Kindle. Has anybody got one?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    £59 not £100, also I can buy a book for it on a matter of seconds having already got to read the first chapter or so for free to see if I like it which seems much easier to me.

The Paperwhite is £109, comes with a backlight built in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. That is one disadvantage to the Kindle, in that you have to be careful not to damage the relatively delicate screen, while you can bend a book and abuse it yet still read it.

Try giving Kindle's customer services a call and see what they say. Don't say you've broken it (you don't know what happened despite suspicions), just tell them the symptoms. They might (but might not and well within their rights not to, so don't get too disappointed) offer you a discount on a new one. I've heard of some tales of people having broken their Kindles getting offers on replacements. They might also be able to help you fix it if your suspicions aren't correct and the problem is something solvable at your end.

Oh, it seems that the basic Kindle has a £10 off offer only applicable for today, which you might be interested in.

Thanks. I'll phone them and give it a shot - there's no harm! I know a few people who have been given replacement Kindles when theirs broke but all of those Kindles broke within the first year whereas mine must be nearly three years old.

While I didn't break it, it's my own fault for leaving it someone with the leather cover open. Oh well - I'm lucky that I can buy a new Kindle fairly easily without having to worry about the cost. Imagine if I couldn't afford to buy one for several months :eek: That would be awful.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad I held out for a few days. I have ordered today in the special £59 deal.

Woooooooooooooooo !

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    The Paperwhite is £109, comes with a backlight built in.

The poster wasn't specifically mentioning the paperwhite which is why I said you can pick one up for £59, no need to spend almost double that for a back light.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kindle repairs:

http://www.reotech.co.uk/repair-services/kindle/

they also sell reconditioned K3s (kindle keyboard) with the free web access, no longer available from Amazon.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been charging my kindle since 8.15 this morning and its still not charged. Is this normal?
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Been charging my kindle since 8.15 this morning and its still not charged. Is this normal?

Are you charging through your computer or through the mains?

Mine usually recharges in an hour or two, but is quicker through the mains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Are you charging through your computer or through the mains?

Mine usually recharges in an hour or two, but is quicker through the mains.

Through the computer. Im using the cable I use for my mobile. When It says USB Drive mode and shows that image of USB plug on the kindle. Does that mean its charging because through the mains it doesn't show it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Through the computer. Im using the cable I use for my mobile. When It says USB Drive mode and shows that image of USB plug on the kindle. Does that mean its charging because through the mains it doesn't show it.

It should mean that it is charging - but it might be showing merely that it is connected! I would suggest trying through the mains if possible, as it has been said to be a more reliable method of charging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should mean that it is charging - but it might be showing merely that it is connected! I would suggest trying through the mains if possible, as it has been said to be a more reliable method of charging.

I'll try it through mains. So the orange light should turn green when charged?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try it through mains. So the orange light should turn green when charged?

Yes, it should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it should.

Well I've been charging it through mains and its not moved. Its still where it was which is a bit from the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've been charging it through mains and its not moved. Its still where it was which is a bit from the end.

Sounds as though you may have fault. Have you looked on the Kindle Users Forum http://www.kuforum.co.uk/ for a possible solution?

You may need to do a reset...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds as though you may have fault. Have you looked on the Kindle Users Forum http://www.kuforum.co.uk/ for a possible solution?

You may need to do a reset...

If I reset I'd lose all my books including the one currently reading. I've found my kindle cable so im using that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I reset I'd lose all my books including the one currently reading. I've found my kindle cable so im using that.

I hope you have better luck with using the correct cable - I should have suggested it earler.

On the assumption that all of your books have been bought through Amazon, or converted by them, your books should be on your Amazon account and therefore able to be downloaded again, or may be on your PC. Something to avoid if possible though, I agree. I always complained if an IT expert (which I am not!) ever said to me that the only answer to a problem was to do a reset or restore from backup.
  • Options
    MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your Kindle will reset but all of your books remain in your amazon account. You would just download them again by sending them to your Kindle from your Amazon account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charging can be checked by occasionally removing the cable and seeing if the battery level indicator looks "fuller". if it seems not to be charging then try device reset (NOT factory reset, note!)

replacement kindle leads at maplin. half the price charged by argos !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

device reset leaves all your books on the device.

safest way is hold the power slider for at least 20 seconds. that always works even if the kindle is frozen. and this way you cant do the factory reset by mistake !
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    charging can be checked by occasionally removing the cable and seeing if the battery level indicator looks "fuller". if it seems not to be charging then try device reset (NOT factory reset, note!)

replacement kindle leads at maplin. half the price charged by argos !

It's a micro-USB lead, identical to what's used on many non-iOS mobile phones. There's nothing special about the Kindle charger connection.

While I'm here, is there a list of borrowable books for the UK Kindle anywhere? I just happened to read about this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Girl-Would-King-ebook/dp/B009J7DEAS/

And for the first time saw that there was the option to borrow it, as I am a Prime user on Amazon. I browse a lot of Kindle books but that's the first time I've actually seen the option so either it's a small list of books that can be borrowed or I'm just unlucky. Anyway. Saved myself a couple of quid.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a micro-USB lead, identical to what's used on many non-iOS mobile phones. There's nothing special about the Kindle charger connection.

While I'm here, is there a list of borrowable books for the UK Kindle anywhere? I just happened to read about this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Girl-Would-King-ebook/dp/B009J7DEAS/

And for the first time saw that there was the option to borrow it, as I am a Prime user on Amazon. I browse a lot of Kindle books but that's the first time I've actually seen the option so either it's a small list of books that can be borrowed or I'm just unlucky. Anyway. Saved myself a couple of quid.

I use my phone charger to charge my kindle. You don't have to pay a fortune for a micro usb cable. I bought ont last week for £1.09 from amazon and it works just as well as any of the more expensive ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    device reset leaves all your books on the device.

safest way is hold the power slider for at least 20 seconds. that always works even if the kindle is frozen. and this way you cant do the factory reset by mistake !

I did what you said and its now charged fully so thank you and everyone else who offered advice. much appreciated.