Options

ISIS - a worldwde surge of terror ahead

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
I don't think the Caliphate in Syria/Iraq will be around for too much longer - it has too many powerful enemies with big bombs and guns - but to me the worry is that ISIS really is a global army, with many thousands of fighters from countries all over the world. Some will return home, keen to carry on their evil work, whilst other people will be inspired by them - just as Al Queda inspired the London bombings in 2005.

I think the inevitable effect will be numerous terrorist atrocities around the world, eg suicide bombings in metro systems, more Lee Rigby style murders etc. All this will lead to more tension between Muslims and everyone else, causing tensions to spiral upwards and more Muslims to be radicalised.

I hope I am wrong on this but we are already seeing former ISIS terrorists being arrested once back in their own countries for planning terror plots.

Comments

• Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I don't think the Caliphate in Syria/Iraq will be around for too much longer - it has too many powerful enemies with big bombs and guns - but to me the worry is that ISIS really is a global army, with many thousands of fighters from countries all over the world. Some will return home, keen to carry on their evil work, whilst other people will be inspired by them - just as Al Queda inspired the London bombings in 2005.

I think the inevitable effect will be numerous terrorist atrocities around the world, eg suicide bombings in metro systems, more Lee Rigby style murders etc. All this will lead to more tension between Muslims and everyone else, causing tensions to spiral upwards and more Muslims to be radicalised.

I hope I am wrong on this but we are already seeing former ISIS terrorists being arrested once back in their own countries for planning terror plots.

ISIS is finished. They were attractive to the Call of Duty Muslims when sweeping across Syria and Iraq but Kobani and American bombing has put off potential recruits. They're now a losing team and few people want to associate themselves with losers.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

And the uk had terrorist attacks along time before 2005, and nothing to do with Muslims, or Al Queda.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

The problem in Iraq/ Syria is that you can stop their offensives by taking down exposed troops, armour, artillery, 4 by 4s and humvees - but you need ground troops to retake territory. And then, lots, more ground troops to hold it. The estimate was 500 ISIL dead rom the bombing already, some time ago, and their stocks of captured Iraqi equipment are being eroded. The Iraqi army, though, has little ofensive capability. And the moderate Syrian opposition, and the Syrian army, are both fighting each other, and lack manpower.

There's a lot of ISIL people, used to killing, who may come back into western cities . Worse they have learnt whats ineffective, and what works better, Worse still, we now have fewer troops and police to deal with them, and the numbers may exceed our ability to watch them all.

Its not only us either - the Lebanese have been fighting jihadists there. The Egyptians lost 30 troops last week and have intensified their blockade of Hamas in Gaza and their campaign in the Sinai in response. And whole areas of Libya are controlled by allied bands with Egypt, and the UAE, bombing them there.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member

One of most the dangerous spin- offs of islamic terror is the threat posed by the wannabe's in the west, such as the terrorist murder in Canada.
    The truth is nowhere in the western world is safe from these people.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    The problem in Iraq/ Syria is that you can stop their offensives by taking down exposed troops, armour, artillery, 4 by 4s and humvees - but you need ground troops to retake territory. And then, lots, more ground troops to hold it. The estimate was 500 ISIL dead rom the bombing already, some time ago, and their stocks of captured Iraqi equipment are being eroded. The Iraqi army, though, has little ofensive capability. And the moderate Syrian opposition, and the Syrian army, are both fighting each other, and lack manpower.

There's a lot of ISIL people, used to killing, who may come back into western cities . Worse they have learnt whats ineffective, and what works better, Worse still, we now have fewer troops and police to deal with them, and the numbers may exceed our ability to watch them all.

Its not only us either - the Lebanese have been fighting jihadists there. The Egyptians lost 30 troops last week and have intensified their blockade of Hamas in Gaza and their campaign in the Sinai in response. And whole areas of Libya are controlled by allied bands with Egypt, and the UAE, bombing them there.

