Love and Monsters: Rate

TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
Forum Member
I didn't use these forums back in 2006 when Love and Monsters aired, so I'm curious to know what people think about what, in my opinion, is the worst episode of Doctor Who ever. Not only that but it is the ONLY episode of Doctor Who since its revival that I don't like.
So please vote and comment so I can see if this was an exceptional episode, because of its awfulness or will it follow a similar pattern to all the other episode polls.

Rate Doctor Who Series 2 Episode 10: Love & Monsters 105 votes

Excellent
14% 15 votes
Good
23% 25 votes
Average
12% 13 votes
Awful
24% 26 votes
Worst Episode Ever
24% 26 votes

Comments

• tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely abysmal. Loathed it then, and still do. This kind of peurile trash doesn't deserve to be called Doctor Who.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't use these forums back in 2006 when Love and Monsters aired, so I'm curious to know what people think about what, in my opinion, is the worst episode of Doctor Who ever. Not only that but it is the ONLY episode of Doctor Who since its revival that I don't like.
    So please vote and comment so I can see if this was an exceptional episode, because of its awfulness or will it follow a similar pattern to all the other episode polls.

Absolutely agree with you, I always skip this episode if I watch the new series through. The worst episode of New Who by a country mile......
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely abysmal. Loathed it then, and still do. This kind of peurile trash doesn't deserve to be called Doctor Who.

Yep, couldn't have put it better myself
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to vote awful. Not the worst episode ever but I didn't like it much when I first saw it and I'm not much in favour now. There are some good points but not enough to change how I feel about the episode overall. :(
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate it. But have grown to like parts of it. Remove the abzorbaloff and the paving slab ending and it would be much better in my opinion.

Because I have grown to like it slightly, I voted average as before it would have been awful.

Worst episode ever for me, would be Idiots Lantern or Fear Her. I would have to watch them both to decide which I disliked more and I am not prepared to do that. :D
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Are we going to have a poll for every episode ever made?
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »

Now that would be just silly. :mad::rolleyes:;) But if we start with an Unearthly Child......:D
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The novelty will wear off soon. Either that or DS will turn the feature off again. :D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lol. I voted Good because I actually enjoyed it a lot more than many other pre-Moffat episodes. The monster was a bit crap but the actual story and dialogue were good. Nicely played by all the guest actors too.

Worst episode for me would be something like Voyage of the Damned, End of Time (x2), Last of the Time Lords, anything with Slitheen in it. The Doctor's Daughter is significantly worse than Love & Monsters.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I voted Good but would have gone for Excellent if it wasn't for Peter -ing Kay
  • TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
    Forum Member

No, just this one
    Forum Member
    lol. I voted Good because I actually enjoyed it a lot more than many other pre-Moffat episodes. The monster was a bit crap but the actual story and dialogue were good. Nicely played by all the guest actors too.

Worst episode for me would be something like Voyage of the Damned, End of Time (x2), Last of the Time Lords, anything with Slitheen in it. The Doctor's Daughter is significantly worse than Love & Monsters.

I like all those episodes more than Love & Monsters. Just goes to show that people do have significantly different opinions ;)
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Apart from PK, the cast was excellent and it should have been good!

What we got is something that was banal and would have probably been better as a Sarah Jane Adventure, but that is an insult to SJA too!

The worst story ever imo!

Although the back story ie the little boy who lost his mum because of the Doctor, was a good concept but executed very badly!

The whole episode was just a vehicle for PK and the result of a Blue Peter competition, nuff sed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the "worst episode ever", but yeah, it's pretty bad.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Apart from PK, the cast was excellent and it should have been good!

What we got is something that was banal and would have probably been better as a Sarah Jane Adventure, but that is an insult to SJA too!

The worst story ever imo!

Although the back story ie the little boy who lost his mum because of the Doctor, was a good concept but executed very badly!

The whole episode was just a vehicle for PK and the result of a Blue Peter competition, nuff sed!

And ironically, the kid who won the competition was disappointed because the Abzorbaloff was supposed to be the size of a double-decker bus.

It's a pretty poor script-the baddie is defeated when his cane is easily snapped in half, and why does the Doctor allow Rose to go harangue poor Elton, and then laugh at the
    awful things the Abzorbaloff did? :confused:
    Forum Member
    And ironically, the kid who won the competition was disappointed because the Abzorbaloff was supposed to be the size of a double-decker bus.

It's a pretty poor script-the baddie is defeated when his cane is easily snapped in half, and why does the Doctor allow Rose to go harangue poor Elton, and then laugh at the
    awful things the Abzorbaloff did? :confused:

I think the Abzorbaloff would have been good if it wasn't acted by a comedian and if the episode had a much better storyline, with the Doctor in it a lot. Doctor-lite episodes need to have really good storylines to compensate for the fact that the Doctor isn't in them much.
    Forum Member
    So, at the moment it looks like most people have voted for "Worst episode ever", but "Good" being close behind - so some mixed views. One more has voted for awful than average, and 4 people think this episode is excellent.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I like all those episodes more than Love & Monsters.

Really? The Doctor's Daughter made me vomit. :(
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Really? The Doctor's Daughter made me vomit. :(
    Nah, there were some strong themes and ideas in TDD. I'm willing to look past some of the sequences that don't work quite so well.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

His own fault for not making it clear when he submitted it. And how did he think they'd make something that size work as a villain, anyway? Didn't think it through really, did he?
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite liked it myself (Good, but not excellent). Though I do like Peter Kay which helped a lot. Can think of quite a few episodes I'd rate lower than this.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Love & Monsters gets singled out for such bile. It wasn't the worst episode that year or even that fortnight (hello, Fear Her). It's character led and doesn't really feature any running up and down corridors, doesn't entirely succeed in its aims and Peter Kay mercifully isn't in it as much as your memory probably tells you.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

Hate to admit this but I agree with you. :)
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was terrible; but not as bad as Fear Her... Shudders.

Series 2 was a bit of a dud in all honesty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful for me.

Not the worst episode ever but probably in the bottom five along with Aliens of London, World War II, Tooth and Claw and Rose.