Amazon Prime

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
I use Amazon a lot and today I went onto my Barclaycard account and I noticed that they had taken £79 from me. I had not ordered anything recently but I noticed the tranasction said Amazon Prime. So I investigated and it seemed I had a Amazon Prime account. Now I cancelled this and it said I will be refunded.

I am trying to remember how I ended up with this. I think I clicked a option to have a free trial but I assumed this would end after 30 days and then I would have to sign up properly.

Comments

• QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon will charge your card if you don't cancel after your 30 day free trial ends. I signed up for Amazon Prime earlier on this year and made sure I cancelled a few days before the 30 days were up. I think a lot of companies that offer free trials make it clear when you sign up that your card will be charged if you don't cancel once the free trial ends.
  • Simon_Morris2Simon_Morris2 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    These companies can be sneaky you presume it will finish after the free trial
    But the onus is on the consumer to cancel it themselves
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    Amazon will charge your card if you don't cancel after your 30 day free trial ends. I signed up for Amazon Prime earlier on this year and made sure I cancelled a few days before the 30 days were up. I think a lot of companies that offer free trials make it clear when you sign up that your card will be charged if you don't cancel once the free trial ends.

I must admit that I dont remember Amazon making this very clear and it does seem that others have been in the same boat as me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/subscribe_and_save_discussions?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2H8F4YOF1PFEU&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=TxRCTELSURHU65
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, it's up to you to cancel the trial after the 30 days is up. It's like that with a lot of "free" trials these days, if you don't cancel, the company will charge you. Netflix is another example.

£79 is a lot for Amazon Prime (even though they've added their video streaming service), I wish it'd go back to being separate as I was totally willing to spend £49/year (I think it was) for a years worth of one day delivery service. That being said, I do still have prime - but the Student version. :kitty:
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After checking back through my orders I realised how I got signed up. I took an option of a free next day delivery on an item. That automatically signed me up to Amazon prime and started a free trial. It does seem that a lot of people have been caught out by that free one day delivery option.
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for anyone else reading this and thinking about taking on the free trial, you can cancel your sign up immediately you join the trial period. You can do this by just going to your account info. If you do it straight away you won't forget.
    Unless of course you intend to carry on with it.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair most companies do highlight the need to cancel. In the olden days of "free insurance" on phones used to have such conditions buried in the small print, and it caught a lot of people out.

My issues is that although the need to cancel is often clear, companies do it knowing that that a great deal of he customers will end up paying it despite not wanting to. I know the DS armchair business men (watched two or more episodes of the apprentice), will be shouting "Its clear,, Its legal, all is fair in business!! END OF!!!>:(. However my personal morality regards it as questionable.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for anyone else reading this and thinking about taking on the free trial, you can cancel your sign up immediately you join the trial period. You can do this by just going to your account info. If you do it straight away you won't forget.
    Unless of course you intend to carry on with it.

Yes, that last bit is most important. It made me smile :)
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    After checking back through my orders I realised how I got signed up. I took an option of a free next day delivery on an item. That automatically signed me up to Amazon prime and started a free trial. It does seem that a lot of people have been caught out by that free one day delivery option.

Have you used the Prime service since they took the £79? If you haven't used it, contact them and ask for it to be cancelled and to refund you. They were happy to do this a few months ago when I had done the same as you.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took up the Amazon Prime free trial and forgot to cancel it.

As long as you've not ordered anything and used it since the end of the free month's trial you just click on the tab to cancel and they refund your money without any questions.

You can then sign up for another free trial if you want to...
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Have you used the Prime service since they took the £79? If you haven't used it, contact them and ask for it to be cancelled and to refund you. They were happy to do this a few months ago when I had done the same as you.

You beat me to it!! :)
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Yes, that last bit is most important. It made me smile :)

I know, it made me smile when I wrote it :)
  • SmoojSmooj Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very clear when I opted for the free trial. that you had to explicitly cancel. Like most people, I used it to get free delivery on an item quickly. I didn't actually realise when I did it that prime gives you a load of movies and tv to stream online as well, so once I'd factored in that and the continued free delivery, I decided to stay with it. I feel like it's been good value actually given how many movies and tv series I've watched since I joined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I signed up and got a Brazilian transformer :confused:
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I use Amazon a lot and today I went onto my Barclaycard account and I noticed that they had taken £79 from me. I had not ordered anything recently but I noticed the tranasction said Amazon Prime. So I investigated and it seemed I had a Amazon Prime account. Now I cancelled this and it said I will be refunded.

I am trying to remember how I ended up with this. I think I clicked a option to have a free trial but I assumed this would end after 30 days and then I would have to sign up properly.

It is very rare for these temporary free periods to just be cancelled. Now TV, Netflix are the same. If you look at the terms it is clear that they will charge you if it is not cancelled at the end of the period.

Personally I find the delivery couriers to be dreadful - they have yet to successfully deliver any parcels to me on time - but I am paying for access to Amazon Prime - which is worth it. Not bought any Blu-rays since starting it. Then things like Black Sails and seen some good films for 'free'.