Options

Smooth Radio Double top 20 - plays the wrong song

bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
Forum Member
✭✭
I taped this last night. David Jensen was playing the Top 20 from May 1984. The Flying Pickets were in the Top 10 with "When Your Young and in Love". David actually played "Only You " which was in the charts in December 1983 / January 1984. Big mistake.

Comments

• Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I taped this last night. David Jensen was playing the Top 20 from May 1984. The Flying Pickets were in the Top 10 with "When Your Young and in Love". David actually played "Only You " which was in the charts in December 1983 / January 1984. Big mistake.

This show is voice tracked so it is possible that the techies inserted the wrong track. Did Jensen announce the record correctly?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here we go again! I've bumped the original thread up the pecking order for your benefit. Same thing has happened too many times and there are no excuses to be made for it. One edition last year had 2 dreadful mistakes with the wrong record inside 15 minutes, if I recall 1971's Knock Three Times by Dawn was played instead of their 1973 No1. Truly amateur. Not David Jensen's fault I guess, but am not sure, but if he had the ethos of Tony Blackburn to actually do live radio whenever possible maybe it would not occur, and if it did at least the error could be acknowledged and even jested about, as once happened on Tony B's Pick Of The Pops.

In the end it is quite simple to me. If they cannot care about the radio they are broadcasting, and it's integrity, then why on earth should the listener care enough to bother lending their attention and time?

Once or even twice okay, but it's just a slovenly pattern now. Learn from their mistakes? Not whoever pieces together this show at Smooth.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Here we go again! I've bumped the original thread up the pecking order for your benefit. Same thing has happened too many times and there are no excuses to be made for it. One edition last year had 2 dreadful mistakes with the wrong record inside 15 minutes, if I recall 1971's Knock Three Times by Dawn was played instead of their 1973 No1. Truly amateur. Not David Jensen's fault I guess, but am not sure, but if he had the ethos of Tony Blackburn to actually do live radio whenever possible maybe it would not occur, and if it did at least the error could be acknowledged and even jested about, as once happened on Tony B's Pick Of The Pops.

In the end it is quite simple to me. If they cannot care about the radio they are broadcasting, and it's integrity, then why on earth should the listener care enough to bother lending their attention and time?

Once or even twice okay, but it's just a slovenly pattern now. Learn from their mistakes? Not whoever pieces together this show at Smooth.
    Perhaps David Jensen doesn't get the option to do the show live, or at least to record it to be broadcast as live. Voice tracking of shows seems to be the only way forward for a lot of stations, especially for weekend programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Perhaps David Jensen doesn't get the option to do the show live, or at least to record it to be broadcast as live. Voice tracking of shows seems to be the only way forward for a lot of stations, especially for weekend programming.

I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt, because I like him to listen to, and watch (;)) and am sure he himself is the consumate professional, likely being let down by other much younger and careless individuals who edit this stuff together. Doing shows the way you describe (voice tracking) cannot seriously be a very gratifying thing for a seasoned pro can it?
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think smooth can be bothered with making the double top 20,as from march this year they have been repeating the shows from last year (the exact same mistake was made in the show broadcast on may 6th last year) smooth even cant be bothered to get the kid in to do some new voice tracks for new shows.so in a few weeks we'll be hearing the wrong medicine head and Tony Orlando & dawn tracks in the may 1973 chart at the end of the month (just like last year)
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are using the same charts as last year, but I don't think they are repeats - unless they are just getting Kid Jensen to re-record the last link which mentions Kate Thornton's show coming up next,which wasn't on last year. .
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,854
    Forum Member
    They might relaunch it, use Bates and others on rotation?
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    They are using the same charts as last year, but I don't think they are repeats - unless they are just getting Kid Jensen to re-record the last link which mentions Kate Thornton's show coming up next,which wasn't on last year. .
    think they are just rehashing it,getting the kid to revoice the end announcement and sticking in the new jingle package to make it sound like a new show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    think they are just rehashing it,getting the kid to revoice the end announcement and sticking in the new jingle package to make it sound like a new show

One thing alone, and it is just this one thing, makes me think that they are not simply picking last years show off the shelf, dusting it down, reheating it and shoving it out for consumption by a public ignorant of the fact. Very recently, within the past month, he played Andy Williams and referred to him as "the late" singer. As he only departed last autumn it cannot have been a show from a year ago exactly.

Now you mention this I will be paying very close attention, especially for any repeat slip ups! Smooth is far from it's title. Generic music is bad enough, but generic radio broadcasting just stinks badly to me, and for long time broadcasters to be sucked into this lazy vortex is very dis-appointing.

I think I should become a lyricist for somebody! ;)
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no reason why they shouldn't just play old repeats. It is after all the exact same chart.

For some reason (and I'm not sure why) but the DTT obviously sounds VT'd whereas on POTP when Dale and then Tony (during his first few months) it wasn't SO apparent.

I wonder if it's because Jensen sounds exactly the same week in week out. The script sound exactly the same, except for the band's names of course!