The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
Hello!

I know there were posts in tlast year's thread but I thought it best if we had a new thread for the new year!

Here is the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtk3QgKEng

I'mk so excited! :D

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello!

I know there were posts in tlast year's thread but I thought it best if we had a new thread for the new year!

Here is the trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtk3QgKEng

I'mk so excited! :D

Let's hope it does not get hidden away in the Reality forum like they did with Masterchef.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Let's hope it does not get hidden away in the Reality forum like they did with Masterchef.

It probably will :( Am I aslone in thinking GBBO should have it's own subforum? It's a huge hit, and now it's on BBC1 it'll be a ratings winner. It is one of the biggest programs not just on BBC but on all of UK TV!
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would show some of the selection process so we can get some idea of how skilled the participants are and also have a laugh at the disasters of the rejects. MC Australia, and the other non-UK shows, do this really well.

After all, if this show was only about great baking, then it could simply show Mary and Paul doing everything, and very boring that would be too.
    Forum Member
    I wish they would show some of the selection process so we can get some idea of how skilled the participants are and also have a laugh at the disasters of the rejects. MC Australia, and the other non-UK shows, do this really well.

After all, if this show was only about great baking, then it could simply show Mary and Paul doing everything, and very boring that would be too.

I see what you mean, it qould be a nice run up to the proper competition as well.

I wish we had an introduction show, where we'd have Mary and Paul in the tent with Sue and Mel, and we had VTs about all the bakers, and what was to come from the series, and some clips of the selection process, and that would really get everyone in the Bake Off mood, a week or so before the first competitive week. The GBBO is a big show now, and so a show like that would really fit the show I think.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would show some of the selection process so we can get some idea of how skilled the participants are and also have a laugh at the disasters of the rejects. MC Australia, and the other non-UK shows, do this really well. .

Wouldn't that be taking the programme down the X Factor/BGT "let's play out the bad attempts by the bakers so that the viewers can mock & laugh at them" route? No thanks
    Forum Member
    I really want Gbbo to have its own subforum!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and also have a laugh at the disasters of the rejects.
    Fair enough like, I'm sure people would watch that, but that exactly why I don't want them to do 'qualifying rounds' thing. GBBO doesn't need to descend to the standard reality show 'let's laugh at the deluded people who think they are talented' schtick. It's something I find rather unpleasant. You wouldn't laugh at someone with serious issues normally, why is it OK to do so now?

It's GBBO, not 'Britain's Got Talent'. One of the major selling points of GBBO, up to this point anyway, was that it was a 'nice' show where people got on and even possibly liked each other, with no pointing and laughing. It didn't have that cruel and somewhat arrogant side to it. I'd hate to see it slide down that particular slippery slope.

If they wanted to do say a two-parter 'before the show proper' thing - like the University Challenge background show if anyone saw that - then maybe fair enough but I really don't think it needs the whole 'freak show' aspect of reality TV, thanks.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Reality! did they?

They won't do that with GBBO. It would be sacrilege
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No this is the sort of thing that is reserved for xfactor etc,

The Bake off is better than that.

I'm so happy it's back, I watch almost no TV these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reality! did they?

They won't do that with GBBO. It would be sacrilege
    Yews they did do that. Very annoying too as the Reality forum is one place that I would never normally wish to visit.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    No this is the sort of thing that is reserved for xfactor etc,

The Bake off is better than that.

I'm so happy it's back, I watch almost no TV these days.
    Well it may as well be in the reality forum as it is getting to be a little like Xfactor ect.

we will have the blokey bloke who is a bit ham fisted

the glam young girl (student blogger) who never thinks her bake is good enough

the working mum with high flying responsible job

the WI middle aged woman whos bakes are traditional

the off the wall baker whos bakes look spectacular but will not have the 'flavours'

the baker who has the 'flavours' but the bakes look like kids work

the older man who loves baking but doesnt quite get the bake right

the young bloke who has given up his job to make a career from baking

the full time mum who loves baking for and with her kids

the man/woman always using exotic spices and flavours in bakes like a victoria sponge just to spice it up and just because they can

need I go on

I would really just like to see bakers who are not wanting anything more than to be a good baker with out blogging websites or wanting to make a career out of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    need I go on

I would really just like to see bakers who are not wanting anything more than to be a good baker with out blogging websites or wanting to make a career out of it

That rules out all the finalists of the last series then and probably all the people who entered.

