British Darts Organisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep its the same format as last year

Saturday July 19
    Evening Session (7pm-11pm)
    First Round

Ian White v Terry Jenkins
    Simon Whitlock v Kevin Painter
    Michael van Gerwen v Steve Beaton
    James Wade v Andy Smith

Sunday July 20
    Afternoon Session (1pm-5pm)
    First Round

Dave Chisnall v Dean Winstanley
    Brendan Dolan v Richie Burnett
    Robert Thornton v Paul Nicholson
    Andy Hamilton v Wayne Jones

First Round

Justin Pipe v Michael Smith
    Wes Newton v Ronnie Baxter
    Phil Taylor v Darren Webster
    Raymond van Barneveld v Vincent van der Voort

Monday July 21
    First Round

Peter Wright v Stephen Bunting
    Mervyn King v Kim Huybrechts
    Adrian Lewis v Andrew Gilding
    Gary Anderson v Jamie Caven

Tuesday July 22
    Evening Session (7pm-12am)
    Second Round

Hamilton/Jones v Chisnall/Winstanley
    Wade/A Smith v Dolan/Burnett
    van Gerwen/Beaton v White/Jenkins
    Whitlock/Painter v van Barneveld/van der Voort

Wednesday July 23
    Evening Session (7pm-12am)
    Second Round

Thornton/Nicholson v Newton/Baxter
    Wright/Bunting v Anderson/Caven
    Taylor/Webster v Pipe/M Smith
    Lewis/Gilding v King/Huybrechts

Thursday July 24
    Quarter-Finals x2

Friday July 25
    Quarter-Finals x2

Saturday July 26
    Evening Session (7pm-10pm)
    Semi-Finals

Sunday July 27
    Evening Session (7pm-9pm)
    Final

Format
    First Round - Best of 19 legs
    Second Round - Best of 25 legs
    Quarter-Finals - Best of 31 legs
    Semi-Finals - Best of 33 legs
    Final - Best of 35 legs
  • dazcdazc Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday Evening Looks Tasty Wright Vs Bunting Could Be A Classic I Think Michael Smith Will Knock Out Taylor
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You're going giving Pipe much of a chance then?
  • dazcdazc Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pipe Is Not Playing Well Enough
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good line up but I'm surprised that Webster, Klassen, Kellett and Ronny Huybrechts didn't make it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good line up but I'm surprised that Webster, Klassen, Kellett and Ronny Huybrechts didn't make it.

not had a good year on the circuit