Options

The lead singles that never were.....

RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lead singles. They can make or break an album. Looking back in hindsight, of any album of your choice, what do you think would have made a better lead single?

Leona Lewis- Echo. I think 'Cant breathe' would have been the PERFECR trailer. What a tune. Also It would have made this transition that her label are pulling now, more easier. As in, lowered her in to this new era rather then just dropping her into it. That's how I see it anyway IMHO

Burkey baby - heartbreak on hold. Under the sheets

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce should have released Coundown or Love on top to begin her 4 era. Run the world was too medicore for her and didn't show off what type of album 4 eventually was.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce should have released Coundown or Love on top to begin her 4 era. Run the world was too medicore for her and didn't show off what type of album 4 eventually was.

Completely agree. I really don't understand what her label was thinking putting out run the world :/ End of time would have been a complete smash a first single though
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Disagree perfect lead it really showed the direction of the album really well and is one of her best and most interesting singles.
  • Options
    Super Roux!Super Roux! Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that "Gang Bang" should have been the first single from MDNA. "Gimme All Your Luvin'" is okay, but not great.

Also, for Christina Aguilera's "Bionic", I'm not sure, but I'd say that "Desnudate" or "Birds of Prey" should have been the lead single.

Lady Gaga should have released "The Edge of Glory" or perhaps "Sheiße" as the lead single from "Born This Way".
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "Brave" would have been the perfect lead off of Echo! It still feels epic when I listen to it! It's simple, catchy, but has Bleeding Love moments! Don't Let Me Down as the follow up then!

"Edge of Glory" off Born This Way, but I see why they chose BTW as the lead. If it would have been single two even it would have flown smoother!

Ego off of Wordshaker by The Saturdays instead of Forever is Over! People wanted another "Up!" and they got a pop rock song which wasn't really how their album was!
    All Fired Up off of On your Radar too! Notorious, while good, seems very album track, and didn't spark a wave of excitement. The album should of dropped after All Fired Up too!

Stronger should have been the lead single for Kelly Clarkson's album. Mr. Know It All was fairly "Meh!"

Don't Stop the Party would have been better than The Time (Dirty Bit) from The Beginning by The Black Eyed Peas!

Aaaaand that's all I can think of! :) ... For now! ;)
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona Lewis with either Love Letter, Outta My Head or Can't Breathe for her Echo album. ALl of which would've secured no.1 (i think)!

Cher Lloyd - Want U Back, Superhero or End Up Here should of lead the album!
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought 'first singles' and 'lead singles' were different things? Like Beyonce's first single from 4 was Run The World but the lead single was Best Thing I Never Had?

But if we're talking about first singles from an album, I would say:

Alexandra Burke - Heartbreak On Hold (instead of Elephant)
    The Saturdays - All Fired Up or Get Ready, Get Set (instead of Notorious)
    Alesha Dixon - Baddest Chick (instead of Drummer Boy)
    Cher Lloyd - Want U Back (instead of Swagger Jagger)
    Beyonce - Countdown or Love On Top (instead of Run The World)
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher Lloyd - Want U Back
    Leona Lewis - Outta My Head (Happy was great also though)
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis 'Echo' - 'Can't Breathe' or 'Love Letter'

Avril Lavigne 'Goodbye Lullaby' - Anything except 'What the hell' and 'Smile'

Rihanna 'Rated R' - 'Rude Boy'

Originally for Kelly Clarkson's 'stronger' i would have said 'Stronger' or 'I Forgive' but i love how 'Mr Know It All' wasn't an anthem and started the album modestly and then 'stronger' brought kelly back to her anthemic self, it really showed the dimensions of the album.

Ciara 'Basic Instinct' - 'Turn It Up (ft Usher)'
  • Options
    jamesisacejamesisace Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays - Chasing Lights should have had Up as the first single
    The Saturdays - Wordshaker should have had One Shot as the first single
    The Saturdays - Headlines should have had Higher as the first single
    The Saturdays - On Your Radar should have had All Fired Up as the first single

