The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spanner82 wrote: »
    So next week is dessert week, can we expect Norman to present Paul and Mary with a bowl of semolina and a blob of jam?

If it's well made and the jam is home-made what is so wrong with that?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    My naan seem to have come out okay. Wouldn't want to submit them to Mr Hollywood

http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/34643/123260346420746.jpg
  • StrawberryLacesStrawberryLaces Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    My naan seem to have come out okay. Wouldn't want to submit them to Mr Hollywood

http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/34643/123260346420746.jpg

Yum! :D
  • Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »

nothing wrong with that at all
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose it is like gymnastics where 'levels of difficulty' are used to mark contestants. Someone can get a high score for attempting something very difficult but not quite getting it right.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding (from reading blogs from past contestants) is that they have to submit their first batch of recipes well before filming begins and their second batch just as (or just after) filming has started.

My guess is this is because of the need to launch the cookbook along with the broadcast and so the recipes are needed well in advance for testing/photography etc.

It is the sort of thing that they will never really make public - as it undermines the sense of people progressing through the series - as their choices are all made well in advance.

The one area in which you can improve is presentation - but I would always put flavour ahead of look (as long as it doesn't look completely awful....)

Either way, Norman and his straightforward approach is pretty much tied to his recipe choices - and could only try to make things look fancier (which is really not his style)
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    My understanding (from reading blogs from past contestants) is that they have to submit their first batch of recipes well before filming begins and their second batch just as (or just after) filming has started.

My guess is this is because of the need to launch the cookbook along with the broadcast and so the recipes are needed well in advance for testing/photography etc.

It is the sort of thing that they will never really make public - as it undermines the sense of people progressing through the series - as their choices are all made well in advance.

The one area in which you can improve is presentation - but I would always put flavour ahead of look (as long as it doesn't look completely awful....)

Either way, Norman and his straightforward approach is pretty much tied to his recipe choices - and could only try to make things look fancier (which is really not his style)

"Playing safe" worked as a strategy for Sewing Bee this year. The eventual winner avoided going home by constantly making the least adventurous item, until the last week when she actually made something interesting for the first and only time!

I wonder if Norman is a Sewing Bee viewer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail this morning is trying to make an issue of Luis(?) saying that he has entered local competitions to get practice. Most of the comments don't agree with them and think it is an obvious way to prepare for Bake Off.

Storm in a cake tin over Bake Off star who's already a champion: Luis lets slip he's already won other competitions to prepare himself for the show

Just the usual anti-BBC stuff from the Mail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Mail this morning is trying to make an issue of Luis(?) saying that he has entered local competitions to get practice. Most of the comments don't agree with them and think it is an obvious way to prepare for Bake Off.

Storm in a cake tin over Bake Off star who's already a champion: Luis lets slip he's already won other competitions to prepare himself for the show

Just the usual anti-BBC stuff from the Mail.

Surely everyone does as much preparation as they possibly can. There are relatively few opportunities (outside of local fetes and the like) for competitive baking - so I can't imagine he got much of an advantage that way. I know if I were ever successful, I would be trying for as many chances as possible to get feedback on my baking and presentation.

Winning your local village baking competition really isn't going to give you that much of an edge in the tent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely everyone does as much preparation as they possibly can. There are relatively few opportunities (outside of local fetes and the like) for competitive baking - so I can't imagine he got much of an advantage that way. I know if I were ever successful, I would be trying for as many chances as possible to get feedback on my baking and presentation.

Winning your local village baking competition really isn't going to give you that much of an edge in the tent.

Also I think most of that type of competition is with cakes that have been baked at home, not to produce one within a fixed time.

By the way, I think i heard them say that Paul Hollywood is on The One Show tonight. I think it was yesterday that the Mail had two stories about his marital problems last year.
  • SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I suppose it is like gymnastics where 'levels of difficulty' are used to mark contestants. Someone can get a high score for attempting something very difficult but not quite getting it right.

There is nothing more difficult than creating a dish that is simple, yet delicious. That is the benchmark that all the contestants are chasing surely. Presenting something that looks great and tastes delicious. There is no reason that semolina and jam cannot fell into this remit, is there?
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    There is nothing more difficult than creating a dish that is simple, yet delicious.
    Since when has something simple necessary mean not delicious? Some of meals I most enjoyed are the simplest, they are delicious and often easy to cook.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing more difficult than creating a dish that is simple, yet delicious. That is the benchmark that all the contestants are chasing surely. Presenting something that looks great and tastes delicious. There is no reason that semolina and jam cannot fell into this remit, is there?[/QUOTE]

No there isn't but if the other contestants produce something that is both difficult and delicious, then they will not win. Producing something easy and straightforward, no matter how delicious, does not show off technical ability, imagination, ability to learn, and ability to solve complex problems. - especially when in a competition.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just caught up with GBBO. I see Jordan has gone. It was so obvious he wouldn't last long. ;-)

Glad Luis won Star Baker and couldn't give a damn what the Daily Mail thinks.

Met someone yesterday who is a friend of Diana's daughter!
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate is my favourite. I think it will be her, Luis and Richard in the final. What does everyone else think?

eta: Though currently unsure who will win......
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it this year. I only started watching properly last year (Good Food are also repeating an older series at the moment too).

Do the contestants get told when the competition starts what each week's challenges are (ie bread, desserts) or do they only find out the week before?

I must admit that if I was doing this, I'd give up when it got to bread week - I wouldn't fancy making bread for Paul Hollywood!! :p;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it this year. I only started watching properly last year (Good Food are also repeating an older series at the moment too).

Do the contestants get told when the competition starts what each week's challenges are (ie bread, desserts) or do they only find out the week before?

I must admit that if I was doing this, I'd give up when it got to bread week - I wouldn't fancy making bread for Paul Hollywood!! :p;-)

They know at least half of the challenges well ahead of filming starting - as they have to submit their recipes in advance.

I believe the rest of the challenges are made known to them as filming commences

So they are well aware of what lies ahead (other than the technical bakes, of course)
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they are well aware of what lies ahead (other than the technical bakes, of course)
    Everything but the technical is their own recipe, so they'll (in theory anyway) have practiced them multiple times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just noticed the 'extra slice' opening titles are subtly different from the main show ones..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Norman isn't one of my faves to win but I do like him. 'Pesto'.
    Forum Member
    Love Richard Coles. Is Julian a bit peeved because there is someone camper and funnier than him on the panel?
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the gluten free roll. Reminds me of some of my attempts at bread. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That full irish breakfast cupcake is both bizarre and somehow appetising.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I think this is a lot better than last week. Jo seems more relaxed and Richard, Julian and Rosemary are a good combination of guests.
    Forum Member
    Jordan's had a hair-do!