Options

Ben - Superstar

Comments

• Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I think he is. Ive loved his voice from day one, especially at boot camp. But then he lost that spark during the live shows at first. Picked it up with MITM, killed it with big band week but tonite the spark was back. I hope it stays til the final. 🙏
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    All the naysayers are probably people who thrive on generic pop, R&B etc. They wouldn't know a good rock voice if it hit them on the head.

Bull. Keep your superiority complex to yourself. I've been heavily into rock and indie for nearly thirty years and Ben sends me to sleep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it could be better for him to lose and get a record deal that specifically suits him as Simon, the show and a lot of the audience of the X Factor have demonstrated that they may not be the best people for him and don't really get him. I'm not bothered about him winning, I just want to finally hear him sing some suitable songs :cool:

Agreed - this is how I've always thought about Ben. I am pleased he is in the final as I've liked him throughout.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Superstar? I like to call him Matt Cardle Part 2
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    The quality of his voice won't be the measure of his success. Plenty of poor vocalists are very successful. Like Olly Murs for example. It depends on the material they get given and the backing they get.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a superstar and Im so happy he has made the final I know people dont want him to win but I want him to win
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben has a great voice very strong rock sound I'd say Ben would sell records but he's better off not winning he'll probably get a record deal off Simon anyway.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been in the bottom 2. Unlike Andrea.

No double entendres intended!
  • Options
    IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Bull. Keep your superiority complex to yourself. I've been heavily into rock and indie for nearly thirty years and Ben sends me to sleep.

Jeez are you serious?. You think people who never listen to rock music, in general, would be likely to appreciate the qualities of a rock singers voice? Can I tell a good rap artist from a bad one? ... no because I never listen to rap music so I couldn't possibly judge the qualities of a good rapper, it all sounds like noise to me, but it doesn't mean they are not good at what they do.

Also how can you possibly judge Ben's ability to be a good rock singer when, bar a couple of exceptions, he has spent the live shows covering pop songs. You can only judge him on the colour and timbre of his voice, which sits very well within sections on the rock genre. Personally I think his voice sits best in the new era folk rock genre similar to James Morrison, Damien Rice and Paulo Nutini.

Is he a Superstar as the title of this post suggests, i guess not as the genre on music he will probably fall into does not tend to create superstars in the true sense of the word. He does, however have a excellent distinctive tone to his voice and he could be a successful recording artist given the right material.

My superiority complex appreciates your opinion based on your '30 years of experience', but I think I prefer my own opinion thanks:p
  • Options
    Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO Ben is a strong singer but Superstar he aint.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see no hope what so ever of Ben being a star let alone a superstar.
  • Options
    ButtonmoonButtonmoon Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He sounds like the lead singer from Reef (place you hands band)
  • Options
    bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel is so wrong about Ben, he is so much more than a rock singer

He has a unique voice, perfect for ballads. He reminds me of a young Rod Stewart.

He will come out of this as a major star, whether he wins or not.

This is a wind up surely? Rod Stewart is a REAL artist who was discovered busking in Trafalgar Square by 60's star Long John Baldry, he worked dingy clubs singing with a blues band earning his stripes the hard way, wrote classic tunes & had number one hits both sides of the Atlantic. That's what made him a major star not singing karaoke versions of other peoples songs on a naff light entertainment show on itv. It's sad to think that X Factor has created this myth that you can produce major stars by-passing learning your craft & Cowell holds the key to instant success.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    My superiority complex appreciates your opinion based on your '30 years of experience', but I think I prefer my own opinion thanks:p

:p We're all entitled to our opinions, to state the obvious. It was simply your generalised pigeonholing of those who aren't fond of Ben's voice that got my goat. It was a sweeping assumption on your part and an incorrect one to boot. My comment that I've been into rock music for so long was nothing more than a response to your announcement that people who don't appreciate his talents aren't interested in that kind of music.

I do think Ben could be very successful given the right material, but that wasn't my argument to start with.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a wind up surely? Rod Stewart is a REAL artist who was discovered busking in Trafalgar Square by 60's star Long John Baldry, he worked dingy clubs singing with a blues band earning his stripes the hard way, wrote classic tunes & had number one hits both sides of the Atlantic. That's what made him a major star not singing karaoke versions of other peoples songs on a naff light entertainment show on itv. It's sad to think that X Factor has created this myth that you can produce major stars by-passing learning your craft & Cowell holds the key to instant success.

When the poster said Ben reminded them of Rod Stewart, what on earth made you think they were talking about his claim to fame? The only thing that's sad here is the myth that you have to spend years upon years playing slave to a guitar in order to fulfill this stereotype of being a "REAL artist" (in capital letters and all). If someone enjoys someone's music/voice/performances on a TV programme, what does it bloody matter how they were discovered?

Just for the record, I'm nearly sure Ben has mentioned being in bands/playing in dingy clubs/having near-misses with record labels ie "earning his stripes the hard way" before being on the show. Not everyone gets spotted by a big 60s star while busking, doesn't make them any less "REAL".
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the naysayers are probably people who thrive on generic pop, R&B etc. They wouldn't know a good rock voice if it hit them on the head. Some of my favourite singers are James Dean Bradfield and Matt Bellamy and they are instantly recognizible when you hear them on the radio. Ben has the same quality and character in his voice. None of the other contestants have that quality they have very generic voices.

I just hope if he does win, that he gets some credible material to record.

I'm very confident he will win.;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very confident he will win.;-):D

I am too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that he more likely to be third to be honest. A lot of voters will prefer Andre on the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that he more likely to be third to be honest. A lot of voters will prefer Andre on the night.

Coming from a Fleur fan whatever you really believe that Ben has got lot of a fans and he hasnt been in the bottom 2 yet and people like will vote for Ben more this weekend.

I think you will be very shocked on Sunday when Ben is crowned the winner
  • Options
    karenc3karenc3 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I like Ben too. His voice reminds me a bit of Chris Cornell. I like his stage presence too. I think he could do ok if he gets a record deal and the right material.
  • Options
    PattfrancePattfrance Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Agreed.

Me too. He needs the right songs, the best promoter , who knows something about music and can match it to Ben's talents. Unlike Cowell who only knows how to make money for himself. He came back to put money in his bank. He does not need high ratings as much as a winner HE can use to his own ends.
  • Options
    PattfrancePattfrance Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    hannah wrote: »
    Coming from a Fleur fan whatever you really believe that Ben has got lot of a fans and he hasnt been in the bottom 2 yet and people like will vote for Ben more this weekend.

I think you will be very shocked on Sunday when Ben is crowned the winner

I do hope so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ben wins, fair enough, but he is going to have to produce far better performances than he did last weekend to have any chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Ben wins, fair enough, but he is going to have to produce far better performances than he did last weekend to have any chance.

He will do and. I loved his two performances last week
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be a shock if Ben wins as he is obviously the favourite to win. I will be happy for him all the same.