Three set to shake up payg market with new '321' Tariff

2»

Comments

• soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    When i se it i will beleive it.
    Im currently on a three sim only 1 month £15 sim only deal 9 that hasnt been available for quite some time ) , and for my £15 i get:

200 minutes
    500 texts
    and 2GB of data.
    The reason why im still on that old deal is the 2GB of data ( internet max) allows tethering, and it was originally sold to me as the ability to use your phone as an internet modem to connect a laptop when out and about.

Ive just had a quick look here http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY&priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY and there is no sign of this new deal there.

To be honest, with the deals announced today (and I've already signed up so they ARE available) that is no longer a great deal.

For £18 a month (£15 if I was prepared to accept a twelve month contract as opposed to a rolling monthly one) I have 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 3 to 3 minutes and truely unlimited data ... including tethering. If you have a three store near you I suggest calling in tomorrow and transferring across.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All you can eat ( unlimited data) @ £15 per month sim only PAYG still exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    When i se it i will beleive it.
    Im currently on a three sim only 1 month £15 sim only deal 9 that hasnt been available for quite some time ) , and for my £15 i get:

200 minutes
    500 texts
    and 2GB of data.
    The reason why im still on that old deal is the 2GB of data ( internet max) allows tethering, and it was originally sold to me as the ability to use your phone as an internet modem to connect a laptop when out and about.

Ive just had a quick look here http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY&priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY and there is no sign of this new deal there.

You need to switch to the All In One £15 add on.

There's 300 minutes and 3000 texts as well as unlimited data.

That's better value for your £15. It's not a one month rolling contract.

One question. Can you pay cash with these rolling 1 month contracts or do you need to use your debit card?

I am a heavy internet user but a light telephone and text user.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    That's even better value for money than Talkmobile Essentials. If my backup phone was 3G enabled I would consider switching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    If they are charging by the megabyte, I don't see why they wouldn't allow tethering.

But keep an eye on the other networks, and especially the MVNOs like Tesco and Lebara. They are going to lose a lot of custom unless they cut prices....

Working it out. With Tesco PAYG you would need to pay £20 which would take you 12 days internet use as there are 8 days of free data re: the free credit from your triple credit. It will cost £5 per day regardless of whether you use 8.25 mb of data or the maximum 250MB where you are cut off no matter what. You will use £5 per day with Tesco mobile after playing a youtube clip or 2 or listening to the internet radio for half an hour.

Then you would need to buy a £7.50 data bundle for 1Gb of data which could last 6 days. That gets used up before using the £40 extra credit re: the triple credit.

So 18 days use comes to £27.50. Not bad you would think. But the other 10 to 13 days of the month would cost you an extra £50 to £65 depending on the length of the month. So your grand total is between £77.50 and £92.50.

This is not accounting for the cost of telephone calls or text. But you can get 150 minutes of free calls by choosing the free calls bundle.

A lot of money to pay for using Tesco's mobile phone services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ted Rogers plan is intended for light users.

It could cost you £80+ per month if you use the plan for heavy internet surfing.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Can you top up a fiver via a debit card online or over the phone?

You can too up £5 on line on on the phone.
    pay as you go doesn't allow tethering.

You can sign up to the one plan sim only for £15 per month which gives 2,000 mins, 5000 texts, 5000 3 to 3 mins, unlimited data including tethering.

Call the sales team to get that deal if you want tethering

I have used a PAYG sim for occasional tethering for at least 3 years. It has never been an issue with 3 so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally switched my little Nokia from Tesco to 3's all in one £15 add on.

I have no regrets as that is all you can eat data, 300 minutes calls and 3000 texts. Not that I will be using anywhere near 5 hours airtime to make telephone calls.

With tesco mobile I was constantly topping up to make sure I had enough to cover the internet for the rest of the month after my bonus period ended. £5 per day (albeit not every day of the month) is a lot of money when you use the internet extensively.

I don't have to worry about running out of credit or being cut off when I've used up 250 mb in a single day.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    The Ted Rogers plan is intended for light users.

It could cost you £80+ per month if you use the plan for heavy internet surfing.

I love this! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this! :D

I never saw Dusty bin though.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    You can too up £5 on line on on the phone.