The majority of the Syrian opposition are extremists. The original protest movement was a legitimate anti government protest but it got hijacked early on and since then it's mainly just extremists who want power for themselves. I think our governments knew this all along but as long as it was just Assads troops and civilians they were beheading it served our interests because it destabilized him. Recently ISIS have been getting some rather big ideas of their own and those ideas don't serve our interests so the "freedom fighter" we backed yesterday becomes the "terrorist" we oppose today.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ISISISISISIS isn't a damn "global army", just a bunch of morons who don't have anything better to do other than shout admiral akbar and it's a trap annoying people

oh and start noticing the news saying terror groups are now affiliated with ISIS!

already two have been ..... as if al-queda never existed!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The threat is being exaggerated so that the public in Western nations are distracted away from their own governments and their big-business backers, which are a far greater threat to most of us.

Look at the damage the 2008 financial crisis did to the country and then compare that with the damage done by recent terrorist attacks. Which is really the greater threat to the nation as a whole?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    ISISISISISIS isn't a damn "global army", just a bunch of morons who don't have anything better to do other than shout admiral akbar and it's a trap annoying people

oh and start noticing the news saying terror groups are now affiliated with ISIS!

already two have been ..... as if al-queda never existed!

In a sense yes. There are bigger threats out there.. ISIS might kill 50 people on the tube now and then - which is pretty bad . Iran could kill 100,000 with one bomb when it goes nuclear. Russia is stepping up its efforts to restart the Cold War too - its reverting to its old bullying tactics more by the day http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/world/two-days-of-russian-aircraft-intercepts/1422/and its talking about increasing its defence budget by 30%+ next year Even if the economic collapse restrains that plan, the intent is there, and there's not much capability left in Europe to match what Russia already has.

On the other hand, if you widen our definition of security, ISIS threatens the whole Middle East from Libya to Afghanistan. There's lots of arms lying around that they could pick up. And the economic consequences of them reaching the Gulf's oil would be catastrophic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for leaviing it running in Syria for a bit.
    Brings them out into the open somewhere they can't cause damage at home, makes as many as possible targets and whittles the numbers down so they don't get back.

Perhaps we should build Jihadworld somewhere, where we can not only make a few bob on the entrance fee and food and arms concessions, but keep an eye on them all while they play 'Hunger Games' to their hearts content.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Iran could kill 100,000 with one bomb when it goes nuclear. Russia is stepping up its efforts to restart the Cold War too - its reverting to its old bullying tactics more by the day http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/world/two-days-of-russian-aircraft-intercepts/1422/and its talking about increasing its defence budget by 30%+ next year Even if the economic collapse restrains that plan, the intent is there, and there's not much capability left in Europe to match what Russia already has.

America has the ability to kill hundreds of millions of people right now if they decide to use the bomb. And unlike Iran who have only threatened to remove the Israeli government from the face of the earth, America actually HAS removed various governments from the face of the earth and killed lots of civilians each time they did it, ruining the lives of many more.

I think it's clear though that Iran must be provoking America; Look how close they deliberately placed their country to all those US military bases!
    http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/a8/dc/e0a8dc1dd42acfad42c771a2a195d73e.jpg

The flight intercepts are completely normal they happen all the time and they have happened for years and decades. The planes are in international airspace which Russia is just as entitled to use as we are. When we send any of our planes and boats into international air/waters that is close to Russia they will be intercepted by Russian planes or boats to and watched to make sure they don't violate their territory.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    ISIS is finished. They were attractive to the Call of Duty Muslims when sweeping across Syria and Iraq but Kobani and American bombing has put off potential recruits. They're now a losing team and few people want to associate themselves with losers.

haha somebody needs to stay off the crack. The recruitment has not slowed down and for a losing team they seem to doing pretty damn well under the even with the coalition against them.
    The threat is being exaggerated so that the public in Western nations are distracted away from their own governments and their big-business backers, which are a far greater threat to most of us.

Greatly. The idea that those returning are seeking to cause terror in UK streets is nothing but a myth.

People left to go and fight tyranny in Syria and Iraq from countries all over the world. Many have returned to the countries of birth and surprise surprise no terror.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    haha somebody needs to stay off the crack. The recruitment has not slowed down and for a losing team they seem to doing pretty damn well under the even with the coalition against them.

Greatly. The idea that those returning are seeking to cause terror in UK streets is nothing but a myth.

People left to go and fight tyranny in Syria and Iraq from countries all over the world. Many have returned to the countries of birth and surprise surprise no terror.

