Options

New Doctor Who Fan (Part Davison)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone !
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Yes I will probably do Casanova first. I'm thinking of going back to the very beginning and starting with Takin Over the Asylum first and working my way through. Not sure when I will fit it in though, probably weekends only as I have lots to watch. :)

And it's not like if you had Classic Who on week-ends ;)
    Happily we have only one lengthy Three story, all the others are four-parters, so you might fit something in your busy schedule :D
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    I was going to order that book about Big Finish which I was looking at yesterday and was stunned to find that some sellers are charging over £50 for it! £50..? :eek:

Thankfully, others are charging less than £15 new or less than £10 used - I know which sellers I will be looking at!

Is it a collector's edition ? Or is the book out of print ? If it's the case, maybe I should shake a leg and order it too before it's too late.
    I have gone ahead and ordered one of the cheaper ones (thanks to a DW fan friend of mine and his lovely Amazon voucher!) It covers exactly the period I have listened to so far and looks like there is info on each story, so I can read along as we listen!

Are you planning to begin today? I am off out to the shops soon, so will begin as I walk down the road.

I was too sleepy this morning to listen to any audio. I'll start tomorrow.
    And :eek: : Easter chocolate already ?
    Macek wrote: »
    And seriously, they are incredible, aren't they? I personally prefer "impossible questions" posts: "do we know which hand the Doctor's gonna use to pat the Dalek in next series?" They're my favorite... :rolleyes:

:D
    *imagines muttley hiding the phillips head screwdriver under her matress to dispose of the evidence lol*

I thought that since Muttley is Steven Moffat she might have her own screwdriver. Much easier to cut the power off ;)
    I see from a thread out there that The Sun has picked up on the ginger comment - I better rethink that red hair rinse I just bought this afternoon! :rolleyes:

I've got to go to the hairdresser too very soon. I might ask for a more ginger hair colour this time :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Women rate it higher than men every week. Sometimes by several points. Women have superior taste in tv...;)

Oi! Take it back! For the first time in my whoonie life, I'm actually tempted to raise the discussion about DW-related sexism! :mad:;)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    kw4121 wrote: »
    i of course was making a sweeping generalisation and didn't in anyway mean to in peed your manly status Newbie and i apologise if it seemed like it!!

however in my defence this thread is an oestrogen fest and there is very few blokes like the and me about theses parts so i tend to use the feminine phrasing

Kenneth

There still aren't. As the former frog once said to the princess, "I told you if you kissed me I'd turn into a prince. I never said I'd fancy girls." :D

When I wrote my reply I assumed I'd filled in the Gender box on my profile, but I actually hadn't, so you really had nothing to go on

Speaking of girls - what kind of accent was Matt using when he said that? It sounded to me almost like "gull."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I've just realised that Doctor Who must have an incredibly large lurking community on here if the polls can be reconciled with what the threads say.

*is trying to be calm and polite even in the face of what he considers to be terminal reasoning failures*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    And no, I don't care that they disagree with me a lot of the time; I enjoy disagreement. It just becomes rather dull when they can't give a well-evidenced argument for their position. How can I learn from them without evidence? Grr.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    There still aren't. As the former frog once said to the princess, "I told you if you kissed me I'd turn into a prince. I never said I'd fancy girls." :D

Arnia wrote: »
    I've just realised that Doctor Who must have an incredibly large lurking community on here if the polls can be reconciled with what the threads say.

*is trying to be calm and polite even in the face of what he considers to be terminal reasoning failures*

That wouldn't surprise me. I think that there also may be a large number of people who log in only for the episodes themselves, to vote and see what toher people thought of it. It's only us sad and pathetic DW fanboys/girls who stay in here all year round :p
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »

That wouldn't surprise me. I think that there also may be a large number of people who log in only for the episodes themselves, to vote and see what toher people thought of it. It's only us sad and pathetic DW fanboys/girls who stay in here all year round :p

can you blame a lot of people from joining in given some of the cr*p that gets posted in the episode threads though?

Thats why i get annoyed when the mods don't get the polls up early after episodes air because the polls become less and less reflective every passing hour with no poll appearing, as many people nip on to this forum to vote after an episode and then don't return to it again till the following week....
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Is it a collector's edition ? Or is the book out of print ? If it's the case, maybe I should shake a leg and order it too before it's too late.

