Labour will consider ‘all-black shortlists’ to recruit more ethnic Labour MPs.

Comments

• Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    It's okay as long as it's the right kind of racism.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    well if it brings a representative amount of MPs from ethnic minorities, then I'm all for it. Having 5-10% of MPs not being white british isn't the end of the world.

You're right, it isn't. It would be nice if they got there by merit though, rather than quota, surely?
  • pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    You're right, it isn't. It would be nice if they got there by merit though, rather than quota, surely?

They've had since 1948 to get there on merit.
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they are a few good reasons never to vote Labour. Hopefully it will encourage even more people to vote UKIP.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly I don't necessary see these two speeches as inconsistent. Some interesting potential policies though.

1. All-black shortlists’ to recruit more ethnic Labour MPs
    2. Introduce new laws to promote racial equality.
    3. Deliver a race equality strategy across every government department within a year.
    4. Tackle police stop and search, which is disproportionately used on black people
    5. Tackle the under-representation of black people in the judiciary and in public sector board rooms
    6. More ethnic minority Whitehall mandarins, judges and company directors
    7. Guarantee’ jobs for unemployed black youngsters in London

It must be difficult to please two totally different groups of supporters. White working class outside the cities and ethnic minorities inside the cities.

I'm not sure if positive discrimination is the right way forward. It's more complicated than just discrimination. Different migrants groups / ethnic minorities have different cultural identities / needs. Integration and progress will follow separate paths. England has a specific cultural identity and it's obvious that just like any other country, it will work differently for citizens from different countries.

The English may find living in Germany easier than living in France for example. Anglo Saxons vs Latin lifestyle. The English may find a job in the German civil service easier than one in the French civil service, as they may have a different way of running things.

If Labour really cares about the large number of young black men is south London that are unemployed, why did they embark on mass immigration? Many will be the descendants of the workers that came from the Caribbean to work in the UK in the 1950's. Why import more immigrants, why not just use the existing ones descendants to fill the job vacancies?

Out of interest does the Daily Mail show the actual transcripts of these two speeches or are we expected to take their word ?

In which of these two speeches is he supposed to have said Labour will consider an all black shortlist ?

And why have none of the news channels picked up on it ?
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of forum members in this thread getting hot under the coller for not much reason at all other than supposition.
  • NeverEnoughNeverEnough Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the job guarantee only apply to unemployed black teenagers?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all you doubting Thomas’s who don’t want to believe the Daily Mail here are two more sources

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Labour-Leader-Ed-Miliband-speaks-packed-crowd/story-23404944-detail/story.html

http://www.obv.org.uk/news-blogs/ed-miliband-makes-race-equality-pledge

I assume Operation Black vote will be acceptable to your discriminating standards <sigh!!>
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    well if it brings a representative amount of MPs from ethnic minorities, then I'm all for it. Having 5-10% of MPs not being white british isn't the end of the world.

But how would we (and they) know if they got there on merit or because they happen to fit the short list requirements? Wouldn't it undermine both their positions and the existing MPs who presumably have got there on merit?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Lenka wrote: »
    This sounds like that terrible All Women Shortlist they created to parachute Harriet Harman's husband into.

Maybe Harriet should do the decent thing and stand down.

If any place should have a black MP its surely Camberwell and Peckham rather than a posh public school girl from an aristocratic background.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenka wrote: »
    This sounds like that terrible All Women Shortlist they created to parachute Harriet Harman's husband into.

I don't want to appear like a sleazy and crass Kipper but is he transgender?
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed must think the Labour party is institutionally racist if he feels the need to impose quotas
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    So Ed says they have learnt lessons from the past , what lessons and was he really paying attention :confused:

Pushing ideas like this as well as Chukas drive for more Blacks in football will just drive people to UKIP

Colour should never come into the equation it should be on ability and nothing else
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More rules and regulations from the brain washed Marxist Millibandit
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Minorities" are more than just people with black skin so why is Ed only talking about "all-Black" shortlists?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given Labour's track record in positive discrimination shortlists, they'll parachute an albino to the top of the all-black shortlist if that person is a union bigwig or married to party top brass, just like how Mrs. Jack Dromey got to the top of hers

If only more parties had an anti-PPE, anti-career politician shortlist. That'd be genuinely useful positive discrimination
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to a disabled black lesbian transgender dwarf as my next Labour candidate.
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't know how they decide whether someone is black.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Talma wrote: »
    But how would we (and they) know if they got there on merit or because they happen to fit the short list requirements? Wouldn't it undermine both their positions and the existing MPs who presumably have got there on merit?

Not many MPs are there on Merit as it is. I bet you could count them on their very rich fingers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »

This is the problem we have when we are dealing with racists of the left i.e. the Labour Party. Perhaps Ed and Diane Abbott have this in mind:

http://s.pikabu.ru/images/big_size_comm/2011-10_6/13198768173399.jpg
  • HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    This could easily be sorted by scrapping the legislation and just letting the Police do their job unhindered.

I think a short list is a good idea.
    As a contractor I have worked all over the world and the boss is normally (of what ever colour) at least 2 to 3 inches taller than anyone else.

I think it is time that short people are given a chance to be bosses.

Why are bosses consistently tall?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »

SPOT ON!!!! You can quite legitimately say Obama is White just as much as Black,
    Obama another White President does not sound so good as Obama First Black President.
    But in truth he is just as much white as anything else. The whole thing is a nonsense.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all you doubting Thomas’s who don’t want to believe the Daily Mail here are two more sources

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Labour-Leader-Ed-Miliband-speaks-packed-crowd/story-23404944-detail/story.html

http://www.obv.org.uk/news-blogs/ed-miliband-makes-race-equality-pledge

I assume Operation Black vote will be acceptable to your discriminating standards <sigh!!>

Well thank you for that clarification, personally I can't see any harm in making sure he has actually said what the Daily Mail claims he has,

I prefer to question what the Daily Mail reports, you obviously take everything the Daily Mail reports as gospel.

As far as Miliband 'considering' an all black short list is concerned, my opinion is that candidates should be chosen on merit whatever colour their skin may be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    SPOT ON!!!! You can quite legitimately say Obama is White just as much as Black, Obama another White President does not sound so good as Obama First Black President. But in truth he is just as much white as anything else. The whole thing is a nonsense.

It doesn't really work that way does it?

White woman and White man = White child
    White woman and Black man = Black child
    Black woman and White man = Black child
    Black woman and Black man = Black child

Since that's a truth table it will be possible to express it in propositional logic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »
    It doesn't really work that way does it?

White woman and White man = White child
    White woman and Black man = Black child
    Black woman and White man = Black child
    Black woman and Black man = Black child

Since that's a truth table it will be possible to express it in propositional logic.

Nonsense.