Anyone got fears/concerns about Capaldi?

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Unless he can do some charm I fear he's going to alienate a lot of the fanbase. His intro - with his thick shouty Scots accent - didn't help. And without wishing to be ageist, well, he looks kinda old for Nu Era Doctor Who. Going from young Matt Smith to spooky eyes Capaldi seems quite a stretch!

And is the relationship between a much older Doctor and Clara going to work or just seem a bit weird? It feels out of place. I'd rather they introduced a new assistant to work with Capaldi's Doctor rather than keep Clara.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    None whatsoever.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a quick reply!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    :D

I just think he will a breath of fresh air and enthusiasm for the role, he is as massive a fan as DT was, and that can only be a good thing.

Of course there will be shallow 'fans' who bemoan his age, and that he isnt a 'pretty little boy' but he is perfect for the role. I am hopign he will be manic, dark, and lively :)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. I don't see the point of worrying about whether he'll be good or not until I see him in action properly.
    Admittedly I found his first scene a bit boring (at least compared to Matt's first scene), but I don't think I can make any sort of prediction based on that scene alone.

If Moffat can pull off an episode as fantastic as The Eleventh Hour, I will be immensely happy.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Unless he can do some charm I fear he's going to alienate a lot of the fanbase. His intro - with his thick shouty Scots accent - didn't help. And without wishing to be ageist, well, he looks kinda old for Nu Era Doctor Who. Going from young Matt Smith to spooky eyes Capaldi seems quite a stretch!

And is the relationship between a much older Doctor and Clara going to work or just seem a bit weird? It feels out of place. I'd rather they introduced a new assistant to work with Capaldi's Doctor rather than keep Clara.

I'm afraid it's just you! Back in August when the announcement was first made, you started several different threads all criticising the appointment of Capaldi.

The bottom-line is we won't know how Capaldi fares until we've seen him in a few episodes. In the meantime though, given he's an award-winning popular actor, I have every reason to anticipate him being an excellent doctor.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt had a lot of quirky charm and my concern is Capaldi might seem a bit dull by comparison. I agree about Capaldi's entrance - bit boring. Rather flat.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi is Baker/McCoy all over again.

Already I have seen feedback from DW's important main fans and they have not taken to Capaldi at all.

I expect 2014 will be the last series, at least for a multi-year hiatus.

Oh, and MOFFAT out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »

Already I have seen feedback from DW's important main fans and they have not taken to Capaldi at all.

Oh, and MOFFAT out!

Bollocks.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might be a good opportunity to return to a more avuncular Doctor and to concentrate on decent story lines and get away from all the romance angles that have dogged the new, younger Doctors since the relaunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt had a lot of quirky charm and my concern is Capaldi might seem a bit dull by comparison. I agree about Capaldi's entrance - bit boring. Rather flat.

So unless someone has "quirky charm", they're competitively dull??

Nonsense! There are a huge range of different personality traits that the doctor has shown over the decades.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I think it might be a good opportunity to return to a more avuncular Doctor and to concentrate on decent story lines and get away from all the romance angles that have dogged the new, younger Doctors since the relaunch.

That is not what 10 year olds want.

And that is not what sells toys.

If DW becomes more serious like Torchwood, the main DW fans will stop watching and merchandise sales will suffer.

The show does not have long to go now. MOFFAT is on his way to Trenzalore.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main issue with Capaldi is he feels like a very safe choice to me following Matt who wasn't a safe choice at all. He was very refreshing, very different and Capaldi seems like taking a step backwards. However he is a great actor so I've no doubt he'll be good in the role. I just worry that with Moffat still on board the same old problems will remain (he REALLY can't write satisfying emotion and throws away too many character opportunities) and Capaldi, under Moffat, will fall a little flat.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, and MOFFAT out!

Are the important main fans academics? ;-)
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no issues with Capaldi. The show won't become more 'serious like torchwood'. It will just be different. I'm guessing they'll bring in a boyfriend for Clara and it'll be a dynamic with the three.

There will still be a few wacky moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is not what 10 year olds want.

And that is not what sells toys.

If DW becomes more serious like Torchwood, the main DW fans will stop watching and merchandise sales will suffer.

The show does not have long to go now. MOFFAT is on his way to Trenzalore.

Complete nonsense.
    Children will put up with a lot more than you think. So long as the Doctor is fighting monsters, children will still watch.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr who is about change. If we had the young man running around like a mad professor every regeneration it would get tiring very quickly.
    A change of pace is good. I'm looking forward to Capaldi and i'm not going to judge him on a few seconds..give him a few episodes first.
    The same was said about Tennant replacing Ecceleston and about Smith replacing Tennant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    My main issue with Capaldi is he feels like a very safe choice to me following Matt who wasn't a safe choice at all. He was very refreshing, very different and Capaldi seems like taking a step backwards. However he is a great actor so I've no doubt he'll be good in the role. I just worry that with Moffat still on board the same old problems will remain (he REALLY can't write satisfying emotion and throws away too many character opportunities) and Capaldi, under Moffat, will fall a little flat.

Funny you should say he's a safe choice, considering that others on the thread seem to think the exact opposite. It just shows that Moffat and the production team can't win, whatever they do!

I'd be interested to know why you think Capaldi is a safe choice?? He's very different from the previous two incarnations.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, and MOFFAT out!
    Capaldi is a far better actor then C Baker/McCoy ever was. Who are these important DW fans you talk about? Did these same fans boycott the show when Tennant left? I think Capaldi will be a great Doctor and cannot wait to see him when the show starts next Autumn.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure we can really be worried until we see him fully take on the role. Which we will not see for quite a while, no need to worry until we've seen him in a few episodes.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Capaldi is a far better actor then C Baker/McCoy ever was. Who are these important DW fans you talk about? Did these same fans boycott the show when Tennant left? I think Capaldi will be a great Doctor and cannot wait to see him when the show starts next Autumn.

"I've never met anyone who wasn't important."

But fair enough, academics are more important than most. Including myself. :kitty: :p

Edit: Badly worded, I meant the important (and academic) fans are better than me. I am definitely not an 'important' fan or remotely academic. So I agree with Clackers. ;-)
  • davebtdavebt Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Not worried at all. Looking forward to it. The show is stronger than it has ever been. Nu who's best days are still to come.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to worry about Capaldi and charm.

Stop replying to Clackers.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

This is ridiculous.

The man has been onscreen for what? Ten seconds?

Why not give the guy a chance instead of being so shallow?

It's time an older actor was the Doctor. So the teenies won't sigh and wish to have his babies - so what?
  • Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member

Oh, and MOFFAT out!

You sir win, far fetched, hysterical ranting of the highest order!!

Totally baseless and without any hint of truth or grounding in reality, but still hats off to you.

I have just a few questions for you, who are these " DW's important main fans" that you speak of?

Have you,or they( DW's important main fans) seen anything on screen, that the rest of us have not had the privilege of seeing so far?

myself(33yr old, male) and my son (11yr old)would consider ourselves to be " DW's important main fans", are we wrong?

other than the bbc having a personnel grudge against the show,so kept slashing the budget and moving the show around the different timeslots,what was wrong with the Backer/Mcoy era?
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

Oh, and MOFFAT out!

Please grow up.