Options

got a fly tipping letter

mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
Forum Member
I have moved into a new flat, next door to a takeaway. Anyway, i took some stuff from old house to new flat.. bin got full, so late at night on a wednesday before bins got taken out.. I went and put it in takeaways bin on side street, it wasnt full. I didnt have key to back gate yet to put it in my bin

anyway, I got a letter today off council saying they found binbag on side of street with my stuff in, and I need to contact him in regards to fly tipping offence. So, either the takeaway saw my bag, took offence and put it on side of road.. or.. in fact thats only thing I can think of

He would like to give me oppurtunity to be reviewed under police and criminal evidence act. anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the Take Away has to pay extra for the uplift of their rubbish, I'm not surprised they took your stuff out of their bin.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    I have moved into a new flat, next door to a takeaway. Anyway, i took some stuff from old house to new flat.. bin got full, so late at night on a wednesday before bins got taken out.. I went and put it in takeaways bin on side street, it wasnt full. I didnt have key to back gate yet to put it in my bin

anyway, I got a letter today off council saying they found binbag on side of street with my stuff in, and I need to contact him in regards to fly tipping offence. So, either the takeaway saw my bag, took offence and put it on side of road.. or.. in fact thats only thing I can think of

He would like to give me oppurtunity to be reviewed under police and criminal evidence act. anyone got any advice?

So you fraudulently placed unsorted domestic waste into someone else's commercial bin and have probably been filmed doing so.

You are in big trouble.

It'll be even worse if you have disposed of domestic waste in a council street bin.

Ignore anything that anyone tells you on here and speak to a lawyer on Monday before you do anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you fraudulently placed unsorted domestic waste into someone else's commercial bin and have probably been filmed doing so.

You are in big trouble.

It'll be even worse if you have disposed of domestic waste in a council street bin.

Ignore anything that anyone tells you on here and speak to a lawyer on Monday before you do anything else.

It was not a council street bin, and yes it was a small bin bag filled with bits and bobs from new flat, nothing hazardous

I'm not sure it was a commercial bin, as they normally dump their stuff in their back yard as I can see from window. The bin I had is on side of street, with the gate locked to back alley I presumed everyone put it in there. Hindsight is a great thing though
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a fair cop.

Just admit it and take the hit.

Trying to squirm out of it now would just be shameful and embarrassing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Sounds like a fair cop.

Just admit it and take the hit.

Trying to squirm out of it now would just be shameful and embarrassing.

I'm planning to admit it, the mention of interview and courts though threw me
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    I'm planning to admit it, the mention of interview and courts though threw me

I would expect a fine of about £3000 for fly tipping. If it is your first offence and you admit it the court will probably let you away with a fine of £1000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I would expect a fine of about £3000 for fly tipping. If it is your first offence and you admit it the court will probably let you away with a fine of £1000.

yep first offence, however I find that a bit harsh, its only a tiny bin bag, I've seen stories of people fined £500 for throwing away beds and mattresses

I actually put the bag in the bin ( caught on camera if such footage exists ) merely 2 metres from my flat. There is nothing on the bin that would suggest it belongs to the takeaway only, apart from fact that its on side of street and takeaway is on corner.

We will see what happens
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people ask for advice on such things on a forum?

One can't trust what anyone says to be legally correct, therefore there's no point.

However, I would say that the person who took the bag out of the bin is responsible. The OP is only responsible for placing the bin bag in someone else's bin. Is that trespass?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

One can't trust what anyone says to be legally correct, therefore there's no point.

However, I would say that the person who took the bag out of the bin is responsible. The OP is only responsible for placing the bin bag in someone else's bin. Is that trespass?

You are right, but then again I shouldn't be placing my waste in anyones bin, I hold my hands up to it

but, it was cold.. I found my gate locked, it was 12am, I thought the binman will be here in 6 hours, they won't know

he must of skipped that bin that day, I hold my hands up. The fact that I just moved into flat and the bag had a parcel with my old address in may lead them to believe I fly tipped. I will explain all anyway

I presume there will be an interview and a court day?
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    £1,000-£3,000 fine?

Forget what I posted earlier. I thought you'd get a harshly worded letter and/or a £50 fine.

Fight this all the way!

That bag of rubbish could have been maliciously removed from your bin by local youths and dumped in the restaurant bin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    £1,000-£3,000 fine?

Forget what I posted earlier. I thought you'd get a harshly worded letter and/or a £50 fine.

Fight this all the way!