Since when is murdering women and children "fighting tyranny" ?
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

To reports last week ISIS lost 500 men and the Kurds lost around 350. They had to send in waves of suicide bombers to try and defeat Kurds.

The threat comes from the obvious fact that other Islamist groups could join the fight.

The Pakistan Taliban has already sword allegiance to IS and there is the likes of Al-Shabab, Boko Harem in the Africa who would send in troops.

People left to go fight Assad then wanted to scuttle back to the UK because they non-Arabic speakers were being used as cannon fodder and often had vests with explosives strapped their chest. Well ' Allah Akbar' and the 72 virgins obliviously isn't want then wanted so are now begging to come home. They made their in Syria now go lie in it with their Salafist friends. The same people quickly found that IS are fighting a sectarian war to turn a secular state into an Islamic one and decided to catch flights back from Turkey.

There has been no terrorism yet, but there has been riots in Germany against Kurdish refugees and a increase is Salafism. It's only a matter time.

Keep the radicals out of the UK because they choose to fight for terrorists and should not be allowed back. I wonder if they like Guantanamo Bay as it's where they should be sent.
  • Options
    zahavizahavi Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    best to walk away from the mid east as meddling has not benefited us
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

Look at the damage the 2008 financial crisis did to the country and then compare that with the damage done by recent terrorist attacks. Which is really the greater threat to the nation as a whole?

Your posts always amuse me:D
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »

Wonder what the next group will call themselves
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To reports last week ISIS lost 500 men and the Kurds lost around 350. They had to send in waves of suicide bombers to try and defeat Kurds.

Reports from where? The Kurds. The same people who claimed IS were being pushed out of the city and were on the retreat.

There is only one group calling for western airstrikes, help from the peshmerga in Iraq and help from the FSA. It isn't IS.

At a minimum IS still control 50% of Kobane and that's even under the threat of constant airstrikes.
    The threat comes from the obvious fact that other Islamist groups could join the fight.

The Pakistan Taliban has already sword allegiance to IS and there is the likes of Al-Shabab, Boko Harem in the Africa who would send in troops.

Already happened. Libya has groups who have pledged allegiance, Boko Haram pledges allegiance, fighters from Nusra and Ahrar Al Sham in Syria continue to leave and join IS. Senior figures in AQC are now starting to see that working with IS makes far more sense than going against them when Iran her proxies are seeking to expand the Shia ideology on the Sunni's.
    People left to go fight Assad then wanted to scuttle back to the UK because they non-Arabic speakers were being used as cannon fodder and often had vests with explosives strapped their chest. Well ' Allah Akbar' and the 72 virgins obliviously isn't want then wanted so are now begging to come home. They made their in Syria now go lie in it with their Salafist friends. The same people quickly found that IS are fighting a sectarian war to turn a secular state into an Islamic one and decided to catch flights back from Turkey.

More fantasy. There are more colours in the ranks of IS than you'll find at Benetton. Black, White, Arab, Asian. Kurd, Oriental. You name it they have it. To suggest people went not realising that they wanted to implement an Islamic State is simply absurd. IS or before that ISIL from day 1 made there plans clear to establish an Islamic State as well as there position on the Shia which hasn't changed.
    There has been no terrorism yet, but there has been riots in Germany against Kurdish refugees and a increase is Salafism. It's only a matter time.

You mean Kurds rioting attacking others such as Chechnya's in Germany not to mention attacking anyone with a beard in Turkey.
    Keep the radicals out of the UK because they choose to fight for terrorists and should not be allowed back. I wonder if they like Guantanamo Bay as it's where they should be sent.

Or one could look at Sweden or Denmark who have a totally different approach to those who return. No terror on the streets of those countries.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Reports from where? The Kurds. The same people who claimed IS were being pushed out of the city and were on the retreat.

There is only one group calling for western airstrikes, help from the peshmerga in Iraq and help from the FSA. It isn't IS.

At a minimum IS still control 50% of Kobane and that's even under the threat of constant airstrikes.

The illegal occupation of Iraq and Syria by "Islamic State" is wrong regardless of how they try to spin it. Muslims will protest again "Occupied Palestine" though.

