British vs American English Pronunciation

KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
Forum Member
I found this to be a fascinating video. Assuming you're British, try to guess how the words are pronounced by the American person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAnT3PASak

It's harder to do a US accent than one might think!

PS I absolutely distance myself from any attempts to cause animosity as can happen with this subject.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Obviously these are the standard British and standard American pronunciations. Accents do vary some within each country.

Overall it seems pretty accurate to me. I've heard Americans say route either way, though.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    Overall it seems pretty accurate to me. I've heard Americans say route either way, though.

"Vase" caught me out, that was a total surprise.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye-rack, eye-ran
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    "Vase" caught me out, that was a total surprise.

Interesting, but as has been pointed out, accents vary from one part of a country to another. Having been born and raised in Scotland, I tend not to drop the final "r" in words like "other" and "clever", so the pronunciation is more like American English than British English. It's also very common in this country to pronounce gah-raj instead of ga-rage, address instead of address, and inquiry instead of inquiry, especially when referring to a formal investigation. The one I can never get my head round is "alooominum"! :D

The pronunciation of words also changes with time. When I was younger, I never heard anyone say "harassed". It was always "harassed" ... but that seemed to change when "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" came along!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Australians say 'vase' the American way.
  • McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, but as has been pointed out, accents vary from one part of a country to another.

Yes - e.g. the word 'work' in the West of England is pronounced much the same as in the U.S.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    karijn wrote: »
    Australians say 'vase' the American way.

I'd say on the East Coast they do.
  • BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    A lot of words we in the UK say are spoken the same way in parts of the US. This questionnaire is a bit of fun but shows how (especially in the NE of the US) a lot of words are spoken the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednecks pronounce 'bitch' - 'bee-yutch!'

Not mentioned on the video.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonymoroni wrote: »
    A lot of words we in the UK say are spoken the same way in parts of the US. This questionnaire is a bit of fun but shows how (especially in the NE of the US) a lot of words are spoken the same way.

I'm stuck at question 1!

Aunt rhymes with none of those. :confused:
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I'm stuck at question 1!

Aunt rhymes with none of those. :confused:

Rhymes with "can't" for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonymoroni wrote: »
    Rhymes with "can't" for me.

It's the same as "ant" for me, rhymes with "pant" or "rant".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I'd say on the East Coast they do.

Yes, Vic, NSW, QLD. They also say scone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Americans cannot say their vowels right, they get it wrong all the time, we gave them the language but they cannot use it correctly such as "I don't gotta do that" what about Tomato, they get it wrong, enough said, we could all go on for a long time "Aluminum" yuck.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B.Caine wrote: »
    Americans cannot say their vowels right, they get it wrong all the time, we gave them the language but they cannot use it correctly such as "I don't gotta do that" what about Tomato, they get it wrong, enough said, we could all go on for a long time "Aluminum" yuck.

We do know how to use periods (full stops) in sentence structure though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D ;)
    Forum Member

You missed a trick with your mini rant. You could have also said Americans say aluminium wrong because they spell it wrong too. :rolleyes:
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

It's not a case of "right and wrong"! English is spoken in different ways all round the world, including within England itself. A Cockney, a Yorkshireman and a Geordie do not pronounce letters or words in the same way.

D'ye no ken that? ;)
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

:D:D And you gave us Johnny Depp, Matthew Gubler Gray and Green Day so I'll forgive you anything! Ooh, and Paramore!
    Forum Member

Americans get it 100% right, "it" being American English. It's not some degenerate form as you imply.

Play nice.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, it's never occurred to me that Americans don't usually pronounce the 't' in words like cat or hut.
    Forum Member
    Interesting, but as has been pointed out, accents vary from one part of a country to another. Having been born and raised in Scotland, I tend not to drop the final "r" in words like "other" and "clever", so the pronunciation is more like American English than British English. It's also very common in this country to pronounce gah-raj instead of ga-rage, address instead of address, and inquiry instead of inquiry, especially when referring to a formal investigation. The one I can never get my head round is "alooominum"! :D

You're absolutely right, the two types didn't diverge overnight, there are differences in accents, so one can find exceptions to disprove any generic statement about differences between British and American English.

Dig around on the YouTube sidebar on that page and you'll see some great stuff about "how to get a proper British accent". The fascination for me was learning the rules we absorbed as children that others fnd so opaque.

Conversely I know that US English has its rules too, so British people like me can enjoy figuring them out.

I'd really like to learn from US chums what we British get wrong about US English :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    Funny, it's never occurred to me that Americans don't usually pronounce the 't' in words like cat or hut.

In those particular words I always heard it more as a flap t sound, so it sounds more like a d. Cad and hud.

Not as noticeable as when words like better or butter almost become bedder and budder in American English, but still sort of there, just about.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    In those particular words I always heard it more as a flap t sound, so it sounds more like a d. Cad and hud.

Not as noticeable as when words like better or butter almost become bedder and budder in American English, but still sort of there, just about.

and Dentist is Dinniss.:rolleyes:
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in the USA for a year back in the 80's, and had an American English dictionary to enable me to correctly type some words as needed in my job.

I was always surprised that, over the many years since the USA was a colony, that the term American wasn't used for the language, instead of using American English. It would stop all this 'you say it wrong/right' malarky if it were given it's own name as it is it's own language.

After all, we don't say that we here in the UK speak Scandinavian/Latin/Gaelic English (add any other language that our language has derived words from to the list :D)