It doesn't appear to be out of print as Big Finish are selling it on their website for £10 here or you can check other sellers here.
    I was too sleepy this morning to listen to any audio. I'll start tomorrow.

I started listening to a different audio while out at the shops earlier - will go back to the first one tomorrow once I am travelling back and forth to work again. Anyway, it was number 51, 'The Wormery' with Katy Manning in it. I know she plays a character in the BF DW Universe called Iris Wildthyme and has her own range, but I hadn't heard any of them. I am quite enjoying it so far. Iris is an interesting character! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or to do the usual "writing how awful the episode is while watching it". I don't mind people slagging the episode afterwards (whether they make sense or not) and at least some of them are forum regulars (whether we like it or not).
    But it looks to me like most people who write "it's crap" during the episode, come here only for that reason alone and then quickly disappear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't appear to be out of print as Big Finish are selling it on their website for £10 here or you can check other sellers here.

I started listening to a different audio while out at the shops earlier - will go back to the first one tomorrow once I am travelling back and forth to work again. Anyway, it was number 51, 'The Wormery' with Katy Manning in it. I know she plays a character in the BF DW Universe called Iris Wildthyme and has her own range, but I hadn't heard any of them. I am quite enjoying it so far. Iris is an interesting character! :D

I was thinking about listening to Iris stories, but those with Bernice Summerfield look interesting too... I can't decide which one to start first. :)

I'm sure they're all good though. I've only ventured out of the "regular" Doctors series twice, for DW Unbound and the Dalek saga, both very enjoyable.
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    But we have to bear in mind that nothing written here - even our own golden prose (and occasional poetry) - means anything.

The BBC and the producers quite rightly rely on scientific audience research of the general audience. They rely on DVD, magazine, book and album sales. Of course it would be nice not to have wade through the great big steaming piles of garbage left by our less pure-hearted "friends" but of course we don't have to come here either if we don't want to put up with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Afternoon everyone. First day back at work after two weeks - teachers
    BARROWMAN *shakesfist'* Sorry wrong thread
    Morning Dgem. I'm back at work today after a two week break, and just realised I haven't been sent my updated key for my laptop...so I can't get on and do any work. Which is such a pity.:)

Anyway back to work through the ice and snow to find that this time lower school's boiler had packed up and the kids were sent home today so only one year 11 lesson and time to do that scheme of work I didn't do because of too much DW watching. Hoorah!
    I think I have been cured of my addiction to all things Big Brotherish.......... :rolleyes:

...................I might watch it just to see how it all pans out... :o

I think I recognised 4 of them. Can't be bothered with any of the reality except Strictly these days. Used to be a BB addict until 3 years ago.
    Casanova as a character never appealed to me either, but this version is so different - a lot of comedy, but still some more emotional moments.
    I loved it. I think I watched when it was first repeated but he's sooooo skinny!
    Please do, I'm willing to discuss it at length!! I'm desperate to raise my posts count now, but not desperate enough to reply in any of those "actual" threads... ;):p

And seriously, they are incredible, aren't they? I personally prefer "impossible questions" posts: "do we know which hand the Doctor's gonna use to pat the Dalek in next series?" They're my favorite... :rolleyes:
    I'm feeling getting near the 1000 too and keep dipping into some to raise my posts but sometimes I just feel like ranting.
    Totally agree! ;)

I wonder why that is? Maybe men don't like Donna's red hair!

*Eowyn re-iterates her love for red hair before Weedle or Tumpy get her*

Oh, I'm OK then! :D

No problem I know you love ginger really. I'd love Donna's colour as mine has faded a bit now - old age!! Still it disguises the grey well.

It was -8 here this morning and took 20 mins+ to defrost care. Snow forecast overnight so more fun tomorrow no doubt. Off to venture into other threads for a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about listening to Iris stories, but those with Bernice Summerfield look interesting too... I can't decide which one to start first. :)

I'm sure they're all good though. I've only ventured out of the "regular" Doctors series twice, for DW Unbound and the Dalek saga, both very enjoyable.

The one I am listening to is in the regular series - I didn't know she turned up in there as I thought she was only in her own series.

Do you know a few of us are going to run through the audios from the beginning? We are going to listen to the first in the regular series this week (The Sirens of Time) and comment on Friday, then try to keep to one a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I am listening to is in the regular series - I didn't know she turned up in there as I thought she was only in her own series.

