Houston UFO sighting

Comments

• JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Kind of stupid pathetic comment I expected from a Muppet.

The usual "I haven't seen anything so it must be lies or you are bonkers" attitude surfaces.

I know what I saw and I expect as usual people to think it was a figment of the imagination.

There are tens of thousands (if not more) who see strange things are they all "twister"?

It was cloud height and was definitely not a bird.

Like I said I am not claiming alien encounters but it was definitely some kind of aircraft.

The strange things as previously stated is that it had no lights - a legal requirement for all aircraft in UK aviation space.

Erm, I think you might have misunderstood, Toby. He didn't say that you were 'twister', whatever the hell you think that means.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An awful lot of these things are internal lens refiections. Try it yourself - take your camera out at night and point it at a bright light so the the light is off-centre. You will almost certainly see a ghost image of the light diametrically opposite. If the light source is a fancy ring of lights like the Houston light, hey presto you've got a nice UFO.
    You can see these internal reflections in night scenes in most feature films, so even posh lenses suffer from it.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    You can see these internal reflections in night scenes in most feature films, so even posh lenses suffer from it.
    Lens flare is sometimes quite deliberate. Film directors have been known to substitute expensive lenses for cheaper ones to accentuate the effect, or even to add it as a special effect in post-production.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Erm, I think you might have misunderstood, Toby. He didn't say that you were 'twister', whatever the hell you think that means.
    He's obviously not a Chubby Checker fan :cool:
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Lens flare is sometimes quite deliberate. Film directors have been known to substitute expensive lenses for cheaper ones to accentuate the effect, or even to add it as a special effect in post-production.

Babylon 5 was veey keen on adding lens flare to scenes that were wholly computer generted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attention seeking knobheads.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens dont excist we would of seen them by now if they were real
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

No we wouldn't.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Aliens had solved the problem of crossing the unbelievable gulf of distance between the stars and visited earth three things could happen.

They would study us like a biologist does ants and we would never know they are there.

They would immediately wipe us out for the good of the planet.

They would land on the Whitehouse lawn.

None of which will occur - the distances are just too vast for them to ever reach us - and looking at the state of the world why would they even bother?
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many well known believers that are difficult to ignore,here's a few,..

Mikhail Gorbachev
    Gorbachev, the last head of state of the USSR said that UFOs exist and that the phenomenon “must be treated seriously.”

Prof. Stephen Hawking
    Theoretical physicist Stephen William Hawking is known for his work on gravitational singularities. He also believes in UFOs and extraterrestrials. In an interview, the professor said, “Of course it is possible that UFO’s really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up."

Dr Herman Oberth
    The German rocket engineer taken by the US after the Second World War said, “It is my thesis that flying saucers are real and that they are spaceships from another solar system. There is no doubt in my mind that these objects are interplanetary craft of some sort. I and my colleagues are confident that they do not originate in our solar system.”

Dr J Allen Hynek
    The director of Project Blue Book of the US Air Force Dr J Allen Hynek (left in photo) said, “When the long-awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be not merely the next small step in the march of science, but a mighty and totally unexpected quantum leap… we had a job to do, whether right or wrong, to keep the public from getting excited.”

Plus a very good video on this subject from an awesome researcher,Timothy Good,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eppi639CUKw

:)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny in a way that there seems to be this natural assumption that any craft from another world will be saucer shaped. It's almost like a 'hollywood' mentality in a sense.

But then as i've always said, I think with the size of the universe being as it is, it would be very presumptuous of us to assume we're the only life in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunnier wrote: »
    There are many well known believers that are difficult to ignore,here's a few,..

[..]
    Prof. Stephen Hawking
    Theoretical physicist Stephen William Hawking is known for his work on gravitational singularities. He also believes in UFOs and extraterrestrials. In an interview, the professor said, “Of course it is possible that UFO’s really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up."
    [...]
    I didn't bother to check the others, but this sounds like something Hawking said with a twinkle in his eye, and taken out of context. Specifically, it has been taken out of this context:

"Clearly the present exponential growth can not continue indefinitely. So what will happen? One possibility is that we wipe ourselves out completely by some disaster such as a nuclear war. There is a sick joke that the reason we have not been contacted by extra-terrestrials is that when a civilization reaches our stage of development it becomes unstable and destroys itself. Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens, as many people believe, and the government is hushing it up. I couldn't possibly comment! "

If there is any residual doubt about what he thinks, Hawking also said this:

"we don't seem to have been visited by aliens. I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdoes? If there is a government conspiracy to suppress the reports and keep for itself the scientific knowledge the aliens bring, it seems to have been a singularly ineffective policy so far. Furthermore, despite an extensive search by the SETI project, we haven't heard any alien television quiz shows. This probably indicates that there are no alien civilizations at our stage of development within a radius of a few hundred light years. Issuing an insurance policy against abduction by aliens seems a pretty safe bet."
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I'd love it to be true that we have had ET visitors, unfortunately, i believe in Physics.
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    While I'd love it to be true that we have had ET visitors, unfortunately, i believe in Physics.

