Options

Salmond wants £10bn carve up of the forces and 9,000 troops for Scotland

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland has no debt, however the reverse can be said and say Scotland has no assets. What will happen is people round a table will negotiate what's fair for both parties.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Scotland has no debt, however the reverse can be said and say Scotland has no assets. What will happen is people round a table will negotiate what's fair for both parties.

Exactly. Which is why, in my view, Scotland will take its share of the debt. There will also be a currency union. Trident will remain on the Clyde for longer than some would hope for.

There will be give and take on both sides.
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    Scotland will pay its share of the debt and receive its share of the assets

I think you're spot on, so what has a CU got to do with anything... given the pound is not an asset.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I think you're spot on, so what has a CU got to do with anything... given the pound is not an asset.

The people of the UK will vote for a CU in the referendum.

Talking in absolutes is a very dangerous game.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    An independent Scotland would be entitled to a proportion of the assets of the armed forces of the UK. Exactly what it gets would be determined as part of the negotiations on how the dissolution of the union takes place.

And please Yes supporters, stop thinking that if there is a yes vote you will get a currency union. There is no chance of that. If as we constantly hear from the Yes supporters Scotland has a stronger economy than the rest of the UK why would you not want your own central bank and your own pound?
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Which is why, in my view, Scotland will take its share of the debt. There will also be a currency union. Trident will remain on the Clyde for longer than some would hope for.

There will be give and take on both sides.

How deliciously pragmatic and even-handed.

Unfortunately, it's not going to work like that. While the spoils will be shared fairly, and while there will be give and take, as the smaller party with nothing to bring to the table except a blowhole with a fractional mandate, Scotland will be tossed the odd bone during negotiations - and that's it. IF currency Union happens (which given all the warnings I very much doubt), it will come at a significant cost - translation: the loss of financial independence. And if you think the rUK will sit back and help set up a country that is intending to be a direct competitor with every intention of stealing business - you're dreaming.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Unfortunately, it's not going to work like that. While the spoils will be shared fairly, and while there will be give and take, as the smaller party with nothing to bring to the table except a blowhole with a fractional mandate, Scotland will be tossed the odd bone during negotiations - and that's it. IF currency Union happens (which given all the warnings I very much doubt), it will come at a significant cost - translation: the loss of financial independence. And if you think the rUK will sit back and help set up a country that is intending to be a direct competitor with every intention of stealing business - you're dreaming.

Why David, you sound like one of the conspiratorial Westminster types! How dare you! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The people of the UK will vote for a CU in the referendum.

Talking in absolutes is a very dangerous game.
    No they will not. The rest of the UK has a decent economy in world terms with or without Scotland. However it will also be incurring additional cost due to the dissolution of the Union so why would it give itself an additional risk of carrying a much smaller economy that may have to get bailed out by us? Never mind the volume of people who would vote against it simply because of the bile and anti England sentiment with the 'its all Westminster' angle employed the the Yes campaign.

Any party in the UK that went for a Currency Union would lose its support overnight.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Another threat. Heard hundreds of them over the past few weeks. Bit immune to the scares and threats now.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    If Scotland votes Yes on Thursday negotiations will then take place. That's how it works in the grown ups world.

that wasn't the question you were asked however

you have acknowledged if Scotland got a fair share of assets it will pay a fair share of debts , this seems in contradiction to the statements that no currency union will result in not paying any debt

I was asking your opinion on that , that's called a discussion , that's what grown ups do rather than avoid questions and attempt to patronise people
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Well, it's more a matter of looking out for Scotland's needs if it's a Yes vote.
    Or looking after his own place in the history books at the expense of the Scottish people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    rwould wrote: »
    No they will not. The rest of the UK has a decent economy in world terms with or without Scotland. However it will also be incurring additional cost due to the dissolution of the Union so why would it give itself an additional risk of carrying a much smaller economy that may have to get bailed out by us? Never mind the volume of people who would vote against it simply because of the bile and anti England sentiment with the 'its all Westminster' angle employed the the Yes campaign.

Any party in the UK that went for a Currency Union would lose its support overnight.

I know there won't be one. I was referring to pedrok who is talking as if he knows the future.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    Or looking after his own place in the history books at the expense of the Scottish people.

Why would his desire for the best possible independence settlement be bad for the Scottish people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His first act will be to create a life president role for himself and the creation of 10,000s of jobs building his palace :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another threat. Heard hundreds of them over the past few weeks. Bit immune to the scares and threats now.
    So how do you feel about "no pound no debt"
    Or "when we get a yes vote we will use that power for a day of reckoning with BP and the banks"
    Or “Devolution has allowed us to protect the Scottish Health Service from the destructive policies of successive Westminster governments, but only independence will protect the Scottish Health Service from the future budgetary consequences of the accelerating privatisation of NHS England. Put patients before profits. Vote Yes on 18 September.”
    Both sides are playing a scare campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know there won't be one. I was referring to pedrok who is talking as if he knows the future.
    Sorry, is the problem with reading a post in isolation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Scotland has no debt.
    Neither does England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Fortunately the politicians in those countries are grown up enough unlike the SNP thugs to accept you cant just make money disappear, and realise the debt will be spread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His first act will be to create a life president role for himself and the creation of 10,000s of jobs building his palace :)

I completely disagree.

Life President is far too small for him. He'll make himself something like Lord High Commissioner of the Greater Scottish Universe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God you're deluded if you think we will have a currency union. It's not a threat, it's fact.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    So how do you feel about "no pound no debt"
    Or "when we get a yes vote we will use that power for a day of reckoning with BP and the banks"
    Or “Devolution has allowed us to protect the Scottish Health Service from the destructive policies of successive Westminster governments, but only independence will protect the Scottish Health Service from the future budgetary consequences of the accelerating privatisation of NHS England. Put patients before profits. Vote Yes on 18 September.”
    Both sides are playing a scare campaign.

BiB - nowt to do with SNP policy at all.

As for the Health Service - you are aware of the current negotiations between the EU and USA on the Free Trade Agreement, which poses a risk to the NHS?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pm-must-exclude-nhs-from-euus-trade-deal-or-it-could-be-sued-union-warns-9580243.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite impressed how the Scot Nats think rUK are going to do all these wonderful things for them such as CU, defence, no debt, etc, etc.

It's bizarre. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God you're deluded if you think we will have a currency union. It's not a threat, it's fact.

Let's see if I have this correct. We're co-owners of the UK when it comes to the debts run up, but when it comes to the currency we're not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see if I have this correct. We're co-owners of the UK when it comes to the debts run up, but when it comes to the currency we're not?

There are three other countries in this union, and we have the bulk of the UK's population. And it's Scotland that wants rid.

So we keep the currency for the remaining countries and the majority of the people, and Scotland needs to sort itself out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a difference between debt and currency.

The idea is, in a hypothetical post-independence world, the UK Treasury would send a proportion of the national debt to the Scottish Treasury.

The Scottish Treasury then does as it pleases with it, whether through hyper-inflation of the new Scottish Groat, defaulting or paying it off using the trillions in oil revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither does England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Fortunately the politicians in those countries are grown up enough unlike the SNP thugs to accept you cant just make money disappear, and realise the debt will be spread.

SNP thugs - how quick some folks forget.

It was the bloody SNP who were totally against the UK getting involved in the Iraq War, whilst the Westminster Government just went ahead without so much as a nod from the UN - licking Bush's arse all the way to the resultant chaos we're now seeing.

Thugs? Aye right.