Do you know a few of us are going to run through the audios from the beginning? We are going to listen to the first in the regular series this week (The Sirens of Time) and comment on Friday, then try to keep to one a week.

I remember you talked about it, but I didn't know it's starting this week. I'll try to keep up with you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember you talked about it, but I didn't know it's starting this week. I'll try to keep up with you. :)

Cool -'The Sirens of Time' this week, then.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just popping my head round the door to say that, in case nobody watches Better Off Ted, there was a cameo in this week's episode: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/kngfu/vlcsnap-2010-01-04-08h35m33s24.png
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening!

I've had a very busy afternoon. :)

I have listened to the first half Sirens of Time (and understood about half of it :o ). It is very difficult trying to clean the bathroom and listen to audio at the same time, but it was much easier whilst I was doing the ironing. :D I think I've got the gist of it though and I must say I am very much enjoying it.

I have also gone back to my own classic who rewatch and started the Keys of Marinus today, just watched the first episode of that.

I have also started the new series again and have just rewatched 'Rose'. It was really really touching when it first started and Rose first met the Doctor, to know that this was a few months after she spoke to Ten in the shadows on New Years Day. Puts a different perspective on it. Also seeing Mickey right at the outset again reminds me of how far he's come especially in comparison to how we've just left him. Anyway it was very enjoyable.

Well I'm here for a bit, then going to watch Hustle at 9pm (I promised D.Sid that I would).

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have just taken the twee down :(

Serious case of the post Christmas blues in the Peppermint household :(:(
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm here for a bit, then going to watch Hustle at 9pm (I promised D.Sid that I would).

I love Hustle, can't wait for that!:D

Good point about Rose, I can imagine it will change ones perception of it somewhat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have just taken the twee down :(

Serious case of the post Christmas blues in the Peppermint household :(:(

Aww we did that on 2 Jan. It's horrible especially for the kiddies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I love Hustle, can't wait for that!:D

Good point about Rose, I can imagine it will change ones perception of it somewhat.

I've never seen it before, but it's one of two programmes recommended to me, so giving it a go. Good that you like it too, to have another endorsement. :D

I'm also skyplussing Being Human which is being repeated on Sky HD at the moment, and will probably start that tomorrow night. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everything looks boring without the decorations.

Yes, I can imagine you can have a different perspective on 'Rose', watching it again now.

I find I can't listen to audios while doing housework which involves moving about, but can if I am doing tasks sitting or standing still. I am fine listening while walking but I couldn't if I was cleaning the bathroom. I need to have full concentration!

If it helps, it all ties together better in the last chapter. I did have a few "Eh? What?" moments in the earlier chapters...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything looks boring without the decorations.

Yes, I can imagine you can have a different perspective on 'Rose', watching it again now.

I find I can't listen to audios while doing housework which involves moving about, but can if I am doing tasks sitting or standing still. I am fine listening while walking but I couldn't if I was cleaning the bathroom. I need to have full concentration!

If it helps, it all ties together better in the last chapter. I did have a few "Eh? What?" moments in the earlier chapters...

I will have to leave it for the ironing then. :)

The second chapter made more sense than the first did, I think I need to keep still like you say. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww just found my first post. It seems a lifetme away.
    Hello, this is my first time posting on a forum, but really felt the need to join in.

This is going to seem odd, with everyone talking about the New Dr, and feeling rather lost that David Tennant is leaving shortly.

I'm a little behind the times, and only watched my first Dr Who on Christmas Day. ....

Christopher E is fantastic as the doctor. I haven't got the buzz with David Tennant yet, but maybe that will come with the next series. I didn't see the black anger around him in the Christmas special which Chris E can clearly display.

Have just met Captain Jack and I understand there's some Torchwood shows to see too.

I'm so looking forward to catching up and although I cannot put my views across on each episode as you were able to at the time, I'm delighting in reading what you all thought at the time.

Thank you, and who knows I may eventually get to the point where I can join in too.

I can't believe I didn't think much of DT back then. What on earth was wrong with me, lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww just found my first post. It seems a lifetme away.

I can't believe I didn't think much of DT back then. What on earth was wrong with me, lol.

Aw! Could you have imagined that a year on and nearly 6000 posts later, you would be a DW addict?
This discussion has been closed.