Appalling Nokia Customer Service

L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
Forum Member
✭✭
I pre-ordered the N8 on 14/09/2010 from the Nokia online shop. At the time, they said it would be with me at the end of September.

Then they told me "For your maximum enjoyment of the Nokia N8, we had to move the delivery by a few weeks. You will receive your brand new Nokia N8 during October."

On October 6th, it was very exciting! They said "Your Nokia N8 will soon be ready for delivery and we expect to deliver it to you within the next two weeks. You will be one of the first to receive the new Nokia N8, packed with lots of exciting features."

I've just received another e-mail from them.

"Unfortunately we were unable to process your order xxxxxx

As a result, your order has been cancelled and you will need to place a new order.
We kindly request that you place your order again by visiting Nokia Online Shop"

There's no reason supplied, and their phoneline closed at 5pm.
What an interesting way to run a business.

Comments

• prkingprking Posts: 9,789
    Forum Member
    I was treated shockingly when they messed up a repair.
    They have great phones but an awful way of dealing with the public.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is shocking, they have been sending me texts about the N8, you would think they would treat someone who has pre-ordered one like a King.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,789
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read that exactly the same thing happened to the guy at Symbian Guru with the N97 and was one of the reasons he dramatically withdrew his support.
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    I'm sure I read that exactly the same thing happened to the guy at Symbian Guru with the N97 and was one of the reasons he dramatically withdrew his support.

If you happen to remember where you read it, could you post a link? In a way, it's nice to know it wasn't just me, if you know what I mean.

I'm going to give them a call this morning to see what happened, but I'm not holding my breath for a meaningful or truthful explanation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, this is entertaining.

Used the freephone number that was listed in my first 2 e-mails from Nokia on-line. (The cancellation e-mail didn't list any number).

On-hold for 20 minutes with some lovely jazz muzak until I spoke to "Mary" in Sales. She originally told me that it was because "the bank refused the transaction", and that I needed to talk to my bank. I asked her for the bank's reference code for this transaction - which she couldn't provide. With a small amount of digging, I discovered that she had actually made that bit up, based on the number of other customers phoning up with the same problem. (Sorry, but I really hate it when people make things up - just own up that you don't know & put me through to someone who does!)

She gave up and transferred me to "Lucas" in Support.

Lucas was able to look into my details & discovered that it was because my shipping address was different to my billing address. I wanted it delivered to work, but billed to my own credit card, and the Nokia on-line website let me do it. They've apparently logged it as a bug, although you have to wonder why they've never noticed it before.

Lucas suggested that I place a new order with Sales, but I didn't really fancy going back on-hold for another 20 mins. He said it was a queue due to the N8 being released, which I then pointed out that I'd had a 4 week headstart on that queue... ;)

He's asked them to call me back today - but, based on experience, I'm not holding my breath, again. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I've noticed that even DS is now taunting me with a lovely advert for an N8 down the left-hand panel! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucas was able to look into my details & discovered that it was because my shipping address was different to my billing address. I wanted it delivered to work, but billed to my own credit card, and the Nokia on-line website let me do it. They've apparently logged it as a bug, although you have to wonder why they've never noticed it before.
    So it was the credit card company refusing the purchase that caused it? Lots of companies will not authorise a purchase to be sent to anything other the billing address. I understand the frustration of the system letting you make the original order though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    So it was the credit card company refusing the purchase that caused it? Lots of companies will not authorise a purchase to be sent to anything other the billing address. I understand the frustration of the system letting you make the original order though.

It's good that there's security in place that stops goods from fraudulently being sent to a delivery address that isn't the billing address. Is it the responsibility of the company or the credit card company to ensure that there's adequate checks in place if they allow the customer to choose a different delivery address?

This isn't the first phone ever that Nokia have sold through their on-line store. Also (as I placed my pre-order 1 month ago and they were allowing a different delivery address to be entered then) it's clear that this not a new feature - so I'd assume it's set up to allow different addresses. It's not clear to me what's gone wrong this time. :(
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't Nokia have informed customers of the billing/delivery problem, that causes order cancellation immediately and not keep sending them e-mails about the delivery time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't Nokia have informed customers of the billing/delivery problem, that causes order cancellation immediately and not keep sending them e-mails about the delivery time.

That would've been helpful. I'm really finding it hard to understand how this would've come as a surprise to them.

It also would've even been good to have been given the reason for the cancellation in the e-mail (that would've saved me half an hour on the phone this morning - including the 20 mins I had to endure the jazz...)

Being a glutton for punishment, I tried ordering through the website (this time to get it shipped to home). I entered credit card details, and pressed the button - only to get "unexpected error occurred"! :eek:

Maybe Nokia don't want to sell?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to keep ranting, but I just found this on their Delivery Options page ( http://shop.nokia.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GOSPFAQs?langId=-11&storeId=10512&catalogId=10102#section3a )
    Can I get my item sent to another address?
    Yes, when you place your order you can choose to have it shipped to an address that is different to that of your billing address. Please note however, that once your order has been placed and delivery address chosen it cannot be changed.

This is Finnish humour, surely?!