Three unlimited tethering ending 15th this month

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    Im getting the three tethering page when I tether, is there a way around this? :)

What tariff are you on?

You need to be on a tariff that supports tethering for tethering to work.
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Im getting the three tethering page when I tether, is there a way around this? :)

It's really difficult to bypass. Three have it almost fool proof.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member

Pay for a tariff that offers it?
  • mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Pay for a tariff that offers it?

Im getting downgraded back to the one plan because of this issue

for clarity, had one plan could tether no problem, had this because my internet was slow so I used it now and again, aswell as my usual monthly contract with O2. o2 contract was coming to end so thought id move my contract to three, upgraded my one plan sim to monthly.. realised there was no tethering.. now have to revert back to one plan, joy :)
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sphinxy1 wrote: »
    It's really difficult to bypass. Three have it almost fool proof.

It's really not. (Ways around it won't be shared on here)
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    What tariff are you on?

You need to be on a tariff that supports tethering for tethering to work.

?

I've still to put in my one plan sim, so I'm typing this using my PAYG sim tethered to my laptop.

Had that page about 4 times three months ago, ''searched'' for available networks again, reconnected and fine. Have not seen that page since then.
    Forum Member
    heidtheba wrote: »
    ?

I've still to put in my one plan sim, so I'm typing this using my PAYG sim tethered to my laptop.

Had that page about 4 times three months ago, ''searched'' for available networks again, reconnected and fine. Have not seen that page since then.

"Officially" you need to be on a tariff that supports tethering.

Yes there are ways around it but they're not something the average joe would know and not easily do able. Three are actually the best in the UK i'd say at detecting and blocking tethering.

And yes, I still have an old pay as you go SIM that I can tether on as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Officially" you need to be on a tariff that supports tethering.

Yes there are ways around it but they're not something the average joe would know and not easily do able. Three are actually the best in the UK i'd say at detecting and blocking tethering.

And yes, I still have an old pay as you go SIM that I can tether on as well.

Since your on Jabb, what about my earlier q re roaming?

Is it only 2g?
    Forum Member
    Since your on Jabb, what about my earlier q re roaming?

Is it only 2g?

Roaming in the UK?

Yeh it's Orange 2G only. And just calls/texts. No data. Fallback to 2G is fairly limited now compared to say 6 years ago. But it's still there in areas that need it.

As far as I'm aware, Three is the only UK MNO that has a roaming agreement with another network in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roaming in the UK?

Yeh it's Orange 2G only. And just calls/texts. No data. Fallback to 2G is fairly limited now compared to say 6 years ago. But it's still there in areas that need it.

As far as I'm aware, Three is the only UK MNO that has a roaming agreement with another network in the UK.

Orange? Ahh.

Got the Jiayu G4s with 2 sim slots, and was going to stick in an old Voda sim for when I work at another site, but now no point :(

(normally keep the 3 sim 3G only so to stop roaming).

Another q if you don't mind (don't want to clog up threads).....

How big a % of 3's transmitters will be DC enabled by the end of the year? I thought it was 100% but now not so sure.
    Forum Member
    Orange? Ahh.

Got the Jiayu G4s with 2 sim slots, and was going to stick in an old Voda sim for when I work at another site, but now no point :(

(normally keep the 3 sim 3G only so to stop roaming).

Another q if you don't mind (don't want to clog up threads).....

How big a % of 3's transmitters will be DC enabled by the end of the year? I thought it was 100% but now not so sure.

Wait? Why is there no point in putting in a Voda sim?

And in terms of percentage. Well population coverage is due to be over 90% for DC-HSPA+
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait? Why is there no point in putting in a Voda sim?

And in terms of percentage. Well population coverage is due to be over 90% for DC-HSPA+

Population means sod all North of the Wall (c) Game of Thrones.....

And as I have the sim I know the other site is Voda 2G only, hence no point.
    Forum Member
    Population means sod all North of the Wall (c) Game of Thrones.....

And as I have the sim I know the other site is Voda 2G only, hence no point.

But doesn't the second sim slot support 2G only? So you'd only ever get 2G right?

Unless both SIM cards support 3G?

And regarding DC-HSPA+. Three still have the most sites active and the most coverage compared to any other network. And they'll have more by the end of the year. Obviously not all sites, but most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But doesn't the second sim slot support 2G only? So you'd only ever get 2G right?

Unless both SIM cards support 3G?

And regarding DC-HSPA+. Three still have the most sites active and the most coverage compared to any other network. And they'll have more by the end of the year. Obviously not all sites, but most.

You can toggle which sim is the 3G one, but if no Voda 3G I can just have the 3 one and have it set to 'auto', same thing I think???

And 'most' re DC, I am sure a year ago it was touted 100% by end of 2014, this only bothers me as I will be in about the last transmitter changed lol.
    Forum Member
    And 'most' re DC, I am sure a year ago it was touted 100% by end of 2014, this only bothers me as I will be in about the last transmitter changed lol.

Where was this said?

Standard 3G is only supposed to be 99.2% by the end of this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Im getting downgraded back to the one plan because of this issue

for clarity, had one plan could tether no problem, had this because my internet was slow so I used it now and again, aswell as my usual monthly contract with O2. o2 contract was coming to end so thought id move my contract to three, upgraded my one plan sim to monthly.. realised there was no tethering.. now have to revert back to one plan, joy :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you just wrote.

