Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rightly or wrongly, I don't think BBC Four are going to reinstate DLT's shows at any point in the next few years, and nothing is going to make them change their minds. I fear that if people kick up too much of a fuss over this, it's more likely to make them decide that this repeat run is more trouble than it's worth, and drop the repeats altogether.

I'd rather have a repeat run with some episodes missed out than no repeats at all.

Well I for one am sick of the BBC so called morals.

No only with TOTP but also classic shows they edit to bits as content made in the day is no longer "suitable" for today's audience.

Toeing the Political Correctness line by editing out sexist comments and words such as P**i from repeats of popular shows. The BBC cannot understand that this was the attitude at the time and you can't change history but you can edit repeats to the disgust of many.

Only fools in a good example. Cut in numerous episodes when Del and others mutter the P**i word, if people are offended then don't watch but don't ruin it for the rest of us who see it as a light hearted joke as part of the narrative of the episode.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Well I for one am sick of the BBC so called morals.

No only with TOTP but also classic shows they edit to bits as content made in the day is no longer "suitable" for today's audience.

Toeing the Political Correctness line by editing out sexist comments and words such as P**i from repeats of popular shows. The BBC cannot understand that this was the attitude at the time and you can't change history but you can edit repeats to the disgust of many.

Only fools in a good example. Cut in numerous episodes when Del and others mutter the P**i word, if people are offended then don't watch but don't ruin it for the rest of us who see it as a light hearted joke as part of the narrative of the episode.

No doubt after yesterdays verdict they will edit out the bit where Del smacks a girl on the bum then asks her out. Rodney tries it later and gets a smack in the face for it.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rightly or wrongly, I don't think BBC Four are going to reinstate DLT's shows at any point in the next few years, and nothing is going to make them change their minds. I fear that if people kick up too much of a fuss over this, it's more likely to make them decide that this repeat run is more trouble than it's worth, and drop the repeats altogether.

I'd rather have a repeat run with some episodes missed out than no repeats at all.

I agree.

It's time for people to accept no Travis episodes will be shown and move on.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    No doubt after yesterdays verdict they will edit out the bit where Del smacks a girl on the bum then asks her out.

... while happily screening things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gr9hfOdnBk
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »

Can we get together a mass signed letter of protest to request the BBC re-instate DLT editions?

?

Yes - stick my name on!

The irony is DLT was only found guilty of one case years after he was on TOTP - so why connect him to it? TOTP is unrelated as far as I can see! :(
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yes - stick my name on!

The irony is DLT was only found guilty of one case years after he was on TOTP - so why connect him to it? TOTP is unrelated as far as I can see! :(

I could not agree more:confused:>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Yes - stick my name on!

It's very much like the Salem Witch Trials. The BBC is so left wing now it hurts. Nothing could have saved DLT in the hysterical post Saville reaction that continues to ride roughshod (but only over white male celebrities of course). Aunty, like the majority of the epicene powers that be in this benighted country in the last twenty years, has become a joyless, box ticking corporation with no spine where all that matters is pandering to minorities and hand wringing on the back of ill informed post colonial guilt at the expense of the majority. They hate white provincials.

The smug Metropolitan elite have helped to decide that a man who touches a woman's breasts is worthy of jail while thousands of non white child sex abusers go scot free,

We are the only country in the world that hate its own kind. God help us, because noone else will.
    Forum Member
    Canalboy wrote: »
    It's very much like the Salem Witch Trials. The BBC is so left wing now it hurts. Nothing could have saved DLT in the hysterical post Saville reaction that continues to ride roughshod (but only over white male celebrities of course). Aunty, like the majority of the epicene powers that be in this benighted country in the last twenty years, has become a joyless, box ticking corporation with no spine where all that matters is pandering to minorities and hand wringing on the back of ill informed post colonial guilt at the expense of the majority. They hate white provincials.

The smug Metropolitan elite have helped to decide that a man who touches a woman's breasts is worthy of jail while thousands of non white child sex abusers go scot free,

We are the only country in the world that hate its own kind. God help us, because noone else will.

