Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    You also mentioned the nine onboard feeds that BBC don't show....
    Yes, but this guy seems to think that they *only* thing they show is the Driver Tracker...
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    the only thing they seem to ever show on the television feeds is the driver tracker

so I think we can forgive the person for missing the online options
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    the only thing they seem to ever show on the television feeds is the driver tracker
    Its always the pits channel they show on the TV Red Button now, Driver tracker hasn't been the sole Red Button feed since early in 2012.

That said Silverstone was the 1st race since China that they have had any of the extra F1 feeds on the Red Button.
  • Options
    AlexanderF1AlexanderF1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Its always the pits channel they show on the TV Red Button now, Driver tracker hasn't been the sole Red Button feed since early in 2012.

That said Silverstone was the 1st race since China that they have had any of the extra F1 feeds on the Red Button.

i wish bbc would combine a few feeds into one. have the timing screen on the left,pitlane feed on the right and have the world feed in a small box somewhere or an onboard feed. the current pitlane feed is alright(you actualy get to see the press conference) but it would be better if we could hear the commentary aswell. back in 09 or 2010 they used the onboard feed which was good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FOM have posted the newsreel from this weeks test session on the app. I suspect we'll see this for any other test sessions from now on.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »

so I think we can forgive the person for missing the online options
    The BBC, unlike Sky, don't have massive amounts of Customer money to spend on capacity needed to host these streams via DTT and Satellite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC, unlike Sky, don't have massive amounts of Customer money to spend on capacity needed to host these streams via DTT and Satellite.
    True. Those 6 red button streams on freesat are only temporary anyway. I wonder if Sky have paid more to get an exclusive on the individual on-boards in the UK too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    FOM have posted the newsreel from this weeks test session on the app. I suspect we'll see this for any other test sessions from now on.

Saw a silent one that had a few cars zooming round and Mr Pirelli, only a few mins long.
    Was not great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Saw a silent one that had a few cars zooming round and Mr Pirelli, only a few mins long.
    Was not great.
    That's it yes. It's designed so the media can talk over the footage when sticking it into their programmes.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Senna has just beem on ITV. Everytime I watch I always have a tear in my eye.

It just hammers home how much safety has improved since then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Senna has just beem on ITV. Everytime I watch I always have a tear in my eye.

It just hammers home how much safety has improved since then.
    I never liked Senna's personality, but the bit (at least in the extended version) where John Bisignano is about to cry is very sad :(

The fatality resulting from Senna's accident was a freak IMO. Ratzenberger's should have had the most effect.

Also, i've just found a longer clip of the drivers briefing scene as used in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt7FxXy_rwQ I still feel the trailer horribly mis-represented the "Best decision is my decision" line, as Balestre let the drivers decide what should be done - Interesting to see that part was left out of the clip I linked though :P Although i'm sure you could combine the two (from the movie & the Youtube link) to get a full version though. I still think the Senna documentary is a biased POS though. I'd rather they showed both sides of his character, and let viewers make up their own mind.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    True. Those 6 red button streams on freesat are only temporary anyway. I wonder if Sky have paid more to get an exclusive on the individual on-boards in the UK too?

No. Available to all.
    The only thing coverage-wise Sky has exclusivity to , is the 5,1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the Senna documentary is a biased POS though. I'd rather they showed both sides of his character, and let viewers make up their own mind.

Don't forget at first, the film was a five hour cut, eventually cut down to 100 minutes, so tough decisions had to be made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Don't forget at first, the film was a five hour cut, eventually cut down to 100 minutes, so tough decisions had to be made.
    Thats true, but Rush shows that you can make a balanced picture without it being over-long. Plus, Richard Williams's comments about Prost in that film were awful...

Also in that interview with Murray Walker that Mario Muth did, I was presently surprised to see him come out in Prost's favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Live Nascar nationwide on Motors TV 8pm tonight, which I'm really enjoying.
    Shame we do not get any live nascar sprint cup on one of the major channels, sky, motors tv, eurosport or bt sport.
    See it is on a channel called Premier on sky, no idea really what that is. A channel that never gets a mention and does not really have anything else on that I would pay £9.99 a month for just for the Nascar, strange.
    Will just keep watching the highlights on bt sport (espn) on a Monday.
    Indy is on in the early hours of Sunday, 1:30am for us, assume its a night race?
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See it is on a channel called Premier on sky, no idea really what that is. A channel that never gets a mention and does not really have anything else on that I would pay £9.99 a month for just for the Nascar, strange.

