Do you think you could murder someone?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
I think in the heat of the moment, anything is possiable.

Comments

• chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe everyone is capable of it, given the right circumstances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I have seriously considered it, when I was being completely terrorised by a psycho ex. But realised I couldn't go through with killing anyone. Even a really evil person who was threatening my children.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no absolutely not.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    For malicious or heat of the moment reasons - no.

If someone did something atrocious to my family - maybe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly yes
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Sure, as long as the wind didn't change suddenly or something. :blush:
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Yes. Definitely.
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I think I could kill someone, in a self-defence scenario or to protect someone else.
    I think if I could justify it as being for the greater good, I might be able to murder someone -like if I had the chance to take out an evil dictator. Would have to be shooting or poison though; my squeamishness about strangling someone or stabbing them would overrun any utilitarian principles.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think, no. Know, yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    I believe everyone is capable of it, given the right circumstances.

Exactly what I'm thinking. But saying that, I'm not sure I could live with the guilt.
  • JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually considered murdering somebody once. It was about 20 years ago and I was working as a nurse in a care of the elderly ward. One man, who had a DNAR on his notes was clearly about to die, and his daughter had been given 'the call'. She was with him for a couple of hours and he was clearly in the death throes, Cheyne- Stoking, but keeping coming back. She was clearly distraught and said to him, 'Oh please dad -just let go'. I momentarily considered sending her out of the room and holding a pillow over his face, but didn't have it in me. He died about 15 mins later.

I sometimes used to think about if it was right to allow them both to undergo that additional 15 mins of torment...
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Both of my kids sometimes.
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    100% yes. If I could murder a certain person with absolute guarantee of never being caught then I wouldn't hesitate.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One or two on this forum I could. :D
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Jackiebo wrote: »
    I actually considered murdering somebody once. It was about 20 years ago and I was working as a nurse in a care of the elderly ward. One man, who had a DNAR on his notes was clearly about to die, and his daughter had been given 'the call'. She was with him for a couple of hours and he was clearly in the death throes, Cheyne- Stoking, but keeping coming back. She was clearly distraught and said to him, 'Oh please dad -just let go'. I momentarily considered sending her out of the room and holding a pillow over his face, but didn't have it in me. He died about 15 mins later.

I sometimes used to think about if it was right to allow them both to undergo that additional 15 mins of torment...

How sad. :(

I could never kill anyone. I wouldn't be able to kill an animal, let alone a human being. I have a hard time killing insects!
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Yes I could do and have quite an extensive list to work through.
    Just the law stopping me. Or rather the punishment acting as a deterrent as it is meant to do.

Or tough having said that, murdering anyone doesn't get the retribution that is needs as much as torturing would. With murder they are just dead whereas I would like them to know I did it for what they did.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I could kill another person in certain extreme circumstances. If some nutter was trying to kill me I reckon I might be able to, but then that might technically not be murder. The jury, if it even got that far, could very well let me off because of extenuating circumstances.

I think I could kill in a war too, maybe even going against the human rights conventions of a war if I captured someone who killed my friends or family. People might not be too bothered about that unless I ended up on the losing side.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nan could. She was always saying: "I could murder a cuppa tea."
  • taffboy 13taffboy 13 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Spending the rest of my life inside a prison is enough of a deterrent for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    How sad. :(

I could never kill anyone. I wouldn't be able to kill an animal, let alone a human being. I have a hard time killing insects!

Yeah, total no-win scenario. Feel bad for letting them suffer, but know I could not live with myself had I 'done the deed'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I capable of it? Possibly.
    Would I break the law? Absolutely not.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I could. But then I imagine there are a lot of people currently doing time for murder who would have answered the same way until it actually happened.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis CK once said, "If there was no law against murder then there would be SO MUCH MURDER."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Louis CK once said, "If there was no law against murder then there would be SO MUCH MURDER."

I absolutely disagree with that. As I said in the case I've mentioned I had good reason to murder the person I thought about killing -the cessation of pain. However, I think it is imprinted on us not to harm others unless they are an imminent threat to us.

Basically, I think the vast majority of people are quite nice, really, and don't want to harm others.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Once was enough.