Sadly true ! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Sadly true ! :(

I still love TOTP though Ursula, just like all of us on here! Well, at leat I do until about 1985.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the way DLT has been plastered all over the papers claiming he faces prison as if he's the next Jimmy Saville. All he's been convicted of is groping a woman! What has it come to? :(
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member

Don't worry, when the Westminster chums start chucking rockets round Syria & Iraq (again), we can be safe in the knowledge that virtually the rest of the World will hate us all over again, and the BBC will still not show any DLT episodes.

....and Jimmy Savile remains dead.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not going to comment on the outcome of the trial but I can't see that not showing DLT TOTPs is anything to do with the BBC being 'left wing'. Surely it's fear of the outcry in the right-wing Daily Mail and its ilk should they show a DLT edition that inhibits them from doing so.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Close the Daily Mail down.

But would that solve any problems?
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I hate the way DLT has been plastered all over the papers claiming he faces prison as if he's the next Jimmy Saville. All he's been convicted of is groping a woman! What has it come to? :(

Oh, well that's the worst part of it, isn't it? If he'd just touched up a kid then all this would be justified. Touching a woman in an inappropriate way should obviously be dismissed and everyone should feel totally fine about that. It's been at the back of my mind but now it's clear to me that my breasts are easy pickings for men folk. Grabbing them and giving them a rub without so much as a by your leave is just a ridiculous thing to complain about because it's a normal thing to do.

See what I realise now, with this view that DLT was simply convicted of groping a woman, is that it's all her fault. She just shouldn't have let him do it and then she wouldn't have felt uncomfortable. After all, he's someone who says he's cuddly with people which of course translates as, 'I like to touch people so deal with it whether you like it or not.'

What people, perhaps the jury, and DLT himself may have struggled with was the term 'assault'. Assault conjures up physical harm or injury within an incident. This is why some who saw the clip from TOTP, which clearly showed DLT grab a young woman at the top of her thigh/bottom area with some force (and which was cited in court as an example of his opportunistic behaviour), as too tame to be considered as an assault. This is why his case has been mired in the grey area of what is acceptable and what is not. I would say that incident was unacceptable but not go as far to call it assault. I would categorise it as physical harassment, however the law doesn't quite stretch to this aspect in terms of seeking conviction. All the cases were put under the umbrella of sexual or indecent assault and this is why some of the evidence didn't quite reach people's (most importantly, the jury's) perceptions of what they consider to be assault. Just because DLT was found not guilty of assault, it doesn't mean he didn't touch some women inappropriately. Forget about comparing him to other people either charged or not charged with predatory sex acts, it's clear - given the pattern of evidence heard in court (and the one example caught on camera) - that he at the very least touched a number of women in a way they did not either like, want or give permission for. In that regard I have no sympathy for him.

The idea that, "All he's been convicted of is groping a woman!" as if it doesn't matter is deeply offensive.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, well that's the worst part of it, isn't it? If he'd just touched up a kid then all this would be justified. Touching a woman in an inappropriate way should obviously be dismissed and everyone should feel totally fine about that. It's been at the back of my mind but now it's clear to me that my breasts are easy pickings for men folk. Grabbing them and giving them a rub without so much as a by your leave is just a ridiculous thing to complain about because it's a normal thing to do.

See what I realise now, with this view that DLT was simply convicted of groping a woman, is that it's all her fault. She just shouldn't have let him do it and then she wouldn't have felt uncomfortable. After all, he's someone who says he's cuddly with people which of course translates as, 'I like to touch people so deal with it whether you like it or not.'

What people, perhaps the jury, and DLT himself may have struggled with was the term 'assault'. Assault conjures up physical harm or injury within an incident. This is why some who saw the clip from TOTP, which clearly showed DLT grab a young woman at the top of her thigh/bottom area with some force (and which was cited in court as an example of his opportunistic behaviour), as too tame to be considered as an assault. This is why his case has been mired in the grey area of what is acceptable and what is not. I would say that incident was unacceptable but not go as far to call it assault. I would categorise it as physical harassment, however the law doesn't quite stretch to this aspect in terms of seeking conviction. All the cases were put under the umbrella of sexual or indecent assault and this is why some of the evidence didn't quite reach people's (most importantly, the jury's) perceptions of what they consider to be assault. Just because DLT was found not guilty of assault, it doesn't mean he didn't touch some women inappropriately. Forget about comparing him to other people either charged or not charged with predatory sex acts, it's clear - given the pattern of evidence heard in court (and the one example caught on camera) - that he at the very least touched a number of women in a way they did not either like, want or give permission for. In that regard I have no sympathy for him.