It's door to door fighting to Arabic media. Just a shame Kobane has to suffer at the hands of radicales.

Already happened. Libya has groups who have pledged allegiance, Boko Haram pledges allegiance, fighters from Nusra and Ahrar Al Sham in Syria continue to leave and join IS. Senior figures in AQC are now starting to see that working with IS makes far more sense than going against them when Iran her proxies are seeking to expand the Shia ideology on the Sunni's.

Their views on Shia will never change but I suppose as Sunnis's kill Sunni's then Iran can just watch.

More fantasy. There are more colours in the ranks of IS than you'll find at Benetton. Black, White, Arab, Asian. Kurd, Oriental. You name it they have it. To suggest people went not realising that they wanted to implement an Islamic State is simply absurd. IS or before that ISIL from day 1 made there plans clear to establish an Islamic State as well as there position on the Shia which hasn't changed.

It is absurd to think British Muslims thought they were fighting 'Assad's tyranny' when they're going to fight a sectarian war and destroy a secular Syria.

People supporting IS can't justify their actions because Assad is killing his own people, killing Yzedhi in Iraq had nothing to do with Assad but they flew out knowing it had already happened. The only people doing the right then in this warped war is the Kurds. As the saying goes two wrongs don't make a right.
    You mean Kurds rioting attacking others such as Chechnya's in Germany not to mention attacking anyone with a beard in Turkey.

Or one could look at Sweden or Denmark who have a totally different approach to those who return. No terror on the streets of those countries.

Some time last Salafist gangs were attacking refugees in Hamburg. The situation is causing problems throughout Europe.

Denmark where the was riots in response to cartoon.

Earlier this year police in Swedish police were beaten is a majority Muslim area. There is already problems and they will live to regret it.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    I am surprised Misiwa97 hasn't gone to fight for ISIS, considering he/she seems to keen on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised Misiwa97 hasn't gone to fight for ISIS, considering he/she seems to keen on them.

Just trying to keep it factual rather than here say. As I said the coalition bombing isn't slowing down the numbers of people going to Syria.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/airstrikes-against-the-islamic-state-have-not-affected-flow-of-foreign-fighters-to-syria/2014/10/30/aa1f124a-603e-11e4-91f7-5d89b5e8c251_story.html?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

More than 1,000 foreign fighters are streaming into Syria each month, a rate that has so far been unchanged by airstrikes against the Islamic State and efforts by other countries to stem the flow of departures, according to U.S. intelligence and counterterrorism officials.

The magnitude of the ongoing migration suggests that the U.S.-led air campaign has neither deterred significant numbers of militants from traveling to the region nor triggered such outrage that even more are flocking to the fight because of American intervention.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Given that 4 of the 6 Jihadists from Portsmouth are dead it seems that helping would be jihadis to reach Syria would be a win for the UK
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zahavi wrote: »
    best to walk away from the mid east as meddling has not benefited us

I think it's a given that will never happen while we need and have investment in their oil.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for leaviing it running in Syria for a bit.
    Brings them out into the open somewhere they can't cause damage at home, makes as many as possible targets and whittles the numbers down so they don't get back.

Perhaps we should build Jihadworld somewhere, where we can not only make a few bob on the entrance fee and food and arms concessions, but keep an eye on them all while they play 'Hunger Games' to their hearts content.

Most sensible suggestion so far. :D
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not lasting long though, are they?

They're probably sucking the final dregs from countries they hadn't previous targeted but now they're getting their butts kicked by the YPG, Peshmerga and USAF. ISIS are even being hammered by the Kurdish women.:D
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    One of most the dangerous spin- offs of islamic terror is the threat posed by the wannabe's in the west, such as the terrorist murder in Canada.
    The truth is nowhere in the western world is safe from these people.

What we need more than anything is to try and stop the flow of terrorist propaganda which is radicalising young Muslims to begin with - whether this means tracking them on the internet or persuading local Muslim communities to reach out to their young people and talk to them/convince them that extremist/terrorist behaviour is a mistake for everyone - including them.

However, I'm not sure how realistic either of those suggestions is - especially finding extremist websites and shutting them down. I'm no computer expert but I imagine that once you catch one or shut it down, another probably springs up elsewhere.