The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Go to a good Jewish traditional baker and it will not disappoint

I agree! Just don't ask for 'rye bread' as the loaf sold under than name is often just white bread with caraway seeds. You need to ask for 'black bread' which is a lovely soft rye.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still a bit fixated on the all day breakfast inside a loaf. I mean...why? I like my breakfast with toast. If I have a cooked breakfast (and normally it's only on holiday as a treat), I don't want to smother it in dough. A couple of slices of toast to mop up the egg and balance out the sausage, and maybe two more with marmalade after. A few cups of tea. I rest my case.

I have made this before and i got the idea from a Jamie Oliver show. It was really good, mmmmmm, might be inspired to make it again actually.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew his time had come. Nice enough guy but he did come across as a little bit weird

Just a complete geek! Right result though. Loving this series, there's some excellent bakers! I've no idea who will win, it's wide open. My favourite keeps changing.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7.44 million for last nights show.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7.44 million for last nights show.

Up quite a bit on the first 2 weeks. Good to see the ratings increasing
  • seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I know - that must be the most damning thing Mary Berry has ever said on the show!

According to the "Radio Times" next week a male contestant goes into meltdown after his Baked Alaska collapses. It also adds that you might not think the collapse was entirely his fault. I noticed Diana looking rather sheepish in the clip. I wonder if she left the freezer door open or bumped into the contestant when he was getting it out of the fridge/freezer?

I can't wait.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seawitch wrote: »
    According to the "Radio Times" next week a male contestant goes into meltdown after his Baked Alaska collapses. It also adds that you might not think the collapse was entirely his fault. I noticed Diana looking rather sheepish in the clip. I wonder if she left the freezer door open or bumped into the contestant when he was getting it out of the fridge/freezer?

I can't wait.

? Memories of last series (I think it was last series) when one of the presenters knocked over the tall pile of cookies? :o

I really felt for the competitor.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    ? Memories of last series (I think it was last series) when one of the presenters knocked over the tall pile of cookies? :o

I really felt for the competitor.

Me too.

Was it last year we had custard-gate too, where one contestant "stole" another's custard from the fridge?
  • PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I can't warm to Nancy. I find her a bit 'try-hard' and 'teacher's pet'.

I also don't understand why Richard has to have that stupid pencil behind his ear. It's coming off as an affectation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Me too.

Was it last year we had custard-gate too, where one contestant "stole" another's custard from the fridge?

Yes custard gate was last year! I expect it will be a huge disappointment and she is just saying that the weather is unacceptable or something, but hope I'm wrong!

I never seem to watch GBBO in real time so always have to catch up on the thread, I enjoy reading all the comments. They do all seem very nice people this year. I love watching, I find it quite a relaxing programme, maybe not next week though!
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am really enjoying this series. My favourites are Nancy and Richard, with Martha and Louis not far behind.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to give it away a bit on 'baked Alaska-gate' in the preview for next week:

You see Diana opening the freezer door, and the baked Alaska is all gloopy inside. She also seems to have her hands covered in something, and her hands go towards it, so I don't whether she's trying to fix it in some way or what. As for who the male contestant is, the preview did show Luis, I'm not entirely sure how you'd go about making a baked Alaska so it might be him.

I felt sorry for Jordan, at least he was trying to be creative. IMO Norman should have gone, he's been told before about his bakes being too simple and for me anyway, I'd rather have someone who tries to be creative but doesn't quite succeed than someone who plays it safe every time.

I think there's a top 5 developing - Richard, Luis, Nancy, Martha and Kate. As things stand, I'd say only Richard should definitely be top 3. The other 4 are fighting for the other 2 places.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    Sour dough is obviously the thing to bring with you

but not shop fondant
    Paxton and Whitfield is one of the finest cheese sellers in the UK ! Amazing place

that's a shop to avoid; I HATE cheese
    The spin-off show might be entertaining this week.

It'll be funny if he has a hair cut
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to give it away a bit on 'baked Alaska-gate' in the preview for next week:

You see Diana opening the freezer door, and the baked Alaska is all gloopy inside. She also seems to have her hands covered in something, and her hands go towards it, so I don't whether she's trying to fix it in some way or what. As for who the male contestant is, the preview did show Luis, I'm not entirely sure how you'd go about making a baked Alaska so it might be him.

I felt sorry for Jordan, at least he was trying to be creative. IMO Norman should have gone, he's been told before about his bakes being too simple and for me anyway, I'd rather have someone who tries to be creative but doesn't quite succeed than someone who plays it safe every time.