This may be of interest,..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/20/physicist-eric-davis-mufon-symposium_n_3620126.html

Good article which includes this bit,..

"UFOs are real phenomena. They are artificial objects under intelligent control. They're definitely the craft of a supremely advanced technology," says physicist Eric Davis, a researcher of light-speed travel.

He's aware of the public perception -- mostly from skeptics and debunkers -- that no legitimate scientists would ever touch the subject of UFOs.

"They're wrong, naive, stubborn, narrow-minded, afraid and fearful. It's a dirty word and a forbidden topic. Science is about open-minded inquiry. You shouldn't be laughing off people. You should show more deference and respect to them ... Scientists need to get back to using the scientific method to study things that are unknown and unusual, and the UFO subject is one of them."

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does he square this, clearly unscientific claim, in which he has already reached his conclusion (based on what evidence?):
    "UFOs are real phenomena. They are artificial objects under intelligent control. They're definitely the craft of a supremely advanced technology," says physicist Eric Davis, a researcher of light-speed travel.
    With this plea:
    Scientists need to get back to using the scientific method to study things that are unknown and unusual, and the UFO subject is one of them."
    Where can I read his scientific enquiry into the subject?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may be of interest,..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/20/physicist-eric-davis-mufon-symposium_n_3620126.html

Good article which includes this bit,..

He's aware of the public perception -- mostly from skeptics and debunkers -- that no legitimate scientists would ever touch the subject of UFOs.

"They're wrong, naive, stubborn, narrow-minded, afraid and fearful. It's a dirty word and a forbidden topic. Science is about open-minded inquiry. You shouldn't be laughing off people. You should show more deference and respect to them ... Scientists need to get back to using the scientific method to study things that are unknown and unusual, and the UFO subject is one of them."

so he is saying that scientists ARE giving serious research credence to possibility that we are being visited by extra terrestrials. Where is all this credible research that says its not only a possibility, bit is actually happening? I'd be seriously interested in reading it, I'd love to be proved wrong.

Is this Physicist saying that travelling faster than light is a reality?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mikhail Gorbachev
    Gorbachev, the last head of state of the USSR said that UFOs exist and that the phenomenon “must be treated seriously.”

Prof. Stephen Hawking

Dr Herman Oberth
    The German rocket engineer taken by the US after the Second World War said, “It is my thesis that flying saucers are real and that they are spaceships from another solar system. There is no doubt in my mind that these objects are interplanetary craft of some sort. I and my colleagues are confident that they do not originate in our solar system.”

Dr J Allen Hynek
    The director of Project Blue Book of the US Air Force Dr J Allen Hynek (left in photo) said, “When the long-awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be not merely the next small step in the march of science, but a mighty and totally unexpected quantum leap… we had a job to do, whether right or wrong, to keep the public from getting excited.”

Plus a very good video on this subject from an awesome researcher,Timothy Good,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eppi639CUKw

Mikhail Gorbachev
    Gorbachev, the last head of state of the USSR said that " UFOs exist".
    That's that then.

Prof. Stephen Hawking
    In an interview, the professor said, “Of course it is possible that UFO’s really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up."
    Ok, It's "possible".

Dr Herman Oberth
    The German rocket engineer taken by the US after the Second World War said, “It is my thesis that ..................”

Dr J Allen Hynek
    said, “When the long-awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be .....................”

Riveting proof.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if they intended harm then wouldn't care about who they made contact with.
    IMHO I think governments do know have made contact. It would cause mass hysteria lets be blunt it would call into Question everything people believe in including Faith.

the flipside when you hear stories about the Chinese making a super sonic Sub that travels in a liquid membrane and can go at 3.500 mph god only knows what hardware various governments are coming up with
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So we are the most intelligent beings in the universe and we know all there is to know about physics?

---

The Phoenix Lights sightings are far more interesting than this Houston sighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGS09LzpARs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we are the most intelligent beings in the universe and we know all there is to know about physics?

---

The Phoenix Lights sightings are far more interesting than this Houston sighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGS09LzpARs

are you suggesting that travelling faster than light speed is possible then. Its the only way we could be visited, other than wormholes which are also a theory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you suggesting that travelling faster than light speed is possible then. Its the only way we could be visited, other than wormholes which are also a theory.
    "Our approach is a natural and logical extension of the Einstein Theory of Special Relativity, and produces anticipated formulae without the need for imaginary numbers or complicated physics."

The research has been published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A in a paper, 'Einstein's special relativity beyond the speed of light'. Their formulas extend special relativity to a situation where the relative velocity can be infinite, and can be used to describe motion at speeds faster than light.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121010092742.htm
    Theoretically, a warp drive could cut the travel time between stars from tens of thousands of years to weeks or months. But we should probably not book reservations anytime soon.

