Options

Is your tablet gathering dust yet ?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debb1e wrote: »
    For example, could you imagine contributing to this forum without a proper keyboard?

Yes, because I regularly post here from my phone or tablet without any problems. It used to be a nightmare on older Android phones, though.

Anyway, no, my Hudl isn't gathering dust. Mainly use it for ComiXology and note taking/writing when I can't be bothered firing up any of the main computers.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all interesting reading for someone who has always fancied a tablet but would never likely use one :)
  • Options
    InsaniumInsanium Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    my ipad mini is pretty much only ever used now in the kitchen when im cooking to stream a family guy episode from the laptop.

everything else is either done on the laptop or my lg g2.
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We Got an Ipad mini about 3 months ago and my wife has fallen in Love with it
    she never puts it down at home
    and my God if some one else gets hold of it she really gets 'uppity' about it LOL

her samsung SG2 phone does not get a look in these days

according the her it is the best device to ever arrive at our home
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And for the person who said that you can't type on forums, I do it all the time with my iPad. In fact I'm typing this on my iPad!

It's not a laptop/desktop replacement but I use my laptop less and less these days. I probably only use my laptop once or twice a month, yet I use my tablet everyday.

I don't like typing more than a couple of lines on my tablet as I'm so slow. On a laptop or desktop I can virtually touch type. I also find a laptop easier for general browsing (such as now) as I can have it on the arm of the sofa and use it mostly one handed while the screen is upright. Using a tablet is mostly a two handed operation.

On the other hand, a tablet is more useful in bed and I'll also admit to using it in the bath too - though I've had a couple of close shaves when almost dropping it.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 50:50, but I use my tablet as an e-reader, which accounts for a lot of my usage. Also, MapsWithMe is brilliant when travelling - much better than a satnav. It's also brilliant in meetings where a laptop would be obtrusive.
    If you have a couple of 'killer apps' on your tablet (mine's a Nexus 7), the tablet soon becomes indispensable.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my nexus 7.

I take it to work quite often, and use my mifi as a wi fi hot spot.

Absolutely brilliant device.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Nexus 7 is my alarm clock. It's also used for browsing and watching Netflix in bed. In the kitchen I use it to read recipes as the superior battery life allows me to leave the screen on for enough time to do most things without having to interact with it. The Nexus 5 is my go to device in my car for streaming music, sending messages at work etc.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my tablet most days - usually for catching up with tv in bed.

I still use my laptop loads and use it more than the tablet.
  • Options
    MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my laptop for writing essays and uni stuff, then transfer all my files to my ipad mini for revising and studying on the go, and for general browsing and reading. All my text books are on my ipad. The mini is the perfect size for me for both carrying around, and holding comfortably. I have a 10 inch Galaxy Tab which is not used very often these days, I might take it to uni (it has a blutetooth keyboard cover which is really useful) when my bag is loaded up and putting my laptop in would be too heavy.

I am finding it is my phone (HTC One, 4.7 inch screen) I use less and less these days - when skyping, I use my tablet, when texting, I use my tablet.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to add a couple of caveats,

1- my wife has a kindle which she uses all the time, brilliant book replacement as it can be read in bright sunlight.

2- The surface pro is a proper computer, so it is a useful tool.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since updating to a Galaxy Note 3 recently, my iPad and Hudl are never used by myself, although my step-son uses the Hudl all the time while the iPad gets looked at perhaps once a week by the wife.

I love tablets, love the whole idea of them, so having a phone that's almost a tablet was ideal for me, can't fault the experience.

:) Mark
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a cheap Chinese 7" Android tablet, that gets used occasionally. Mostly used for light web browsing & sending the occasional text message, but also handy for XBMC etc. Also I can use it to access TV channels from my Motorized Satellite Dish, via UPnP. I recently lent it to my mother, to watch a movie on the TV in her bedroom.

I also have a Blackberry Playbook. This gets more regular usage - I use it for some occasional web browsing & for checking E-Mail, whilst my mother borrows it a fair bit for Games, Puzzles, Quiz apps etc - though she also has her own 7" tablet too, which doubles as an E-Reader for her.

The Playbook has fairly decent hardware, but is let down immensely by an absolutely terrible operating system. Playbook OS is rubbish and considering that 99% of all the apps I run on it are Android apps, then BB10 (if only) or plain Android would make this tablet 100 times more useful. Alas, it's dead technology now, so will have to suffice in it's present form, fingers crossed in the vain hope someday somebody will manage to hack it!

So Tablets can be quite useful, but they're certainly not a replacement for a Laptop or proper PC. More like a more useable alternative to a mobile phone.
  • Options
    TangledNemoTangledNemo Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas in 2012. I found it quite slow and really restrictive app wise, so it hardly got used after I bought an iPhone. I did start using it again for reading on the way to my new job but then it broke, so now it definitely sits gathering dust.

I replaced that with an iPad Mini and I definitely get a lot more use out of it, especially going to work. I still use the laptop occasionally though.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I kinda wonder what reasons people might have originally had for buying a tablet that means they've found them so unable to fulfil the intended roles?

Personally, I knew a lot of people who were "apple fanboys" around the time when the iPad was released and so I took all the "ZOMG! this will change the face of computing forever!!!" with a large pinch of salt.

Thing is, you've got to take the time to think, for yourself, about the benefits that such a device might offer to you.

