I've been taxed by my workplaces...but I'm a student. What to do?

AneesaAneesa Posts: 783
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey guys,
I was taxed by work even though I shouldn't have been because I'm a student so how do I get my money back?

Earlier this year I worked at Next, they've taken about £20 off and I worked at Sports Direct who took about £10. How do I get my money back? I heard hm revenue give it back at the end of the year, is this true?

This is the first time this happened to me so apologies if I seem very clueless. I appreciate any help and advice given!

Thanks.

Comments

• iSupposeSoiSupposeSo Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I didn't think being a student meant you were exempt from tax on a job?! Maybe that's me though!
  • AneesaAneesa Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iSupposeSo wrote: »
    I didn't think being a student meant you were exempt from tax on a job?! Maybe that's me though!

Thats what I've been told so far by friends and family!
    Very confused by all this
    Forum Member
    Sometimes when you start a new job you get put on a generic tax code, could be that? You need to speak to HR at your job really. Or look on HMRC website http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes when you start a new job you get put on a generic tax code, could be that? You need to speak to HR at your job really. Or look on HMRC website http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp

I've left both those jobs now...to be honest left Next on a bad note after I had to chase them up 3 times just to get paid!

I'll check out that website, and was thinking I'll have to call up hm revenue on Monday to find out for sure.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Students do still pay tax. So unless you were over taxed then you won't get it back

https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax
    Forum Member
    As I thought, you may need to pay tax if you earn enough (as with anyone who isn't a student). See https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody over 16 pays income tax if they're earning over the tax free allowance.

Ordinarily, if you earn more than circa £190 a week, you will pay tax.

Because students don't tend to earn that much and work part time - they generally don't go over the tax limit - so there's a perpetuated fallacy d that students can work tax free. It is not true.

Edit: Seems I posted the same as striing at the same time. Though striing makes a good point about the basic / emergency tax rate.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll have to apply for it back at the end of the tax year if your total earnings for the year has not gone above the threshold. If it has then you won't be due it back. Student or not you still pay tax if you earn enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Students do still pay tax. So unless you were over taxed then you won't get it back

https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax

I'm pretty sure I was over taxed as I didn't earn nowhere near that in a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I thought, you may need to pay tax if you earn enough (as with anyone who isn't a student). See https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax

Thank you, and I'm sure I was over taxed as I didn't earn that much for either jobs in one week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    You'll have to apply for it back at the end of the tax year if your total earnings for the year has not gone above the threshold. If it has then you won't be due it back. Student or not you still pay tax if you earn enough.

I understand now thanks. When can I apply to get the money back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Being a student is irrelevant. Anyone is 'exempt' from tax if they earn below the tax threshold. From the amounts you have quoted I am guessing you have earnt below the tax threshold so it is likely that you have been put on basic rate tax by both your employers. If you work for more than one employer, you are going to end up with one of them putting you on basic because the P46 doesn't create any other option but your main employer should have your correct tax code (assuming you filled out the P46 correctly when you started).

Ring HMRC and they can check whether your tax code is correct and also tell you what you need to do to get the overpayment back at the end of the tax year. They may do it automatically if your tax code is correct, particularly if you notify them now, but don't assume they will if you don't tell them.

I've left both jobs now. I will call them up on Monday. Thank you.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/overview

May help.

You've experienced the first throes of the fundamental problems and irritations of the UKincome tax system. :)
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneesa wrote: »

They won't do anything now I doubt because you could start another job in this tax year. Call them up in April and they'll sort it for you and you'll get your money within a couple of weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/overview

May help.

You've experienced the first throes of the fundamental problems and irritations of the income UK tax system. :)

Thank you for the link :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    They won't do anything now I doubt because you could start another job in this tax year. Call them up in April and they'll sort it for you and you'll get your money within a couple of weeks.

Oh okay, I wasn't going to work this year due to university. But I shall call them on Monday just to ask*a few questions.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh okay, I wasn't going to work this year due to university. But I shall call them on Monday just to ask*a few questions.
    You can make your claim now, you need a Form R38 that can now be completed online, but you may have to make a separate claim for each employment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    You can make your claim now, you need a Form R38 that can now be completed online, but you may have to make a separate claim for each employment.

I will look at that online and try to fill it out. Thank you.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Normally overpayments should either be paid back in your pay packet or they send you a cheque. You could be on the wrong code, so check what you're on, and google it. I paid too much tax this year, but the taxman sorted it out and sent me a cheque. :D:D
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys,
    I was taxed by work even though I shouldn't have been because I'm a student so how do I get my money back?

As a student you're exempt from Council Tax. That's all.

You still have to pay income tax on earnings over £9500 per year (or whatever the figure now is), and National Insurance over £150 or so per week.

The income tax is what's causing the problem, as the assumption is that this is a regular job and that the money will continue coming in, so you pay tax weekly on the basis that you will exceed the threshold by the end of the year. Casual work, multiple jobs and zero-hours contracts all cause problems too.

Contact HMRC about this and ask their advice. They might not necessarily give you a refund after next April; more likely they will adjust next year's tax code so you pay less tax. Not much good if you won't earn enough next year either! So you might have to chase the money.

(With National Insurance, that is only assessed weekly (or sometimes monthly), so with casual work you can sometimes minimise the NI amount by spreading shifts across two weeks for example.)
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you do not expect to work again in this tax year then yes you can apply for the tax back now. Speak to HM Revenue and Customs about it on Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member

Call them early to avoid the queue. Like 9 am. That's straight from the horse's mouth, i.e., that's what they told me last time I spoke to them.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you left you should have been given a form called a P45. Keep these, as you will need them either to get your tax back, or if you start another job.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Students aren't exempt from tax. They just don't tend to earn enough in a year to pass the tax threshold. Workplaces will generally assume you are paying standard rate tax, but you can reclaim the tax you paid if you aren't going to pass the tax threshold.