That bag of rubbish could have been maliciously removed from your bin by local youths and dumped in the restaurant bin

exactly, I'm not dumping a bed or a mattress in a field. The bag contains random house stuff like small cardboard box, curtain packets and random stuff. It's not like I travelled far and wide to dump this hazardous material
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt there is a Strict Liability law for rubbish. You could deny everything I'm sure.

Best get a solicitor to advise though.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

The OP did not dispose of his rubbish in the correct way, It is still their responsibility. Not their bin to dispose of it in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are in big trouble.

You should write this up as a sitcom script.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    The OP did not dispose of his rubbish in the correct way, It is still their responsibility. Not their bin to dispose of it in

But it's not clear exactly what they're being accused of. Is there a distinction between "putting your rubbish in a commercial bin" and "dumping your rubbish on the pavement"? Is the take away entitled to sort through their bin and dump unauthorised additions on the pavement, or was it in fact them who committed the offence (or an additional offence)?

ETA: Or, what CitySlicker said.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without arguing the finer points of wrongs and rights here, I'm going to come at this with a different angle.

You've been cheeky by shoving your waste in commercial bins. I'm not going to condemn you for doing this, I shoved a couple of black bags in a nearby skip last year. The silly bit is you must have left your personal details in the bin.

Here's the interesting thing though. I don't think you are responsible for fly tipping. I think it's the takeaway who are responsible. You shouldn't have used their bin but if they wanted to be picky it's not a criminal offence, it's a civil matter that business would need to pursue you through the courts (and it would cost them so much they wouldn't bother unless you were persistent and problematic).

If I were you I wouldn't phone the council at all or enter any verbal dialogue. I would write them an email to say you have received this notification and whilst you appreciate they can only take action on the evidence they have (i.e. your name on dumped waste), you did dispose of it in a commercial waste bin. You could then advise them the only other persons you feel likely to remove your waste is the shop so please contact them as the potential offenders.

Then it'll get into a case of he-said-they-said, the council will likely back off and not pursue it as too big a risk of poor quality evidence. I would be denying strongly any possibility you've fly tipped and maintain your position you used commercial waste bins, the council can't get you for that.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    But it's not clear exactly what they're being accused of. Is there's a distinction between "putting your rubbish in a commercial bin" and "dumping your rubbish on the pavement"? Is the take away entitled to sort through their bin and dump unauthorised additions on the pavement, or was it in fact them who committed the offence (or an additional offence)?

That's my take on it. I think the takeaway has caused the offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for responses guys

yes, there was a small parcel box with my full name and address on, they sent me a picture along with letter. Hardly the markings of a fly tipper trying to cover his tracks. The worlds most idiotic fly tipper wouldnt leave his name on boxes

Its a valid argument, I don't think the council know my new residence is literally a few feet away, as the address on box is for address about half a mile away
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For several years I have made sure that nothing I discard is traceable to me. I shred address labels and envelopes - burn them in the wood stove in winter. Make sure there's no correspondence with any personal details.

Identity theft is rife and it's not unknown for refuse collectors to drop rubbish in the street and fail to pick it up - I've watched them.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame you don't live in the filthy district of North Hertfordshire.

Fly tipping is rife here, yet the council do nothing. There are at least 6 full bin liners dumped at the corner of the street this morning. The countryside round here is a constant mess too, with used cardboard boxes, old pushchairs, yet more bin bags and old clothing.

I'd learn from this, pay the fine and in future be more careful where you dispose your rubbish.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell the truth, explain that it won't happen again and you might get off with a warning or a small fine. If you deny everything they are more likely to give you a big fine.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the takeaway took the bag out of the bin and put it on public land, surely the takeaway are the fly tippers?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I doubt there is a Strict Liability law for rubbish. You could deny everything I'm sure.

Best get a solicitor to advise though.

Yes, either that - http://lawworks.org.uk/clinics - or a Citizens Advice Bureau consultation - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/about_this_site/contact_us.htm - and I'd suggest doing something asap such as on Monday before the next set of public holidays.
    cris182 wrote: »

These days, councils really do take such things seriously so this thread ought to be a warning to others. Council waste management officers will, if necessary, go through waste to find out details of the perpetrator concerned and domestic letters, bills, etc. can be a complete giveaway.

Best thing to do is to take excess waste to the civic dump, arrange for a special collection (usually a modest fee) or put it out bit by bit in the normal domestic waste collection service.
  • Options
    Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it gets sorted for you. Remember to always shred anything with personal details on it. Theres a lot of fraud going on and yes people do check bins to find those types of details.