For me, a tablet isn't really "critical" for anything but it just kinda lies on my coffee table and acts like a "ladybird book of everything".
    I don't think I watch a show on TV without, at some point, picking up the tablet to google an actor or some subject that's been mentioned on the show, I use it to see what's in the news instead of reading a newspaper, it let's me know I've got email and gives me the chance to cull the spam before moving to a proper PC to answer any mail that's important, it's got a few games on it which is kinda like having one of those puzzle-books on the coffee-table and it's also got a squillion old editions of 2000AD on it which are fun to leaf though during potty breaks.

None of it is a truly, uniquely, important necessity but I'd rather have it than not.

Only thing that'd really make it perfect would be for somebody to invent some kind of self-adhesive cordless-charging pad that you could stick to the underside of the coffee table so all your phones and tablets and junk would charge while they're laying there.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I kinda wonder what reasons people might have originally had for buying a tablet that means they've found them so unable to fulfil the intended roles?

Personally, I knew a lot of people who were "apple fanboys" around the time when the iPad was released and so I took all the "ZOMG! this will change the face of computing forever!!!" with a large pinch of salt.

Thing is, you've got to take the time to think, for yourself, about the benefits that such a device might offer to you.

For me, a tablet isn't really "critical" for anything but it just kinda lies on my coffee table and acts like a "ladybird book of everything".
    I don't think I watch a show on TV without, at some point, picking up the tablet to google an actor or some subject that's been mentioned on the show, I use it to see what's in the news instead of reading a newspaper, it let's me know I've got email and gives me the chance to cull the spam before moving to a proper PC to answer any mail that's important, it's got a few games on it which is kinda like having one of those puzzle-books on the coffee-table and it's also got a squillion old editions of 2000AD on it which are fun to leaf though during potty breaks.

None of it is a truly, uniquely, important necessity but I'd rather have it than not.

Only thing that'd really make it perfect would be for somebody to invent some kind of self-adhesive cordless-charging pad that you could stick to the underside of the coffee table so all your phones and tablets and junk would charge while they're laying there.

Maybe one day! We already have Qi inductive charging for some devices where you just leave your phone on a Qi mat to charge.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Those sort of things are available now, maybe not that widespread, but they are available.

In one of our offices, the coffee shop/restaurant has wireless charging tables. If you have a compatible device (or a suitable charging cover), you can just drop the phone on the table and it'll charge.

I'm wanting to get a bluetooth & QI deskstand/speaker for my 1020. Drop the phone on the top, it'll charge. Pair it via bluetooth and it'll charge and play music via A2DP. Just need one with a remote ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Those sort of things are available now, maybe not that widespread, but they are available.

In one of our offices, the coffee shop/restaurant has wireless charging tables. If you have a compatible device (or a suitable charging cover), you can just drop the phone on the table and it'll charge.

I'm wanting to get a bluetooth & QI deskstand/speaker for my 1020. Drop the phone on the top, it'll charge. Pair it via bluetooth and it'll charge and play music via A2DP. Just need one with a remote ....

It is Qi pronounced "chee" apparently! I wonder if they will call it that in Currys or call it "QI" as in the Stephen Fry TV show. :D
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    It is Qi pronounced "chee" apparently! I wonder if they will call it that in Currys or call it "QI" as in the Stephen Fry TV show. :D

I had never considered how it was pronounced. I had assumed it was queue eye.

Doesn't look like there are any Qi/NFC/bluetooth speaker docks that also have a remote. No need for a clock, the 1020 with the sleeping screen can do that job quite nicely. Remote would be handy for late night lights out podcast or audio book listening; having to fiddle around for the phones controls is a little clumsy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had never considered how it was pronounced. I had assumed it was queue eye.

Doesn't look like there are any Qi/NFC/bluetooth speaker docks that also have a remote. No need for a clock, the 1020 with the sleeping screen can do that job quite nicely. Remote would be handy for late night lights out podcast or audio book listening; having to fiddle around for the phones controls is a little clumsy.

Yes I thought it was pronounced that way too until I read about it today on Wikipedia!
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of my windows laptop and bought a top end android tablet. I have never looked back. I don't understand why anybody would use a laptop these days other than maybe for documents and work. The way things are going laptops will be gradually phased out and replaced by high end tablets. On a side note I hate windows and find android so much simpler.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I use the tablet to browse the internet when I am watching tv now that I don't have an iphone any more. It's lighter than the laptop and the laptop gets hot after a while.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    ACL777 wrote: »
    I got rid of my windows laptop and bought a top end android tablet. I have never looked back. I don't understand why anybody would use a laptop these days other than maybe for documents and work. The way things are going laptops will be gradually phased out and replaced by high end tablets. On a side note I hate windows and find android so much simpler.

I find the bigger screen on a laptop/desktop probably the main advantage. Looking around lot so of sites when looking for something is a pain on a tablet.

Also use a desktop PC for gaming.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the US, Starbucks and McDonalds are starting to introduce charging pads too. The biggest problem at the moment for wireless charging is that there are several different standards.
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I find the bigger screen on a laptop/desktop probably the main advantage. Looking around lot so of sites when looking for something is a pain on a tablet.

Also use a desktop PC for gaming.

I understand a better gaming experience can be had on a PC. I'm a PS4 man though.