The idea that, "All he's been convicted of is groping a woman!" as if it doesn't matter is deeply offensive.

I agree with this to a great degree. Without a doubt DLT is typical of the sleazebags and slimeballs that many of us were expected to put up with in the late decades of the 20th century. But that's the point, groping and copping a sly feel weren't seen as assault then, and as a result these men thought that they were within their rights chancing their arm. We dealt with them by avoiding them or (to paraphrase DLT himself) by kneeing them in the goolies.

While I despise and detest these men, I don't think it's realistic or fair to drag them into court over "offences" committed way back then. DLT and his ilk should NOT have still been trying it on in more recent years though - they should have learned that it was viewed more seriously in 2000 than it was in 1976, and was unacceptable.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good post and I agree with you.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree totally. Im shocked that anyone would say "all he did was........." and therfore inply that it wasnt that serious.

The BBC were never going to show anything with DLT in once he was convicted. My gripe is with the BBC who could easily edit DLT out of the episodes and keep everyone happy, yet by simply banning the episodes from being shown it just penalises loyal fans who simply want it watch it for the music.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    The BBC are so hypocritical, they are happy to employ a convicted murderer in one of their soaps, yet a man who goosed a woman is airbrushed out of existence, reinstate the DLT episodes, BBC, you have gone too far.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all ;-) It's back.... and about time :D
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    I agree totally. Im shocked that anyone would say "all he did was........." and therfore inply that it wasnt that serious.

The BBC were never going to show anything with DLT in once he was convicted. My gripe is with the BBC who could easily edit DLT out of the episodes and keep everyone happy, yet by simply banning the episodes from being shown it just penalises loyal fans who simply want it watch it for the music.

Great post, music lovers are getting the worst of both worlds...

The beeb are running scared as their Royal Charter is up for renewal & they don't want to be seen in a bad light post-Savile, therefore are effectively walking on eggshells to avoid any bad news which the Corporation may be seen in a bad light...

They do seem to be the architects of their own downfall through actions like the bodged Cliff raid etc.

Problem is, the Daily Fail and their chums know they're running scared, and along with the Murdock mafia smell blood & are quite happy to exploit it to the max, as it will pave the way for them to increase their "market share" of either sales of newspapers or Skyboxes as the beeb brand is slowly eroded...

Meanwhile, Jimmy Savile remains quite dead.....
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Well anyway...

Tonight's Top Of The Pops not only returns after quite a long hiatus but this particular edition is the very one aired the week I was born.

Yep. I was born on the 4th September (Tuesday), the show was recorded on the 5th (Wednesday), and it was broadcast on the 6th...which was Thursday, by the way.

So tonight is my...slightly delayed...birthday show.

*pops a party popper*

Yaaaaay!
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like I put my foot in it again! I'm sorry if I caused you offense. I'm not saying that it's okay he groped a woman, I just don't think it's fair comparing him to Jimmy Saville. I'm also peed off about the beeb not showing us his episodes when there's people shown on tele who have done a lot worse than that in the past >:(
    Forum Member
    Well anyway...

Tonight's Top Of The Pops not only returns after quite a long hiatus but this particular edition is the very one aired the week I was born.

Yep. I was born on the 4th September (Tuesday), the show was recorded on the 5th (Wednesday), and it was broadcast on the 6th...which was Thursday, by the way.

*pops a party popper*

Yaaaaay!

Many happy returns!

Tremendous show by all accounts, and you get Peter Powell's enthusiasm too....

Result!
    Forum Member
    Well anyway...

*pops a party popper*

Yaaaaay!

And the last show to be aired was on my birthday too! - 30/08/79 - Cliff will still be at No1!! Wonder if they'll keep him in!! :(
  • FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'vening all, long time no see.

Have I missed anything? ;-)