The One Plan includes tethering.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I don't understand what you just wrote.

The One Plan includes tethering.

He upgraded his One Plan SIM Only to a pay monthly plan with 2GB tethering. He then realised that the new plans had 2GB tethering and so reverted to the One Plan SIM Only which includes unlimited tethering which he had originally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He upgraded his One Plan SIM Only to a pay monthly plan with 2GB tethering. He then realised that the new plans had 2GB tethering and so reverted to the One Plan SIM Only which includes unlimited tethering which he had originally.

They let him 'revert to The One Plan Sim only' just because of no unlimited tethering?
  • mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    They let him 'revert to The One Plan Sim only' just because of no unlimited tethering?

Yeah they did, on the phone the sales rep mentioned " 2gb personal hotspot " I never realised that meant tethering, as I had a one plan and then upgraded to a monthly plan for £36, I presumed it had tethering included being twice the cost.. my bad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they did, on the phone the sales rep mentioned " 2gb personal hotspot " I never realised that meant tethering, as I had a one plan and then upgraded to a monthly plan for £36, I presumed it had tethering included being twice the cost.. my bad

That was nice of the Sales rep to downgrade a contract which would cost less for customer satisfaction rather than profit. (Even though it was user error)
    Forum Member
    the phone the sales rep mentioned " 2gb personal hotspot " I never realised that meant tethering,

This is one thing I think Three have got wrong.

Every network calls it tethering.
    Everyone and their mum calls it tethering
    Three used to call it tethering.

Now it's personal hotspot....

It's causing a lot of confusion from what I can see.
    Do a google search for Tethering and you get loads of results from wiki, other networks and standardised articles. Do a search for personal hotspot and you don't get any of that, instead you get a couple of apple forums/guides asking how to activate personal hotspot. This isn't the USA, Personal hotspot isn't a common term here and it's really only associated with iPhones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Three should call it Tethering though they don't use the word 'Unlimited' instead they use the words 'All-you-can-eat'

The word 'Personal Hotspot' was all mentioned on here on this post back in '18th March'

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/03/18/three-make-0800-numbers-free-on-new-pay-monthly-plans/

'There are also some changes to our tethering offering. You’ll hear us talking about Personal Hotspot rather than tethering from now on. With our old plans, using your phone as a Personal Hotspot was only included if you were on The One Plan. So we’re really pleased to let you know that all of our new plans will now include this functionality.'

At least they do explain to the customer what it means it's up to the customer if they read information about what specific terms mean.
    Forum Member
    Three should call it Tethering though they don't use the word 'Unlimited' instead they use the words 'All-you-can-eat'

The word 'Personal Hotspot' was all mentioned on here on this post back in '18th March'

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/03/18/three-make-0800-numbers-free-on-new-pay-monthly-plans/

'There are also some changes to our tethering offering. You’ll hear us talking about Personal Hotspot rather than tethering from now on. With our old plans, using your phone as a Personal Hotspot was only included if you were on The One Plan. So we’re really pleased to let you know that all of our new plans will now include this functionality.'

But all you can eat is synonymous with the word unlimited.
    Personal hotspot isn't really synonymous with the word tethering unless you're a tech guy.

Maybe I'm just complaining for no reason but like I said, it seems needlessly confusing by changing the name of something.

I've even seen on this forum people get confused when personal hotspot is mentioned as they have no idea what it is. Once someone says tethering they know exactly what it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do a google search for Tethering and you get loads of results from wiki, other networks and standardised articles. Do a search for personal hotspot and you don't get any of that, instead you get a couple of apple forums/guides asking how to activate personal hotspot. This isn't the USA, Personal hotspot isn't a common term here and it's really only associated with iPhones.

I only call it tethering because that is the term most of youz guys use :D

I don't tether, I hotspot.

Why?
    Because the laptop is too far away from the phone for a usb cable.

Tether - usb...

Hotspot - no usb......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But all you can eat is synonymous with the word unlimited.
    Personal hotspot isn't really synonymous with the word tethering unless you're a tech guy.

Maybe I'm just complaining for no reason but like I said, it seems needlessly confusing by changing the name of something.

I agree AYCE is a similar word to Unlimited.

Most users are aware that a 'Hotspot' is used within wireless 'tethering'. Honest opinion if a user wasn't aware what 'Tethering or hotspot' was they wouldn't be looking for 'tethering options' and it's clearly written in the terms and conditions of The One Plan ;-

http://www.three.co.uk/ThreePortal/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223590564159&ssbinary=true

'Want to tether?
    If you are on The One Plan contract (handset and SIM) we’re
    happy for you to tether, this means you can connect your
    phone to other devices via USB or WiFi to connect to the
    internet. If you’re not on The One Plan, you can get a Mobile
    Internet Add-on, or a Tethering Add-on. See page 5 for how
    to get one. If you have a Tethering Add-on, this will not work
    in a Feel At Home country'

Clearly uses the word 'tethering'. Personal hotspot only applies to new tariffs but again 'Hotspot' is a obvious term.