The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Didn't anyone else think Iain's marching out of the tent and marching back again and presenting the bin as somewhat stage managed?

Not to me. He looked upset and angry and needed to get out of the tent. The fact he came back pleased me as I would have probably stormed off and just left. I think it was brave of him.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I think it was a bit of creative editing which has backfired big time!

As it was such a hot day, and everyone was clearly struggling to get the ice cream to set, it was a tempation for the crew when Diana took Ian's cake out of the freezer and set it on her workbench over her oven which was blasting away cooking her chuffing swan.

If she had to touch Ian's cake at all, she should have told him as she removed it that it was out of the freezer - and if she didn't - the other contestants/ presenters/ crew should have let him know. I don't believe the 40 seconds nonsense - the ice cream was too melted and soft to have been out for such a short time.

I think they saw the potential for another custard gate like last year - but just didn't expect Iain's OTT reaction. I think as has been suggested, they should have given him a bye and eliminated two next week, and warned all the contestants not to touch anyone else's bakes.

I think Diana was stupid - but not vindictive, and she doesn't deserve the vilification she has endured because of it. That said - she did cause another contestant to have a meltdown because of her actions, and as a direct result of her meddling he went home. The editing of her reaction to the incident has been unfair too, I'm sure she was as upset as Iain was at the outcome.

I think the BBC should offer Iain a place in next year's competition as an apology.

Brilliant post :)
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Some people just love to see drama and backstabbing where none exists.
    Actually if you look back at the programme it was Nancy who actually took the ice cream out of the freezer not Diana. She was the one who asked whose ice cream it was and said 'sorry Ian' as in 'sorry, but you're going to have to put it in your own freezer' but some despicable editing at the BBC managed to make it look like something else.
    Everyone who was actually in the tent at the time seems to back up Diana's version of events.
    Forum Member
    Sorry that wasn't directed at you CaroUK. Our posts crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people just love to see drama and backstabbing where none exists.
    Actually if you look back at the programme it was Nancy who actually took the ice cream out of the freezer not Diana. She was the one who asked whose ice cream it was and said 'sorry Ian' as in 'sorry, but you're going to have to put it in your own freezer' but some despicable editing at the BBC managed to make it look like something else.
    Everyone who was actually in the tent at the time seems to back up Diana's version of events.

Diana herself says she was the one who took it out.
  • sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    I think you're getting confused with American Pie, easy mistake to make...

*Snigger*
  • Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I be the first to call BS on the 40sec out of the fridge thing? I just dont buy it. Maybe Sue was just trying to calm folk on twitter down
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Diana herself says she was the one who took it out.

What she actually said was ‘It didn’t happen like that, I found Iain’s ice-cream in my freezer I asked whose it was and Iain took it away,'. But it definitely seems to be Nancy actually taking the ice cream out of the freezer.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Why on earth can't the BBC run to a freezer each, if they're going to give them baked alaska to do on such a hot day. It was never going to be successful for any of them, they should have had a lot longer, maybe overnight, in order for the ice cream to freeze properly. It seems very stage managed to me. Anything for a bit of drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What she actually said was ‘It didn’t happen like that, I found Iain’s ice-cream in my freezer I asked whose it was and Iain took it away,'. But it definitely seems to be Nancy actually taking the ice cream out of the freezer.

I'm sure in the radio interview she says 'I took it out'. There is a link somewhere further up the thread. I listened earlier

EDIT: just listened again as I'd hate to be accusing her wrongly but she does say 'I asked whose it was. Took it out because mine needed freezing. Iain came and took it away and it was out of the freezer for, I don't know, forty seconds'
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I still don't think, though, that she just took it out and carelessly left it standing around without telling Ian. She said 'whose is this' and he took it which sounds perfectly reasonable to me as it shouldn't have been in their freezer. The editing was definitely done for sensation purposes.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I hope the fact that the celebs are scrambling around finding excuses and justifications for Diana's selfish and thoughtless behaviour doesn't mean that she has actually won the series and they are trying to rescue something from the wreckage of what will be seen as a most unpopular winner?