Never miss Nationwide or Cup, actually prefer Nationwide of the two, usually.
    Subscribed to Premier for a few years, the coverage is pretty good, except for too many ads for Premier which you will only see if you have Premier, so just annoying, would rather just gaps in comms as Motors normally does with Nationwide.
    Its all been said but only real downer with Motors is picture quality, Premier is better but once you seen HD on ESPN it can't be unseen, just eye candy, the bright colours are like racing lsd.
    In comparison on Premier every race is a grey concrete track with grey cars under grey skies. No use complaining on their MyFace or anywhere else - fanboys just pop along with zzzz's. Hence I cancelled, took me about 16 phonecalls and as many threatening e-mails, they kept denying I contacted to cancel, every time it was a saga, but managed it in the end, despite it costing me more than it should just to get rid.
    For this reason I will NEVER subscribe again to Premier even if they have HD.
    Quite content with HD highlights on ESPN and don't want them to lose it, NASCAR Now is a good twice weekly magazine also.
    *Not going to mention their infamous NASCAR season finale which they advertised as free to view then scrambled part way through just to annoy Jp. :D

Re Bernie Says Think Before You Drive isn't it just a chime of the '70s/80s Charley Says public information films - they've just replaced the cat with Bernie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Says
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's it yes. It's designed so the media can talk over the footage when sticking it into their programmes.

:confused: Because they couldn't just fade down or mute the audio themselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    :confused: Because they couldn't just fade down or mute the audio themselves?
    Nooo... Because what if the media want to include some of the audio from that clip in their broadcast...? But don't want some random FOM narrator talking over it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never miss Nationwide or Cup, actually prefer Nationwide of the two, usually.
    Subscribed to Premier for a few years, the coverage is pretty good, except for too many ads for Premier which you will only see if you have Premier, so just annoying, would rather just gaps in comms as Motors normally does with Nationwide.
    Its all been said but only real downer with Motors is picture quality, Premier is better but once you seen HD on ESPN it can't be unseen, just eye candy, the bright colours are like racing lsd.
    In comparison on Premier every race is a grey concrete track with grey cars under grey skies. No use complaining on their MyFace or anywhere else - fanboys just pop along with zzzz's. Hence I cancelled, took me about 16 phonecalls and as many threatening e-mails, they kept denying I contacted to cancel, every time it was a saga, but managed it in the end, despite it costing me more than it should just to get rid.
    For this reason I will NEVER subscribe again to Premier even if they have HD.
    Quite content with HD highlights on ESPN and don't want them to lose it, NASCAR Now is a good twice weekly magazine also.
    *Not going to mention their infamous NASCAR season finale which they advertised as free to view then scrambled part way through just to annoy Jp. :D

Re Bernie Says Think Before You Drive isn't it just a chime of the '70s/80s Charley Says public information films - they've just replaced the cat with Bernie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Says
    Yes, because every single public information film is from Charley Says...
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is the sound on Sky sports F1 HD (and SD) on sky barely even working? Can barely hear it even on HD
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the sound on Sky sports F1 HD (and SD) on sky barely even working? Can barely hear it even on HD

Can't edit but they seem to have fixed it a bit now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »

The British GP F1 replay earlier about 1pm, while switching through the channels.
    Yes it was very low indeed.
    Stopped to view in case it was an interactive replay, it was not :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stopped to view in case it was an interactive replay, it was not :(
    Seems they have totally ditched them now, Not been one since the Sunday afternoon replay for China.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why either - it was the only reason I ever tuned in for a replay, to see things from a different perspective, things I'd missed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sometimes not having a Red Button replay is understandable as they do use those feeds for there other interactive sports coverage. At other times though during session/race replays all thats been shown on the red button feeds is the f1 placeholder videos which are used before/after each feed goes active during the sessions.

I still think they could make more use of those feeds outside of the live sessions as there are so many feeds available to us its impossible to catch everything you would like to during the live coverage.

They should integrate F1 into there event center app. They have there football, Cricket & Rugby coverage as part of that & it allows you to watch things as live with all the stats & facts available to be displayed just as they were for the live coverage.

Its on there website & also on ipad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdoYdcwc5c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPLENgTvPmU

Integrate F1 into that & store all video feeds on there to be watched as live for a week or maybe until the next race weekend or something. If they can do it for there other sports they should be doing it for F1.
This discussion has been closed.