Options

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Lost another 1lb this morning and hope to lose another 1lb by Friday :p

Been off work last week, went back yesterday and work colleagues couldn't believe how much i lost..said my face is thinner now :D..back to work and back on track..although i think i did quite well last week, not being that much active but i did take dog out for his walkies so wasn't that bad :p...still got 16 lb to lose for my target
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could actually pick up and carry what I have lost but I have looked at the equivalent in sugar bags and it's shocking.

as a guess i would say i lost about 8 bags of sugar...i lost just over a stone, so say 16lb which is 8 bags of sugar, if sugar is 2lb ..:D, if you get that lol

anyway you look it it its yuck to imagine one carrying that weight around :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not weighing myself till next week - well done to those who has lost weight.

I will say one thing who like me is fed up receiving adverts about diet pills on FB. They are really awful because there is lot of people naive to believe such claims without scientific evidence.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Well done to those who lost weight.

At present I'm still underweight according to my most recent weigh-in. I'll see what I am next gym visit, and adjust my maintenance accordingly. In the meantime, I have a chocolate cake to make.

I'm watching 'The men who made us thin' on the BBC at the moment. From my reading of the research on weight-loss, I think that the message on this program (which seems to be that dieting doesn't work) is over-simplistic and excessively negative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Well done to those who lost weight.

At present I'm still underweight according to my most recent weigh-in. I'll see what I am next gym visit, and adjust my maintenance accordingly. In the meantime, I have a chocolate cake to make.

I'm watching 'The men who made us thin' on the BBC at the moment. From my reading of the research on weight-loss, I think that the message on this program (which seems to be that dieting doesn't work) is over-simplistic and excessively negative.

ooohh sounds nice, enjoy it :p

i got 6 weeks till my birthday and also hopefully get to my target weight by then., thats what i am aiming for lol.got about 15 to 16lbs to lose, and im losing 2lb a week ..so fingers crossed :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well i put 2lb on from Thurs night as i made a cottage pie ( which was nice indeed lol). , but lost it again when i next weighed on Friday :p ( all the walking shifted it :D), so i haven't really lost anything this time :( ( i cant stop weighing myself, and i do its just curiosity lol) oh well..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    quick update :)

i lost another 2lb this morning after weigh day :D

all i need to lose now is 13lb to get to my target..woo

also i walked 10 miles roughly today to and from work :eek: ( not all in one go mind lol)
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really need to keep reading this thread as I have lost my motivation at the moment. I have about 7lbs to lose and am really struggling!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Really need to keep reading this thread as I have lost my motivation at the moment. I have about 7lbs to lose and am really struggling!!

aww..the last bit is always seems hard..hope you get there :)
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    aww..the last bit is always seems hard..hope you get there :)

Thank you - I wont let it beat me, I know what needs to be done, its just doing it :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on the 5:2 fast diet for a month now. I'm down 12 pounds and I've found it really easy to do but I've now hit my first plateau. That 1st stone loss mark is in sight but I just can't reach it. Grr...
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a calorie calculator that people feel is the best? For example this morning I had a blueberry & strawberry & yoghurt smoothie. I'm not sure where i'd begin to work out how many calories that contains. Looking for any tips or advice on that. Thank you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a calorie calculator that people feel is the best? For example this morning I had a blueberry & strawberry & yoghurt smoothie. I'm not sure where i'd begin to work out how many calories that contains. Looking for any tips or advice on that. Thank you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is fantastic and has a huge database of foods. There is a smartphone app which can record the calories in foods by scanning the barcode.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is fantastic and has a huge database of foods. There is a smartphone app which can record the calories in foods by scanning the barcode.

I did try this site but what I couldn't get my head around is when you view an ingredient, such as "Strawberry" there is a drop down with various measurements but selecting different ones doesn't change any of the numbers. That seemed wrong to me. Perhaps it's me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did try this site but what I couldn't get my head around is when you view an ingredient, such as "Strawberry" there is a drop down with various measurements but selecting different ones doesn't change any of the numbers. That seemed wrong to me. Perhaps it's me!

I think it must be you. It works for me.Just change the quantity then click add. Try different quantities and you will see different calories added.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How to lose weight in your stomach and hips, in two weeks...will have a go tomorrow lol

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430862-how-to-lose-weight-in-your-stomach-and-hips-in-two-weeks/
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Go to W.H.Smith and buy a Rosemary Conley Calorie Counter book - costs about £2.50 and you can work it out from there.
    Make a note of the foods you eat - with their weight and their calorie value and you will quickly get to know how many cals in your favourite foods.
    I made an A4 sheet of the weight and cals of my favourites, laminated it and stuck it inside my kitchen cupboard. Arranged them in veg - fruit - meat - beans etc - in alphabetical order so everything is easy to find. May take an hour to type and print but worth it in the end.
    Keep some electronic scales within easy reach so you can easily weigh them so no over "guestimates".
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a bit of a set back here, got 4 stone off fairly easily now finding it much harder. Doesn't help I have been diagnosed with cancer, not life threatening but pretty fed up about it as I have had breast cancer twice in the past and now have a lump on my eyelid. So dieting is not the first thing on my mind at the moment.

Must get motivated again !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Having a bit of a set back here, got 4 stone off fairly easily now finding it much harder. Doesn't help I have been diagnosed with cancer, not life threatening but pretty fed up about it as I have had breast cancer twice in the past and now have a lump on my eyelid. So dieting is not the first thing on my mind at the moment.

Must get motivated again !!

:( I don't really know what to say but didn't want to read and not post anything.

I hope you are better and back to full health soon. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I know what you mean not a lot can be said but your good wishes certainly help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aww hope you get better soon molliepops and speedy recovery :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both, just been for an long walk and cleared my head a bit so feeling more positive this afternoon. amazing what a bit of fresh air can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just done a bit of abs rolling and the exercise bike..feel better just for doing abit, took a break off here and when in there :p
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to get slim for summer 2013. I've been on this 'new' diet for about six months and I did lose some weightt but put back on half a stone. :(

So I am back to square one.

DESPITE exercising for 90 minutes a day and being on a low calorie diet. :(

I'd like to say I'm about a stone overweight but if I am truthful I'd say I am three stone overweight.

I even went on that Zenical and it was a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having put on weight over the last 2 years [it snuck on while I wasn't looking] I've finallydecided to get serious. I joined a gym last year, but it bored me and I only ever used the same 3 machines... So last month I got up one morning and forced myself to start using RunKeeper. I love it! I am actually running now [which is something I would have never dreamed of doing before] and I'm enjoying it. The other week I jogged at 5mph non stop for almost 2.5km. I was surprised to say the least, since I couldn't jog my own length 3 weeks ago! Since the end of July I've lost 1.5kg [according to my scales, anyway].

I'm also drinking a lot more water than I ever did before [you need to when you're going out jogging/running] and I'm eating a lot less rubbish - treating myself at the weekend only.