Also, I bet in a few months time we well be saying that '30 Days' should not have been the first single from their upcoming album. Can't believe they've got this wrong FIVE times
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays - All Fired Up instead of Notorious (On Your Radar)
    The Saturdays - Ego instead of Forever Is Over (Wordshaker)
    The Saturdays - Higher instead of Missing You (Headlines)
    Alexandra Burke - Heartbreak on Hold instead of Elephant (Heartbreak on Hold)
    Leona Lewis - Brave instead of Happy (Echo)
    Britney Spears - Till the World Ends instead of Hold it Against Me (Femme Fatale)
    Beyonce - End of Time instead of Run the World (4)
    Madonna - Turn Up the Radio instead of Gimme all your Luvvin (MDNA)
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamesisace wrote: »
    The Saturdays - Chasing Lights should have had Up as the first single
    The Saturdays - Wordshaker should have had One Shot as the first single
    The Saturdays - Headlines should have had Higher as the first single
    The Saturdays - On Your Radar should have had All Fired Up as the first single

Also, I bet in a few months time we well be saying that '30 Days' should not have been the first single from their upcoming album. Can't believe they've got this wrong FIVE times

I'm a huge Saturdays fan but I have to agree with you, they are simply TERRIBLE at first single choices.
    You'd think after 4 or 5 mishaps they would have gotten it right, although by now I'm starting to think that they're doing it on purpose.
  • Options
    dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Aaliyah's third album, it should have been More Than a Woman. They picked We Need a Resolution, which was good, but MTAW described her maturity into the new album, the lyrics to the tempo, everything worked for it.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona - Can't Breath, fantastic song and sounded very different to everything else around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Magnificent rather than Get on your Boots by U2 on their last studio album, No Line On The Horizon
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree with Rated R - Rude Boy could NEVER have been Rihanna's comeback single after being beat up by Chris Brown

Agree with Edge of Glory as Gaga's lead for Born this Way

Wasnt it the case that Beyonce's original album was full of work similar to Run The World but after it flopped she stuck on a load of ballads and shelved some of the original uptempos? Either way Countdown would have been a good lead as a reliable Beyonce single, however Run the World is for me the best thing Beyonce has ever done haha.

Not strictly on lead singles, but Calvin Harris should hurry up and release his album - its been preceded by 5 or 6 successful singles, who's going to buy it when they already have over half the tracklist!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I think we need an alternative music forum here lol
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've released End of Time as the lead single from 4.
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I most defintely think 'Till The World Ends' should have kick started the Femme Fatale era for Britney rather than 'Hold It Against Me'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I'm a huge Saturdays fan but I have to agree with you, they are simply TERRIBLE at first single choices.
    You'd think after 4 or 5 mishaps they would have gotten it right, although by now I'm starting to think that they're doing it on purpose.

I think it's because the best single is always recorded towards the end. After 30 days they sent pics of them recording the next single. I think they get all the filler done and then at the end, actually invest in an amazing song.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Kylie's the one would have got the x era off to a
    Spectacular start over 2 hearts, or even speakerphone as a more daring option with the one as single 2
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    Kylie's the one would have got the x era off to a
    Spectacular start over 2 hearts, or even speakerphone as a more daring option with the one as single 2

I liked 2 Hearts as a first if not lead she should have followed it up before the album with Like A Drug or The One.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Dont understand why so many people have suggested "Cant Breathe" by Leona, I think its album filler
    Definitely should have released "Broken" or "Alive"
    I also really liked "Happy"
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Lady GaGa - Sheisse (Would have been a smash hit everywhere) or Edge of Glory
    Kylie - Get Out of My Way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is surprising, in recent years i do find artists have made often poor single choices out of an otherwise really strong album.

Recently,

Turn Up The Radio i feel would have been bigger if released as a lead, its fun, euphoric and also could have been used for the Superbowl...but alas Luvin was chosen....then Wild and then TUTR and all with zero promo -_-. Whereas if TUTR was a lead she then could have released one of the mor experimental songs on the album as a second single (Love Spent, Im A Sinner, Im Addicted being prime examples). Beautiful Killer is also immensely brilliant.

Till The World Ends, why was this not the lead??? Sure HIAM had the Dub included and is a fun song but TTWE is a classic that should have been....IMO its up there with Tosic and gimme More as one of her finest ever single releases....but why was it not the lead?? Could and should have been much much bigger.

Edge Of glory....how different would the BTW era have been if this had been the lead with a powerful video? I mean it reminds me a lot of summer 2011...but darn if it were a lead single it would have been something almighty indeed!

Countdown, i do feel would have been the strongest lead single from Beyonces 4....i mean by a landslide this is her best album of material! But RUn The World really is one of the worst things i have ever heard with an ironically brilliantly directed video...but eriously what on earth were they thinking? Countdown on the other hand is a perfect way to introduce a quirkey Nu-Bey....they of course follow up with BTINH which was a minor hit anyway and End of Time released sooner too with an ACTUAL video!