“My personal opinion is that the idea is crazy for now,” said Edwin F. Taylor, a former editor of The American Journal of Physics and senior research scientist at M.I.T. “Check with me in a hundred years.”

But Richard Obousy, a physicist who is president of Icarus Interstellar, a nonprofit group composed of volunteers collaborating on starship design, said “it is not airy-fairy, pie in the sky.”

“We tend to overestimate what we can do on short time scales, but I think we massively underestimate what we can do on longer time scales,” he said of the work of Dr. White, who is a friend and Icarus collaborator.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/science/faster-than-the-speed-of-light.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

What seems impossible now could become the norm in the future.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is interesting that discussions of UFOs always turn into discussions of aliens coming here in spaceships.

UFOs are NOT alien spaceships. These are totally separate issues.

95% + of all reported UFO sightings turn out to be misperceptions, as any serious researcher will tell you. There are - literally - hundreds of things that have been mistaken for UFOs for perfectly legitimate reasons by very credible witnesses (police officers, airline pilots etc).

Some oddities from my own investigations range from the moon setting over a hillside, a mirage distorting stars due to a weather inversion that fooled a police force and a clump of hay sucked up and carried aloft by a mini tornado.

You really do have to think laterally when investigating UFOs - one reason I have spent so much time on the subject. Each case is a scientific detective story.

But very, very often these UFOs become IFOs - Identified Flying Objects - on full investigation.

There are some that do not (the 5% or so) but many of these are very strongly evidenced to be what researchers (and the MoD) call UAP - Unidentified Atmospheric Phenomena.

These are rare, natural occurrences on the edge of known physics and atmospheric science of a number of varieties - some - for example - linked to plasmas, ball lightning, earthquake lights, aurora etc.

You can learn new science from these. But not about aliens.

Most alien contact cases are strongly divergent in terms of the raw data and appear to be interesting and not entirely explained phenomena on the edges of human consciousness. But the evidence in these cases for actual alien craft landing on earth is surprisingly limited unless you really want to believe this answer from the data.

However, it is too easy not to believe and so dismiss this evidence as imagination or nonsense. It is usually not that either and by dismissing it you miss a treasure trove of intriguing data that is certainly not all explained.

I think aliens probably do exist 'out there' so could theoretically come here - but that is a whole different ball game from this possibility being the best explanation of the unsolved UFO cases.

I will keep an open mind on the possibility, but the data comes nowhere close to proof.

Oh, and as for the quote by Dr J Allen Hynek. It is valid. I was lucky enough to know him fairly well and spent some time with him in the States. He was the main inspiration behind Spielberg's movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' (based on his classic book - The UFO Experience). Hynek is even in that movie as a thank you from Spielberg.

However, Hynek had, like me, a pretty open mind as to whether there really were aliens vehicles behind the mystery.

Sadly there are too few thinkers of his calibre in the scientific side of UFO research today - though Dr Jacques Vallee - his close colleague - and the inspiration for the lead character in Close Encounters played by Francois Truffaut (and the reason why a Frenchman was running the fictional US UFO programme in that movie) - is one with an awareness of how much deeper this phenomenon goes than simply believing (or not believing) in flying saucers on a reconnaissance mission from alpha centauri or wherever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lots of coulds, mays and theoretically's.

if it were possible to create the infinite amount of energy to keep an object in an appropriate state of velocity to match, let alone exceed, light speed. Who would want to go on a one way trip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots of coulds, mays and theoretically's.

if it were possible to create the infinite amount of energy to keep an object in an appropriate state of velocity to match, let alone exceed, light speed. Who would want to go on a one way trip.

In the future we could find a way where we don't need an infinite amount of energy to exceed light speed, and why would it be a one way trip.

You seem to be only thinking about our current tech and ideas. What will we know in 100 years or 1,000 years? There could be alien civilisations out there that are more advanced than us by millions of years.

Einstein’s static universe idea was wrong and even calculated it into his theory of general relativity.

He could be wrong again: Scientists achieve quantum teleportation breakthrough that could prove Einstein wrong

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-achieve-quantum-teleportation-breakthrough-that-could-prove-einstein-wrong-9462053.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the future we could find a way where we don't need an infinite amount of energy to exceed light speed, and why would it be a one way trip.

You seem to be only thinking about our current tech and ideas. What will we know in 100 years or 1,000 years? There could be alien civilisations out there that are more advanced than us by millions of years.

Einstein’s static universe idea was wrong and even calculated it into his theory of general relativity.

He could be wrong again: Scientists achieve quantum teleportation breakthrough that could prove Einstein wrong

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-achieve-quantum-teleportation-breakthrough-that-could-prove-einstein-wrong-9462053.html

never in a millions years will we achieve light speed, and not even then.

one because of the way time passes. Why would you want to return to a planet that has moved on 100 yrs since you left 2 days ago.