I didn't like the shoulder-shrug she gave when she realised she had runied Iain's chances in the competition, or her grinning like a self-satisfied Cheshire cat as he left. She clearly didn't care too hoots - as long as SHE was okay.

Horrible woman.

The time to worry will if she makes a complete mess of things next week but is not eliminated, it will mean they are keeping her in for dramatic effect.

But I will think it was all Iain's fault last night.
  • brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spanner82 wrote: »
    Can I be the first to call BS on the 40sec out of the fridge thing? I just dont buy it. Maybe Sue was just trying to calm folk on twitter down

Sorry to repost something I put earlier, but I think it is relevant.

I've been thinking about this. I don't disbelieve Sue at all but when he turned it out, there was a solid ice cream lump in the middle with runny custard round the outside. That's how ice cream melts. However, from my experience of ice cream making ( and I have quite a bit ), ice cream freezes from the outside into the middle. For the middle to be frozen into a lump, all of the ice cream must have been set at some point. It therefore appears to me that either the ice cream was out longer or it had been put somewhere very warm (I believe someone intimated on top of Diana's or Nancy's oven?).
  • TrishaBTrishaB Posts: 2,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched it back. Nancy takes HER OWN ice cream out of the freezer. Diana points at another container and says to Nancy, 'Whose it that?' Nancy says, 'Iain's, I think' and goes away with her own ice cream.

Then, we see Iain coming to get his ice cream and seeing it on the side. Diana says, 'Sorry, Iain, I forgot.' Then she says crossly, 'Don't you have your own freezer?' Then she makes faces, but that may be the editing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I still don't think, though, that she just took it out and carelessly left it standing around without telling Ian. She said 'whose is this' and he took it which sounds perfectly reasonable to me as it shouldn't have been in their freezer. The editing was definitely done for sensation purposes.

I agree the editing was shocking. Out of everyone it is the BBC who come out of it the worse in my opinion.

But I don't think it was as quick as we are being told because Iain asked who had taken it out of the freezer. If Diana asked whose it was and Iain heard and came over to get it he wouldn't have asked who had taken it out. He would have known.

I think she took it out because, as she says above, hers needed freezing and she saw that freezer as hers.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I'm sure in the radio interview she says 'I took it out'. There is a link somewhere further up the thread. I listened earlier

EDIT: just listened again as I'd hate to be accusing her wrongly but she does say 'I asked whose it was. Took it out because mine needed freezing. Iain came and took it away and it was out of the freezer for, I don't know, forty seconds'
    So Diane herself said the 40 seconds bit, not someone from the BBC supposedly "covering up".

Talk about a mountain out of a molehill folks. It's a TV programme about baking.
    Forum Member
    Diana has quit by next week, due to illness
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So Diane herself said the 40 seconds bit, not someone from the BBC supposedly "covering up".

Talk about a mountain out of a molehill folks. It's a TV programme about baking.

No, it was Sue Perkins who first tweeted that last night.

Diana's interview was later.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Diana has quit by next week, due to illness
    Really? Do you know this for sure or are you just joking? Oh I read online that it's true. It makes her look even more guilty now.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Do you know this for sure or are you just joking?
  • brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Do you know this for sure or are you just joking?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    jabegy wrote: »
    Why on earth can't the BBC run to a freezer each, if they're going to give them baked alaska to do on such a hot day. It was never going to be successful for any of them, they should have had a lot longer, maybe overnight, in order for the ice cream to freeze properly.

Yes either that or provide them with proper trade-standard freezers or blast/shock freezers.... not those wonky domestic ones they have on the show.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Her sudden departure due to "illness" makes her look even more guilty now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I only know it, because I know someone that worked on the contracts. Also, they get to sell lots of books and make money. From all accounts Toad was a star to work with..really nice chap

Who is Toad?
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her sudden departure due to "illness" makes her look even more guilty now.
    Well that's for you to surmise, I don't really think there is anything untoward in it and see it as it says, that she is out ill.