I think there's a top 5 developing - Richard, Luis, Nancy, Martha and Kate. As things stand, I'd say only Richard should definitely be top 3. The other 4 are fighting for the other 2 places.

The problem with telling Norman that his bakes are too simple is that he had to submit his recipes for the first half of the series well ahead of when filming commenced - and so he couldn't change what he was planning even if he was minded to do so. Yes, he can tweak and look at the presentation again - but in essence, everything is locked down ahead of time.

So it is frustrating when the judges are telling people to change knowing that they are restricted to the pre-submitted recipes.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He always seemed to be trying to do a performance for the camera which got annoying.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm the opposite. If much rather have something simple that was cooked properly and whilst it didn't look amazing, tasted great. Than something though may have been amazing we're it cooked properly or executed correctly. I'd 100% of the time take something simple and edible over something creative but inedible.

It's only week three and I'm already really annoyed with them constantly telling Norman his bakes 'don't excite them'. And people who have produced under/over cooked bakes getting praise over him because the idea was great.

As above. They knew what kind of baker he was way before he got into the tent. So why bring him in if all they do is slate him for not being exciting.

Poor Norman.
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. If much rather have something simple that was cooked properly and whilst it didn't look amazing, tasted great. Than something though may have been amazing we're it cooked properly or executed correctly. I'd 100% of the time take something simple and edible over something creative but inedible.

It's only week three and I'm already really annoyed with them constantly telling Norman his bakes 'don't excite them'. And people who have produced under/over cooked bakes getting praise over him because the idea was great.

As above. They knew what kind of baker he was way before he got into the tent. So why bring him in if all they do is slate him for not being exciting.

Poor Norman.
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i cant warm to nancy either so you are not alone there :)

i feel a bit sorry for norman too for getting constantly criticised for his bakes being too simple- i would rather have something simple and done well than over inventive which doesnt work.

Agree with both of these - I can see Norman going out next week - to be honest I thought they were a bit unfair considering him as one of the bottom 2 this week, as he was fourth in the technical challenge...
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with both of these - I can see Norman going out next week - to be honest I thought they were a bit unfair considering him as one of the bottom 2 this week, as he was fourth in the technical challenge...

And as far as I can remember (although admittedly my memory is crap) he hasn't put up an under or over cooked bake. Everything he has put up has been as it should have been.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member

You see Diana opening the freezer door, and the baked Alaska is all gloopy inside.
    That's Chetna, not Diana.

Chetna looked a bit sad and lonely at the end this week, I wonder why?
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    The problem with telling Norman that his bakes are too simple is that he had to submit his recipes for the first half of the series well ahead of when filming commenced - and so he couldn't change what he was planning even if he was minded to do so. Yes, he can tweak and look at the presentation again - but in essence, everything is locked down ahead of time.

So it is frustrating when the judges are telling people to change knowing that they are restricted to the pre-submitted recipes.

I didn't know they had to submit their recipes. What about the second half of the series?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed last night. I like bread week because of the glint in Paul's eye when he cross-examines them. You never know whether he's being serious or trying to sow seeds of doubt to make them sabotage themselves.

Nail-biting moments. Waiting for my Naan dough to prove......fingers crossed. Same scenario as last night.

It said at room temperature but the kitchens cold so I've put it in a slightly warm oven.

Made it early so if it goes wrong I can nip out and by some supermarket ones.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    si29uk wrote: »

I read that they had a runner near a supermarket close-by to get ingredients.
    I'm sure they'd have plenty of eggs and flour in case of spillages so I wonder if this is in case there's a change of mind about something as well as in case something goes wrong.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    That's Chetna, not Diana.

Chetna looked a bit sad and lonely at the end this week, I wonder why?

I'd have to watch it again to make sure, but from what I could see, they showed Diana in the previous clip, and then this clip looked like the same person (unless Chetna is wearing a similarly coloured top/jumper).

I didn't know that they had to submit that many bakes in advance, I knew they had to do at least 1 week beforehand so that the ingredients could be gotten etc. If that's the case then Norman can't really do much about that (I do still feel sorry for Jordan though), doesn't really allow for progression early on then does it?
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    No sign of the moggy :(

This time last year our cat disappeared for two weeks. We put up posters over quite a wide area, and had just about given up hope when he came back. We were all in bed, but leaped out when we heard him :D He was really thin so I think he'd been locked in somewhere. He'd probably been having a nose around and got locked in when someone went on holiday. He was away for two weeks, virtually to the minute. Don't give up hope.
  • Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So next week is dessert week, can we expect Norman to present Paul and Mary with a bowl of semolina and a blob of jam?