John Bishops Australia

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
Forum Member
✭✭
Enjoying the views from Australia in a first of three episodes, Its on BBC One now if you want to watch it :)

Comments

• Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the program. The scenery is magnificent, but I found it vaguely disconcerting that I could understand an Aboriginal girl better than Mr B!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this programme - JB cracks me up and his chat with Adam Hills was hysterical, still laughing now thinking about it :D
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Loved this programme - JB cracks me up and his chat with Adam Hills was hysterical, still laughing now thinking about it :D

Yeah Adam Hill is always funny :D
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this - his Scouse accent is not as pronounced as it is when he is on stage.so able to understand it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    At the beginning of the programme, all I can remember of the words is 'oh oh oh' but I know it's a recognisable song.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    John Bishop is such an attractive man both now and in the pictures from 1992.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love John Bishop, he brings a smile to my face just to be in his company
    I thought the intro to this programme dragged a bit with the extended scene setting and family, I just wanted him to get on with it
    The BBC seem to be repeating the first episode tonight, and tomorrow night
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the prog and JB has aged really well.

Loved the bit with the koalas.

Why does every person from Liverpool sound like they have loose false teeth. Do Liverpudlian babies talk like that ? Most peculiar.
  • stewbossstewboss Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Captain Cook wasn't from Middlesbrough. It didn't exist then. He came from the village of Marton.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I surprised he didn't visit Liverpool. It didn't seem that far off the start of the route, or he could have had a quick visit before starting.

I liked it when he was talking to the beautiful Aboriginal actress and the cannon went of. I shit myself. Can't imagine how they felt :D
    Forum Member
    Some nice scenery again tonight. Especially the island.

I wanted to know if it had any life in it being a self contained rain made lake.
  • Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I was as surprised as John Bishop was when he was talking to the 'Crocodile Conservationist'
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Spanner82 wrote: »
    I think I was as surprised as John Bishop was when he was talking to the 'Crocodile Conservationist'

Yes, me too. I found the whole thing very unnerving and not really sure I could get my head round it.
  • avanneavanne Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the second episode even more than the first, as John's own story had started to feel more integrated, rather than like it was fighting against the Australia backdrop for attention.

The was loads of really interesting stuff in this, lots of twists and turns. The crocodile conservation thing was weird - to see someone rescue & care for crocodiles who had been wild, yet farm and kill those who had known no other life than to be bred for handbags. At the end of the day, we know there is a market in crocodile skin, and I would rather it was fed by someone like this guy, than people just going round shooting them on sight.

It was interesting to see him telling jokes about heading north into '6 finger city' when he did his comedy routine in Brisbane, & then find himself in Rockhampton, which I really did feel had a touch of 'Deliverance' about it.

I really liked that he was able to step back and not judge people's lifestyles because he found them odd or unsettling. The world is made up of a lot of different kinds of people, and that's a good attitude for any traveller.

Overall I found it funny, moving, inspiring and experienced a terrific range of emotions in an hour of watching. Really looking forward to next week.
    Forum Member
    Spanner82 wrote: »
    Me too. The first part of the interview was him 'rescuing' problem crocs so that they didn't kill any locals or get killed by them.

When he said about using a harpoon - that raised an eyebrow. I never saw Steve Irwin use a harpoon.

Then the second part about skin harvesting was strange.

I wonder if he also sold the meat. Croc meat is becoming popular as one of the unusual meats you can buy.

It would seem a waste to breed them just for the skin, especially when he said that one croc could only make one small handbag or purse.
    Forum Member
    Didn't seem to get much coverage on here this series.

Lots of nice views and interesting topics of conversation.

I wonder if a fourth episode could have been done to have him cover a bit of the Gold Coast and their preperations for the Commonwealth Games

and also possibly taking his family over to visit Tom's grave.
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught part of the second episode on Tuesday night when John visited Fraser Island.
    He walked to the edge of a cliff and showed us an Australian 'danger' sign - a small pictorial sign set into the top of the cliff showing someone falling off a cliff with the words 'Cliff edge' on it. John then had a little 'rant' about how in Britain there would be signs everywhere and a barrier, whereas in Oz the attitude is 'if you fall off, mate, it's your own fault. You're a dlckhead'. :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    I remember that and it is pretty true.

I'm surprised the white cliffs of dover aren't cordened off :p

I do think there are samaritans hanging about incase they see people standing at the edge :-/