Options

Sky Movies

Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Fancied watching a film tonight, went straight to on demand.
Does everyone do this? Is there any point in the sky movies channels clogging up the channel list?

Comments

• Options
    Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Fancied watching a film tonight, went straight to on demand.
    Does everyone do this? Is there any point in the sky movies channels clogging up the channel list?

No, not everyone has superfast broadband, my friend's broadband speed is less than 2 meg. Which makes on demand a real chore.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Actually i've noticed that since they introduced Rent and Buy many films are now behind a pay wall and not just On Demand.

I'm sure the films are not available as long as they used to be before they brought in the new setup.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not everyone has superfast broadband, my friend's broadband speed is less than 2 meg. Which makes on demand a real chore.

Yeah, they still serve a purpose for those with poor broadband connections. The linear movie channels might become obsolete in a few years, but I imagine the Box Office channels will go first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film I'm watching (Philomena) didn't download. Straight on. Are there only a few that do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, they still serve a purpose for those with poor broadband connections. The linear movie channels might become obsolete in a few years, but I imagine the Box Office channels will go first.

I assume the other limitation for some people, is their broadband download limit.

For example a 2 hour HD film is about 4 gig. If your broadband allowance is 40 gig a month, then you can download around 8-9 films a month before you hit your limit.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Film I'm watching (Philomena) didn't download. Straight on. Are there only a few that do this?
    Yep, some are downloaded to your box automatically and therefore are instantly available.
    I think most, if not all, are in the Showcase section.
    You can tell these by the icon next to the name. (Circle with arrow inside it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you?
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I assume the other limitation for some people, is their broadband download limit.

For example a 2 hour HD film is about 4 gig. If your broadband allowance is 40 gig a month, then you can download around 8-9 films a month before you hit your limit.

Another reason for Sky subscribers to move their BB to Sky with no caps rather than BT or others who still only have a 40gb cap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you?

The only thing I download via On demand is TV Boxsets, but I have BT infinity 2 and unlimited download
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Another reason for Sky subscribers to move their BB to Sky with no caps rather than BT or others who still only have a 40gb cap.

I am on bt and have no cap...
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on Virgin Broadband uncapped but have yet to try it with Sky. But me and my flatmate must easily download 50+ Gb a month. I often down download programmes in HD from the iPlayer with little to no intention of watching and everything on Youtube is either 720p or 1080p.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    I'm on Virgin Broadband uncapped but have yet to try it with Sky. But me and my flatmate must easily download 50+ Gb a month. I often down download programmes in HD from the iPlayer with little to no intention of watching and everything on Youtube is either 720p or 1080p.

Our house eats through 400GB a month

(However that includes general usage, on demand, as well as uploading and downloading uncompressed video for work and hosting a small web server)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on bt and have no cap...

But many with BT do.

Their current 'best evef' Summer deal advert has usage limits and is vastly more expensive than other unlimited ISPs.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    But many with BT do.

Their current 'best evef' Summer deal advert has usage limits and is vastly more expensive than other unlimited ISPs.

Not with some of my family, if you negotiate well you can get uncapped.

Bit like Sky's retention deals
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Not with some of my family, if you negotiate well you can get uncapped.

Bit like Sky's retention deals

But people don't do that, they go for the best price, some are even unaware they have a cap.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im with BT Infinity and don't have any monthly caps.
    Some months I can use almost 40GB with downloading music now and again, Watching Netflix at lest once or twice a week and listening to internet radio now and again. I also now again watch Youtube.
    On Demand TV from BT don't count towards any monthly cap. if you are on a monthly cap package.

Darren