PAL DVD-convert to NTSC.

PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,196
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll post here but mods please move to PC forums if deemed appropriate. A friend who plays in an amateur band has given me a dvd of one of their performances. It's encoded in PAL and he's asking for an NTSC copy to send to the US. I use Nero and I could just rip the film,re-encode it to NTSC and then burn it back to a disc,but ideally I'd like to find a way to convert it whilst keeping the existing menu structure in place. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    DVD Shrink will do what you ask.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    DVD Shrink will do what you ask.

Are you sure ? afaik DVDshrink will merely recode the original content using a lower bitrate to reduce it's final size. It won't resize the frame nor change the frame rate.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Are you sure ? afaik DVDshrink will merely recode the original content using a lower bitrate to reduce it's final size. It won't resize the frame nor change the frame rate.

Actually now you mention it, I don't think I am sure :o
    I've done it before many years ago, but as I don't copy DVDs anymore these days what was once on my PC is no more.
    I have just tried DVD Shrink and your correct, you can remove the region code, but cannot change the frame rate.

The only other thing I can think of right now for the OP is to rip the disc using Nero, recode into NTSC and create a DVD from scratch and make new menus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I'll post here but mods please move to PC forums if deemed appropriate. A friend who plays in an amateur band has given me a dvd of one of their performances. It's encoded in PAL and he's asking for an NTSC copy to send to the US. I use Nero and I could just rip the film,re-encode it to NTSC and then burn it back to a disc,but ideally I'd like to find a way to convert it whilst keeping the existing menu structure in place. Anyone got any ideas?

The original will play on your friends PC in the US, it's only stand alone players that won't work. If the PC has hdmi out then that should also work with a US TV.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    The only other thing I can think of right now for the OP is to rip the disc using Nero, recode into NTSC and create a DVD from scratch and make new menus.

I can do that of course it's just that a straight conversion would obviously be easier than trying to re-create the menus.
    The original will play on your friends PC in the US, it's only stand alone players that won't work. If the PC has hdmi out then that should also work with a US TV.

No idea of what equipment the person it's intended for has but thanks for the info.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVD shrink will do the job, a few years ago I used to buy films from the States and I'd 'shrink' and burn to a DVD so I could use them in the UK. I've done the same in reverse and friends in the States had no problem playing the disks.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little off-topic but relevant...........
    Be careful when/if installing DVDShrink as even the official site http://www.dvdshrink.org/ tries to install the dreaded Babylon Toolbar and change your homepage/search engine and various other things.

Read the options carefully
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    A little off-topic but relevant...........
    Be careful when/if installing DVDShrink as even the official site http://www.dvdshrink.org/ tries to install the dreaded Babylon Toolbar and change your homepage/search engine and various other things.

Read the options carefully

Very true, make sure of what you tick / untick to install.

This seems to be a growing problem these days, I've noticed similar a couple of times recently. My daughter ended up with the Ask toolbar which was a bugger to get shot of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    DVD shrink will do the job, a few years ago I used to buy films from the States and I'd 'shrink' and burn to a DVD so I could use them in the UK. I've done the same in reverse and friends in the States had no problem playing the disks.

No it won't DVDShrink is not a converter it is a DVD ripper, DVDShrink will re-author and shrink a DVD to fit a single layer disk DVDShrink also set's the region code to 0 which is why they can be played worldwide it will not convert from NTSC to Pal or Pal to NTSC , I would leave the frame rate alone the only time converting the frame rate works so you get acceptable results is when you convert 24fps to 25 Pal, to the OP if your friends in the US are playing the disc back over HDMI ask them if there TV accepts 50hz if it does it will play back smooth. You can get DVDShrink here it is a clean install no tool bars or anything else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    azimo wrote: »
    DVDShrink also set's the region code to 0 which is why they can be played worldwide

No it doesn't the region code isn't in the video at all. It's in a seperate track which only exists on commercially pressed DVD's. Copying any DVD content to writeable media makes then Region Free whatever software you use. Without the extra track they can't be anything else.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unfortunately many usa dvd players cant cope with pal. but not a problem if u play on a pc .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    unfortunately many usa dvd players cant cope with pal. but not a problem if u play on a pc .......

Don't you ever read a thread before posting :eek:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61498740&postcount=5

There's only 11 to read.