Doctor Who - S8E11 - Dark Water - 1st Nov '14 - BBC One (HD) @ 8.15pm

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    CD93 wrote: »
    Michelle Gomez is superb.

I've only seen her in 'Bad Education' but she was great in that, and I've liked her Missy appearances so far in series 8.

The big question though is:

Who's Missy!!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    I've only seen her in 'Bad Education' but she was great in that, and I've liked her Missy appearances so far in series 8.

Who's Missy!!

"Who are you?
    "I'm Missy...."
    "Who's Missy?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Who are you, really?"
    "I just told you."
    "Told me what?"
    "I'm Missy."
    "But who is Missy?"
    "Missy is me. I am Missy."
    "But who are you?"
    "Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere?"
    "Who's that?"
    "Me."
    "Who are you?"
    "MISSY!"

I hope The Doctor and Seb get to discuss their favorite sci-fi films.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    "Who are you?
    "I'm Missy...."
    "Who's Missy?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Who are you, really?"
    "I just told you."
    "Told me what?"
    "I'm Missy."
    "But who is Missy?"
    "Missy is me. I am Missy."
    "But who are you?"
    "Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere?"
    "Who's that?"
    "Me."
    "Who are you?"
    "MISSY!"

:D Hopefully that's not taken from Moffat's script!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent

Reading it back it looks like prep for an Aaron Sorkin installment.

Theregoestheday has a better time of it, this week, but also shares serious concerns about the subject matter.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent

Who's Missy!!

Whoever she is, I luuuurve surprises .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent

Lol, I think Minky and a few others suggested this. If I'm honest I can't remember that Missy or much else from the episode .......
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent

The clip from the episode I saw on another thread started off a bit like that so likely!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    Seen a couple of reviews which say something like the following:

"Dark Water isn't a bad episode, but it only feels like half a story."

I think the gap since the last two-parter has started to really mess with people.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent

I think the gap since the last two-parter has started to really mess with people.

lol yes the people reviewing are definitely forgetting what a two-parter is supposed to do!
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent

I hope these people never watch an episode from 1963-1989 series then. "The Dead Planet isn't a bad episode but it only feels like a seventh of the story..." :D
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    I really hope the general audience are going to be amazed by this episode on Saturday. Fans are always amazed (whether positive or negative), but ultimately it will be down to the casual viewers.

I realise that sound particularly controversial on a forum such as this, but the show wouldn't have become successful again without a huge proportion of the public, who don't usually watch sci-fi, to come with us. And it is to them I thank.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    DWTV's preview is as ambiguous as expected - and speculates that Missy is be a major player in the Whoniverse.
    ALL the previews have been ambiguous, as reviewers have been asked not to divulge some specific plot points and (at least in the preview copy I have from the BBC) there are two short sequences which have been removed because they contain a major spoiler that the BBC absolutely, positively do not want to leak out.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good

As any writer will tell you - the first part of a two parter should still stand as a story in its own right with intro, rise and resolution. You NEVER just take a script and chop it in half. That is not how a two part story is structured. The skill with two parters is making part one work in its own right AND setting up part two.

That's probably why it's been so long since DW has done one - they're difficult to write well.

The reviewers who are saying this aren't daft and obviously do understand how two parters should work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    I am confident Dark Water has a beginning, a middle and an end (this man knows his cliffhangers) in it's own right. But it's still half of a bigger story - I hope.

Hey slouchingthatch, set us right - has the script been cut in half? :p
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    claire2281 wrote: »
    As any writer will tell you - the first part of a two parter should still stand as a story in its own right with intro, rise and resolution. You NEVER just take a script and chop it in half. That is not how a two part story is structured. The skill with two parters is making part one work in its own right AND setting up part two.

That's probably why it's been so long since DW has done one - they're difficult to write well.

The reviewers who are saying this aren't daft and obviously do understand how two parters should work.

Pretty sure none of the two parters in Doctor Who do that, other than A Good Man Goes To War and Let's Kill Hitler if they count as one.
    And if they're not written correctly, how are some of them are incredibly popular e.g Empty Child/Doctor Dances, Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, Human Nature/Family Of Blood and Pandorica Opens/Big Bang.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    Cultbox's David Lewis' words about Dark Water.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    I am confident Dark Water has a beginning, a middle and an end (this man knows his cliffhangers) in it's own right. But it's still half of a bigger story - I hope.

Hey slouchingthatch, set us right - has the script been cut in half? :p
    Well, yes! It's clearly the first part of a two-parter, but there's a definite sense of this being a more or less self-contained first part of two. As has been speculated (and reported in other people's previews), not all the scenes in the "next time" trailer are from part 1 - basically all the action scenes are from the second part. The trailer currently running on BBC1 is only featuring scenes from part 1, though.

Dark Water has two big moments - one pre-credits that sets the impetus for the entire episode, and one at the end which is so top secret that two short sequences have been deleted from the online preview I have access to.

I'll leave it to everyone's imaginations what those are. I genuinely don't know what's been deleted from the ending, but it's clearly a big spoiler!

To put this into context, there's a lot more sensitivity around spoilers for Who than there are other BBC shows. Access to previews is controlled much more tightly than other shows (The Apprentice is similar), and pretty much every week reviewers are instrucuted not to divulge some specific plot points.

So, for instance, for In the Forest of the Night, we were told not to talk about Maebh's background or the forest creatures she sees, while for Mummy on the Orient Express we weren't supposed to hint at anything to do with the Foretold's origin or that only its intended victims could see it.

This is the first time this season, however, that a scene has been physically removed.

Hope that helps.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    You know what, I wouldn't put it past the Moff to actually make Missy the Rani just to completely mess with the fans. Those of us laughing and joking and calling everyone the Rani would certainly be left stunned.

Also, in the absence of the Master, she is amongst the most well-known Time-Lady out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Meh!
    You know what, I wouldn't put it past the Moff to actually make Missy the Rani just to completely mess with the fans. Those of us laughing and joking and calling everyone the Rani would certainly be left stunned.

Also, in the absence of the Master, she is amongst the most well-known Time-Lady out there.

Or he could really mess with fans and she could turn out to be the famous Timelord and cricketer, Ronnie Irani........... (ones for those with some cricket knowledge there).
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    The Radio Times is a sad and sorry old brand waiting to be chucked on the scrap heap. Its writers are utterly piss poor and its laughable attempts at remaining relevant with its online content are exactly that. Laughable. I wouldn't waste a second reading anything they say good or bad about the show.

I have to be honest, saladfingers81, I only bought it because Peter Capaldi was on the cover. By the time I had read all the Doctor Who related articles, I wished I hadn't bothered. I was all just oddly negative. Even the positive bits were only just positive.

And when I got to Patrick Mulkern's comment "A lot of this episode will appear crass and in poor taste to anyone who's suffered a bereavement. Which is most of us." I thought are you having a laugh?

God help him if he ever watched True Blood!

So I can't disagree with your comments about the RT. I won't be wasting my money on it again.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    The removal of scenes can only point to Missy's identity not only being revealed but that it is someone we will know when comes. Especially the reaction we've heard about the ADR recording session.

That points to either The Master or a Future Clara tbh.

If Gomez does regenerate into Dance, that's gonna be a hell of an awkward post regen scene :p
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent

Most Classic Who episodes do not stand as a story in their own right.
    Actually, most New Who two-parters don't either.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent

I can't name a single two parter that hasn't had the first part feel like half a story, except perhaps The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang. Yet they are still superb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    The Dark Water clip has been uploaded on to the official BBC channel.