Options

The Reason England did so poorly

1235»

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I also agree that he took too much notice of the media, but how does that make him a good manager? If anything it just proves the point that he is weak and doesn't have a game plan in mind. Look at Low - he is being destroyed by the papers in Germany, but he takes no notice and puts whatever formation he sees fit on the pitch. It's kind of the other extreme, but at least you can see that he has a vision for his team and doesn't just follow (often misguided) media opinions. Why do we need an England manager? Let's just all take a vote on who should play and be done with it.

it is actually quite funny with you mentioning Germany there as one of the main criticisms hodgson was getting was about playing people out of position. when you look at Germany Low has been playing 4 central defenders , a full back in midfield and 5 midfielders. I know muller has played up front for Bayern but I don't think he is a natural centre forward and that's probably why they are bringing in lewandowski.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    it is actually quite funny with you mentioning Germany there as one of the main criticisms hodgson was getting was about playing people out of position. when you look at Germany Low has been playing 4 central defenders , a full back in midfield and 5 midfielders. I know muller has played up front for Bayern but I don't think he is a natural centre forward and that's probably why they are bringing in lewandowski.

I don't always agree with Low's formations and also find them sometimes odd, but I have immense respect for him because he has absolutely transformed German football and actually got them to be a strong force in international football again after the horrors of the Ribbeck - Voeller era. I have absolutely no respect for Hodgson's work because I don't see that he actually has a vision as to how his team should be or any clue as to what to do when things go wrong. All he does is read what is written in the Metro/Sun/DailyMail and position his players accordingly. He is not a manager in my eyes.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    Lampard wasn't on the team, he didn't get a sniff of football until the glorified lap of shame that made up the last game. Gerrard and Rooney had fine seasons so earned their place, regardless of revisionism.

That's what is wrong with England team selection....a fine season should not mean automatic selection. The job of the England manager is to construct a tournament winning side. That means eleven players coming together and playing in their normal position as a single effective unit.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not automatic selection if they earn their place.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    That's what is wrong with England team selection....a fine season should not mean automatic selection. The job of the England manager is to construct a tournament winning side. That means eleven players coming together and playing in their normal position as a single effective unit.

if it was as simple as that then Germany wouldn't still be in the tournament
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I also agree that he took too much notice of the media, but how does that make him a good manager? If anything it just proves the point that he is weak and doesn't have a game plan in mind. Look at Low - he is being destroyed by the papers in Germany, but he takes no notice and puts whatever formation he sees fit on the pitch. It's kind of the other extreme, but at least you can see that he has a vision for his team and doesn't just follow (often misguided) media opinions. Why do we need an England manager? Let's just all take a vote on who should play and be done with it.

I'm not a Hodgson fan.

My general point was that England tend to fall down in the same areas every World Cup irrespective of who is manager or even who the players are. I think they have deeper problems relating to style and Hodgson is just one very average manager amongst a bunch of very average (and worse) English managers. I think even a top manager would run into problems working with this group of players, the FA, the media and increased scrutiny. Mostly though I think they might be exasperated with the limitations placed on them. I see other national teams playing lots of games before tournaments to try to get a better team understanding but I can't for a second see clubs pushing for anything like that. One massive problem for any manager is that when it comes to getting something done which benefit the national team but hinder the premier league then I'm not so sure that's a fight you would win in England.

I prefer strong managers too but I'm also a realist and I know that the media can influence fans who can influence managers. Sometimes the popular choices work out and sometimes they don't. I'd like to think I wouldn't compromise if it was me but I've never walked in those shoes or felt those pressures so that's presumptuous of me. Maybe if I had 80,000 people yelling at me to put a certain sub on then I'd fold within 10 seconds! :)
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    It's not automatic selection if they earn their place.

It is as far as the Premiership Club Owner/Sponsors, Club Supporters and the Media are concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is these players can pass the ball. They do it in the premiership every week.

The problem was 2 people only in the midfield who were over run. How do people expect the players to do a good job. Watch the difference when the premiership starts. Pirlo would have struggled too and probably played similar as the English pair did.

Only having 2 in the midfield gives the defence problems too, although Cahill actually did well.

If Hodgson really wanted to play Rooney then he should have asked him to work in the middle with Gerrard. I don't normally like playing players out of position but he is one of the best passers of the ball, tackles, holds the ball well. He wouldn't have had the pressure of being the focus to score a goal. Might have had a better game. Midfield may have been a little more tighter.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    It is as far as the Premiership Club Owner/Sponsors, Club Supporters and the Media are concerned.

None of whom matter.