Stargazing Live 2014

Comments

• Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    CBeebies is also still available on iplayer in case you're still bored.:o

Is Liz still Gushing about how that glorified Green rainbow so it can justify her jaunt to Norway.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Really bored of this burning of licence fee money.. so bored infact i`m gonna turn off and watch Kirsty Alsopp :cry:
    Good riddance. You can bore the arse of that thread with inane comments instead. :)
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Liz still Gushing about how that glorified Green rainbow so it can justify her jaunt to Norway.

I think you really need to watch the show rather than whining about it if you think the aurora is in any way similar to a rainbow...
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they mention there's an enormous sunspot you can see with the naked eye (eclipse glasses of course) at the moment? These are very rare and I would have thought it worth a mention.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Did they mention there's an enormous sunspot you can see with the naked eye (eclipse glasses of course) at the moment? These are very rare and I would have thought it worth a mention.

http://www.spaceweather.com/
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Good riddance. You can bore the arse of that thread with inane comments instead. :)

Oh Sorry let me join in with you all

Ohh look at that, it`s green... that`s amazing.. oh and look at that picture of a Dot. Fantastic. Oh and they`ve sent a comedian to America to look at a Rocket.. oh I`m so amazed and I wish my licence fee was double so he can go to the airport by limo next time
  • Options
    Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For someone claiming to be bored by it all, you seem to be taking rather a lot of interest in it.
    Just to educate you a little, a green rainbow is an oxymoron -rainbows, by definition are multicoloured. Better go back to Kirsty eh?
  • Options
    AlienExplorerAlienExplorer Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Why do they stop after an hour and come back for another 30 mins?
    Why not just have one long 90 min programme?
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Why do they stop after an hour and come back for another 30 mins?
    Why not just have one long 90 min programme?

To play some adverts evidently. >:(
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the most boring show I've seen on TV.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the most boring show I've seen on TV.

Why's that, then? Are you usually fascinated by astronomy, but felt let down by this? Or is it just a subject you're not interested in?
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Liz made a pretty good presentation tonight. In the past her boredom has been obvious, but she appeared genuinely enthused and engaged with this topic.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    Why's that, then? Are you usually fascinated by astronomy, but felt let down by this? Or is it just a subject you're not interested in?

The clue is in the FM's name, someone is using a bit of ironic humour.
    I wouldn't waste you time trying to be adult about them, treat like a roundabout and drive straight on IMO.

You can do what you like obviously, caveats apply and all that sort of thing.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clue is in the FM's name, someone is using a bit of ironic humour.
    I wouldn't waste you time trying to be adult about them, treat like a roundabout and drive straight on IMO.

You can do what you like obviously, caveats apply and all that sort of thing.

Sorry, I feel a bit stupid now.

P.S. Of course, my remark was ironic too. ;-)
  • Options
    sogosogo Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Another year, another thread of people moaning that they can't understand Dara, probably :p

I have no trouble understanding him, just wish he wasn't there. I think he spoils a great program. Pretty much anyone else would be better.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    There`s tons of archive footage of the Lights, why didn`t they just show that?
    If you had been paying attention to the programme you would have learnt that this is filming of the lights in realtime (rather than time-lapse) which has never been done before, apparently so there is *no* archive footage of that. :kitty:
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I didn't want to post while I was watching, what a fantastic show, I'd pay my licence fee just for that and Sherlock! If they'd just lose the truly awful K9 bit it'd be almost perfect. When they went to Liz in Tromso and the aurora was visible in the background I was actually shouting with excitement. I think the combination of Dara and Brian works great, I do find Liz annoying but I can cope as she's not on too much.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learnt you don't need to have time laps to see aurora to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I like Dara O'Brien but he always makes me feel nervous as he seems anxious when he's presenting. He's clearly being cued through his ear piece and is keen to keep the programme moving along but sometimes this makes him seem to butt in. Brian is good but he always seems a little spaced out, smiling his way through as Dara manfully struggles to manage things ;)
    Did anyone else notice the American scientist rather abruptly correct the others a few times in the 'green room' bit? They all seemed a bit nervous to assert any facts after that, in case she might correct them too! ;)
    I love this programme despite its flaws, it's great to see astronomy on mainstream TV :)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I cannot stand Dara O'Briain. He almost makes it unwatchable.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Dara, I think he's a big mate of Brian Cox so he's not going anywhere, I don't mind Liz either to be honest akthough I'd prefer Lucie Green.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it with everyone here bashing good BBC programs? Is it en Vogue thing I have missed?

Slag off Doctor Who, Sherlock, (Because its too complicated and a waste of license fee or because they hate Moffat) or they slag off a science program (which costs almost next to nothing to make since there is no post production editing/costumes/special effects to do)

Wish those people would stick to their usual Benidorm, Eastenders or I'm a a celebrity. Its almost like people want dumbed down tv!
    :confused:
    :rolleyes:

For the record, I wish there were more programs like this. Its good, entertaining and informative. I learnt something whilst being entertained, bit like watching QI

That's why I am happy to pay my License fee.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the BBC sent Liz Bonin and an OB crew to Norway all expenses paid... just for that??

Don't you think that Stargazing Live should have live reports?

Do you think that she should have gone at her own expense.

We don't know if she took an OB crew, could well have been local satellite truck with a camera. Could have just been a producer to liaise with the main programme and instruct the local cameraman but presumably you object to that also.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    What is it with everyone here bashing good BBC programs? Is it en Vogue thing I have missed?

Slag off Doctor Who, Sherlock, (Because its too complicated and a waste of license fee or because they hate Moffat) or they slag off a science program (which costs almost next to nothing to make since there is no post production editing/costumes/special effects to do)

Wish those people would stick to their usual Benidorm, Eastenders or I'm a a celebrity. Its almost like people want dumbed down tv!
    :confused:
    :rolleyes:

For the record, I wish there were more programs like this. Its good, entertaining and informative. I learnt something whilst being entertained, bit like watching QI

That's why I am happy to pay my License fee.

It's fine for what it is (O'Briain excepted). I just find the presentation a bit...populist. I'd prefer a decent science documentary, tbh.

(Also, funny how the American woman contradicted almost everything that was said, lol).
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you have preferred they stayed in London and just leant out of a window?

Window! That would need hiring a room, I presume he would want her to stand in the street.