Options

The Chase (ITV) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    She had the cheek to laugh when made a comment about her not having made a contribution.

*when Mark made
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake is one of the best players I have seen on The Chase. He easily beat Mark in his chase. The slight negative is that he went home with 10.5k - it could have been a lot more than that.

No idea what Lesley was doing in the final chase, she just stood there like a statue.
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    Who would like to see the introduction of a new Chaser for the next series, either as an addition or replacement.

If you would like a new chaser would you prefer it to be an addition or replacement and if so, who would you replace?

Wouldn't mind a 5th chaser - but an addition - definitely not a replacement. I know Shaun is having a dodgy patch - but his personality makes him very entertaining.
  • Options
    Beenie2Beenie2 Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Who said it was rigged? Funny how this always comes up when a certain favourite chaser don't win a game. Chasers are not expected to win every single game in an episode.

I made my comment in response to someone who said Mark was 'throwing' questions i.e. deliberately giving a wrong answer.
  • Options
    DONTBANMEDONTBANME Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    There is no such thing as being "on form" in a quiz, you either know the answer or you don't!!
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Mark got an asnwer wrong during the 40k chase that I thought was quite dodgy (not the harmonium question)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Anyone else wish to comment on my opinion that The Chase should air all year round? When's this current series going to end?
    Addition. 5 Chasers = One for each day, and it can finally make the Eggheads VS Chasers happen plausibly. :) No replacements needed, really. :)

I think that there should be an addition, to make it so we see either chase one episode a week. I've always thought it's weird how there are 4 Chasers yet 5 episodes a week (It was even strange when there were 3 for 5 episodes).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I was Lesley then I'd be embarrassed at how pathetic I was compared to Jake.

Lesley played it right according to the rules.

There was 40 odd thousand in the pot and she wanted 25% of it !!!!
  • Options
    ScrumperScrumper Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PWSJohn wrote: »
    Anyone else wish to comment on my opinion that The Chase should air all year round? When's this current series going to end?

Would prefer Chase to some stupid cooking programme.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first and only time I ever put this on, I thought it was going to be the rather excellent film with Michael Sheen and a very funny cameo from Henry Rollins as a dumb traffic cop. I've been disappointed ever since.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did lesley go -3. the team got 42 in total, or 10.5 each

so if she had plus 3, the team ended with 48, or 12 each.

not a great deal of difference.

maybe there should be a payout weighting to favour the amount the player puts in.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beenie2 wrote: »
    I made my comment in response to someone who said Mark was 'throwing' questions i.e. deliberately giving a wrong answer.

Sorry, I wasn't implying you were making the claim of 'rigging' which I don't believe has ever occurred in any episode of TC. Mark, on this occasion was simply not on form, but it seems to his apparent fans he cannot possibly get any questions wrong and lose a game genuinely,
  • Options
    ScrumperScrumper Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe there should be a payout weighting to favour the amount the player puts in.

You should be chancellor of the exchequer!
  • Options
    Francis_ChuFrancis_Chu Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    There have been a few successful Minus chases in this series, but I do recall one a few weeks ago in that if the contestant didn't take the minus, that contestant would've not made it to the final chase.
  • Options
    DONTBANMEDONTBANME Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Form is for racehorses - not quizzers. Setting aside the harmonium question, subjects like Roman/Greek god equivalents and authors psuedonyms are meat and drink to run of the mill league quizzers - but one of the country's top quizzers gets them wrong. My smelling of a rat halfway through this show proved to be correct.
    Some of the charity shows were 100% rigged and the chasers are willing to make some pretty nasty comments to the contestants, no doubt at the behest of the producers. So I think they would be open to throwing answers should the producers instruct them to.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the smug faces looking miserable when they get beat. Paul Sinha is not very happy, neither Mark !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not denying the possibility of shows being rigged so contestants either do or don't win but I can't discount the fact that even expert chasers bow to pressure. They have a huge bank of knowledge and there must be times when they just cant retrieve it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I would like to know, and I've seen some actual contestants have posted here, so perhaps they could answer this - do you spend any time doing dummy runs?

I ask this because we often hear contestants saying 'you're very knowledgeable, we need you back here for the final chase' when there has been no evidence whatsoever to the viewer - in fact some contestants have done a crappy cash builder.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    What I would like to know, and I've seen some actual contestants have posted here, so perhaps they could answer this - do you spend any time doing dummy runs?

I ask this because we often hear contestants saying 'you're very knowledgeable, we need you back here for the final chase' when there has been no evidence whatsoever to the viewer - in fact some contestants have done a crappy cash builder.:confused:
    I've been on the show (my episode was aired on March 12).

No, you don't spend any time doing dummy runs/rehearsals. You spend a lot of time with the other contestants before the show is filmed. During that time you get to know each a little bit and find out about their quizzing "expertise". Some players have been on other shows which indicates there is a decent level of general knowledge.

The cash builder for me was a bit "rabbit caught in the headlight". The questions come at you quickly and it's easy to get straightforward questions wrong under the pressure. Hence me saying that Ernest Hemingway was an actor :D:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member

I ask this because we often hear contestants saying 'you're very knowledgeable, we need you back here for the final chase' when there has been no evidence whatsoever to the viewer - in fact some contestants have done a crappy cash builder.

As former contestant, (S4 P22) I have to say NO we didn't do dummy runs, or trying each other out on general knowledge. There was a lot of informally-done discussions about the actual mechanics of the show before we went to make up, after that we were put into individual dressing rooms, and then down to the studio. No runs throughs, or trial runs, a few do's and don't's, met Brad, and then straight into the show.

they didnt tell us - wouldn't tell us in fact - who our chaser was until he walked out for the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you both for that info.

It's really good to get a bit of insight - it makes the show more enjoyable.

One other question though: do you really share the cash or does the one who answered most get a bit of a bonus?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing you might not notice until it's mentioned is that when the contestants introduce themselves, they never say "Hi, I'm so-and-so". You are explicitly told not to say "Hi" - in fact they'll do a retake if you do.

It sounds so much better to me, and I wince every time it happens on other quiz shows (which is pretty much every time!) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    there are 24 pages now so this might have already been posted but I think it's absolutely HILARIOUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwGFX5pgXw
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    there are 24 pages now so this might have already been posted but I think it's absolutely HILARIOUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwGFX5pgXw

Definitely - every Chase fan knows that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Thank you both for that info.

It's really good to get a bit of insight - it makes the show more enjoyable.

One other question though: do you really share the cash or does the one who answered most get a bit of a bonus?

You share equally. in my game,in the Cash Builder Contestant 1 put £6K in, Contestant 2 ( me) put £12K in, Contestant 3 put £6K in and Contestant 4 went for the minus offer of -£2K, so we had £22K in the kitty.

I got a cheque for £5500 about a month after recording.
This discussion has been closed.