Options

Android 4.3 now rolling out for UK Samsung Galaxy S4s

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't be going to 4.3 just yet anyway, the update has been suspended for s3s.

Why is this? Issues?

I know 2 other people with an S3, one of which on the same network as mine and they have 4.3 with no problems but I'm still waiting. I'm stil on 4.1.2.

I'm not desperate for 4.3 as not much has changed really, its 4.4 I'm looking forward to if it eventually comes to the S3.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically has caused a lot of issues with people's phones. Mainly Vodafone Ireland users.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprising considering they got the update ages before even the unbranded release
  • Options
    42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Nothing for my S4 on O2 yet.

My S4 updated to 4.3 on Tesco Mobile (O2) just under a week ago.

Have you connected to a WiFi network and checked system update?
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My S4 updated to 4.3 on Tesco Mobile (O2) just under a week ago.

Have you connected to a WiFi network and checked system update?

I check several times a day through a wifi network and it always says the latest software is installed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    My S4 on Three still isn't updating either.

I wouldn't mind so much except that the Three presence doesn't seem particularly invasive, so I'd have thought they'd have got it done long before the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I updated my S3 to 4.3 (T-Mobile) and it is now virtually useless, hundreds of people are complaining on the Samsung FB pages, but there has been no official response from Samsung UK.

Basically the lock & home buttons have stopped working, or when they do it takes up to 10 secs to respond. Battery life has dropped by half, apps freeze and crash all the time, the whole phone is slow. there is other stuff as well. Apparently there are some S4 users who are experiencing the same issues. Its been like this a week and no news on a fix as yet
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i installed the official update on my s4 (o2) around the 1st nov and on the 5th (my birthday :( ) the little fugger just turned itself off and refused to come back on.
    i tried multipl chargers and even a different battery and all the various button combos suggested to restart it but nada - it has been with CPW ever since! :(:(:(
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobDog wrote: »
    I updated my S3 to 4.3 (T-Mobile) and it is now virtually useless, hundreds of people are complaining on the Samsung FB pages, but there has been no official response from Samsung UK.

Basically the lock & home buttons have stopped working, or when they do it takes up to 10 secs to respond. Battery life has dropped by half, apps freeze and crash all the time, the whole phone is slow. there is other stuff as well. Apparently there are some S4 users who are experiencing the same issues. Its been like this a week and no news on a fix as yet

I would try a factory reset as that's not normal and mine is ok, admittedly it' not t-mobile branded, it could be a dodby / conflicting app or something causing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that. As I say I know a few people with factory reset 4.3 S3's and they all work fine.

As for those desperate to update - if you want it now and can't be bothered to wait for Samsung to re-release it, then go download it yourself from samfirmware.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I did a factory reset and restore through Kies but it hasnt fixed it. If anything the lock/home button responses are worse. However its not all bad for me. I logged a call with Samsung complaining about it and they are going to replace the phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an item on the Sky News website about this today.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Ridiculous when you think a phone like the Moto G costs just £135 and is already on 4.3 and guaranteed to have KitKat 4.4 in January 2014.

I have a feeling Sammy and Google are no longer the best of friends...;)
  • Options
    tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Ridiculous when you think a phone like the Moto G costs just £135 and is already on 4.3 and guaranteed to have KitKat 4.4 in January 2014.

I have a feeling Sammy and Google are no longer the best of friends...;)

That's because the version on Moto G is a vanilla version of the OS and Motorola is owned by Google

Atleast they didn't rename the company as Moogle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know. But the phones are still sold on the same market. The ridiculous 'customisation' of Android imo is actually holding back the updates far too much. Android is a totally user-customisable platform anyway so I have no idea why the manufacturers cloud the issue by changing it to the detriment of both speed of updates and in many cases performance.

It's just embarrassing that a phone costing £100s more than the Moto G can be so far behind it in OS terms.
  • Options
    tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I know. But the phones are still sold on the same market. The ridiculous 'customisation' of Android imo is actually holding back the updates far too much. Android is a totally user-customisable platform anyway so I have no idea why the manufacturers cloud the issue by changing it to the detriment of both speed of updates and in many cases performance.

The different manufactuers have to present a "unique" product to the consumers and they do it by "tweaking" the software since most the unlerlying hardware is almost the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tarzion wrote: »
    The different manufactuers have to present a "unique" product to the consumers and they do it by "tweaking" the software since most the unlerlying hardware is almost the same.

But it's to the detriment of the ongoing/future experience imo. But I guess that's for another thread :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tarzion wrote: »
    That's because the version on Moto G is a vanilla version of the OS and Motorola is owned by Google

Atleast they didn't rename the company as Moogle

Which would make the Google edition Samsung phones a valid comparison.
  • Options
    pongobillypongobilly Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    well updated my s3 to 4.3 on virgin, i had no end of problems after the update, not recieving text messages or calls and various other bugs so i rang virgin and they advised to back up and do a factory reset, i did the reset and the problems went away only to be replaced by different problems such as the unlocking problems and battery problems and a few other bugs, i get a feeling if i ring them back they will want to have it for repair, not what i want to do really as the phone wasnt broken before the update, i have noticed that the unlocking problem is worse when the notification light is flashing, i wouldnt mind but i havent had thephone a year yet
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol what a cock-up.
  • Options
    planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard from two friends with s3's that were burnt with the 4.3 update. Both went back to 4.2.1 (it is possible, just more techie).

Meanwhile the S4 has been fine on 4.3

I think the issue is ram - and samsung's bloatware. The S3 (I9300) has1GB whilst the S4 (I9505) has 2GB.

If you do have 4.3 I suggest disabling anything you can to free up memory.
  • Options
    lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one still with no update? On 3...