I have used a PAYG sim for occasional tethering for at least 3 years. It has never been an issue with 3 so far.

2 months ago I was in middle of nowhere and wanted to tether an iPad onto my missus' iPhone that is on a 3 contract with 500 mb/month data, since 3's 1 bar signal was still giving great data speed. The connection was instantly blocked. Could have bought a tethering bolt on but up to 48 hours to activate it, and would be auto renewing. Useless!
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am also on pay as you go and tether just fine. Could have something to do with I was previously on 24 month contracts the one plan... who knows.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is on a 3 contract with 500 mb/month data, since 3's 1 bar signal was still giving great data speed. The connection was instantly blocked
    I am also on pay as you go and tether just fine.

I was under the impression that you could only tether using '3' on the one plan?. Has this changed?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that you could only tether using '3' on the one plan?. Has this changed?

It depends on the plan you are on. I used to be able to tether on my 2.5 gig allowance plan. I can still tether on The One Plan sim only. However if you are on a contract or PAYG plan that doesn't include tethering then you'll get the block page.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »

Not really. If you have AYCE data then tethering is only allowed on The One Plan - tethering on anything else (contract plans with AYCE data, the All in One add-on on PAYG) is a breach of the terms and conditions. You may get away with it for a while if you're not on The One Plan, but you risk the block page.

The rule of thumb is (or at least was) that, as far as the terms go, for tethering; if you have a limit they'd usually look the other way, if you have AYCE then One Plan only.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, Thanks. It seems I am on the right plan then (one plan) for what I need, with all of this talk of tethering on other packages I was just a bit miffed if I could have got tethering on the £12.90 "AYCE Ultimate Sim 200" rolling 1 month plan, rather than currently paying £18 for the One Plan, as I don't use many minutes and texts, I only need data + tethering.

However it seems that the £18 One Plan is the only tariff where I can get unlimited data and still be assured of tethering.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this true pay as you go, or do you still have to top up monthly? Eg. could I put £10 on it, then use that £10 over say a year? As I'd only want one for emergency use on my tablet when broadband wifi is down.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is true pay as you go
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Is this true pay as you go, or do you still have to top up monthly? Eg. could I put £10 on it, then use that £10 over say a year? As I'd only want one for emergency use on my tablet when broadband wifi is down.
    buglawton wrote: »
    It is true pay as you go

Just make sure you check about the deactivation period. If you don't use a PAYG sim card for a certain period of time it will automatically get disconnected.

You may have to make a call once every 3 or 6 months to keep it alive.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three will start doing adverts for their new 321 tariff tonight with an advert for the new tariff. you can see it here. Has a dog (a Pug called Mabel) instead of a horse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbWhQE9GXQo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUMO1JbPBwT_oEQ29MspKWJw

The primary phase of the initiative will only last until the end of the month, although the second part of the campaign will pick up in November for the build-up to Christmas.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/26230/Three_kicks_off_new_pay-as-you-go_campaign.aspx#sthash.2zGdXkkh.dpuf
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Three will start doing adverts for their new 321 tariff tonight with an advert for the new tariff. you can see it here. Has a dog (a Pug called Mabel) instead of a horse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbWhQE9GXQo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUMO1JbPBwT_oEQ29MspKWJw

The primary phase of the initiative will only last until the end of the month, although the second part of the campaign will pick up in November for the build-up to Christmas.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/26230/Three_kicks_off_new_pay-as-you-go_campaign.aspx#sthash.2zGdXkkh.dpuf

The second part of the marketing campaign contains the dog and the pony from last year apparently.

Someone in Threes marketing department must love animals....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The second part of the marketing campaign contains the dog and the pony from last year apparently.

Someone in Threes marketing department must love animals....

Seems to be in fashion as O2 have their "Be more dog" promotion with a cat and some dogs. Vodafone have Bee's :D

On the other hand EE have Kevin Bacon :eek:
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Seems to be in fashion as O2 have their "Be more dog" promotion with a cat and some dogs. Vodafone have Bee's :D

On the other hand EE have Kevin Bacon :eek:

So pigs...?

Seems all the networks love animals! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    So pigs...?

Seems all the networks love animals! :D

Yeah good point :D
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard they are dying out.:D