You did not include the professionally qualified psychologist who could use her skills to manipulate the judges and the professional designer who continued using her professional skills in the contest.

I liked all the finalist but don't like just one being picked on.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want a "let's laugh at the less skilled entrants" either.
    I think that would be horrible, and turn it into an x factor-like show (a show, like all the other 'talent' shows, I despise by the way)
    But I'm glad GBBO is back. I can't wait ! :D
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My "lets laugh at the less skilled entrants" line was not meant in any way to suggest laughing at "someone with serious issues". It is unlikely that that sort of content would be broadcast anyway. I referred to MCAustralia where they have qualifying rounds showing both the finalists and lots of others, and we get to see why the finalists are chosen. I enjoy those rounds and I think GBBO would be more interesting with them in. That's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing why a finalist is chosen is fine (as in seeing what the produced), but seeing why others failed doesn't fit with the more cosy nature of GBBO (ot's that very nature that sets it apart from the likes of XF and BGT), It's simply not needed in my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My "lets laugh at the less skilled entrants" line was not meant in any way to suggest laughing at "someone with serious issues". It is unlikely that that sort of content would be broadcast anyway. I referred to MCAustralia where they have qualifying rounds showing both the finalists and lots of others, and we get to see why the finalists are chosen. I enjoy those rounds and I think GBBO would be more interesting with them in. That's all.

I am sure they could show some of the selection with only those who give permission identified, others could be not identified (i.e. no faces). It might encourage more to enter (or it might put people off!).
  • EmmsEmms Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the whole, I think I'd prefer not to have an 'auditions' type show, although i can see why some aspects of it might be interesting. I'd be concerned though, that it might encourage more '5 minutes of fame' applicants who would be 'whacky' or 'zany' and not have any desire to bake and I think that would spoil it.

I don't mind the idea of something along the lines of the University Challenge background show that jonbwfc mentioned - if they only showed us the auditioning process for the contestants that had been selected already, so that their baking abilities had already been established. That would be interesting I think, but i suppose it might give too much away for future hopeful contestants
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there isn't a contestant this year that divides opinion as much as Ruby did last year

Hopefully most of the comments will be about the baking
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <snip>

need I go on?

Good post.

That's one of the reasons I stopped watching last year having been with it from first ever show. There's always going to be an element of casting and editing-manipulation with these shows, but it just got too formulaic and 'emotional' last year. For me, anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it may as well be in the reality forum as it is getting to be a little like Xfactor ect.

we will have the blokey bloke who is a bit ham fisted

the glam young girl (student blogger) who never thinks her bake is good enough

the working mum with high flying responsible job

the WI middle aged woman whos bakes are traditional

the off the wall baker whos bakes look spectacular but will not have the 'flavours'

the baker who has the 'flavours' but the bakes look like kids work

the older man who loves baking but doesnt quite get the bake right

the young bloke who has given up his job to make a career from baking

the full time mum who loves baking for and with her kids

the man/woman always using exotic spices and flavours in bakes like a victoria sponge just to spice it up and just because they can

need I go on

You've just done a precis of last years contestants!

A lot of people blog about their hobbies and baking blogs are one of the most popular so it is not unusual that a lot of the contestants will have one. Also the younger ones who are very passionate about baking will have more of a desire to make it their career.

Which demographic do you feel has been missed out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there isn't a contestant this year that divides opinion as much as Ruby did last year

If the tabloids and people on place like this forum want to find a contestant to 'divide opinion' then they will do so.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Some people/newspapers want controversy and conflict. If none exists, they will manufacture it. Best to ignore them, at least as much as you can.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, we definitely want a sub forum for bake off, especially now that his has a second show on BBC2. I've requested one from the Mods using this form.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/contact/?contact_type=forum#~oLkH8yLOlGzXaA

Perhaps if enough of us contact them?
    Forum Member
    fern3 wrote: »
    I agree, we definitely want a sub forum for bake off, especially now that his has a second show on BBC2. I've requested one from the Mods using this form.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/contact/?contact_type=forum#~oLkH8yLOlGzXaA

Perhaps if enough of us contact them?

Done! We need as many as possible.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. I hope they don't have a pretentious me, me, me whinger who dominates the whole prog. Or at least I hope they don't edit the GBBO to make it seem that way. Big fail with the edit last year. :(