Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Ah but Gwen was too busy helping her father in the forge. ;)

So, familiar with metal-bashing and Swords then ?! and randy Soldiers, trying to gain her favours.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    As an aside, it would be great if some of the (largely ignored) history of powerful )(political/monarchy) women was perhaps dramatized, in a broadly similar fashion to The White Queen - I'm sure it would find a ready audience, and much of the other stuff has been done to death umpteen times - Tudors for example.

Boudica
    Ælfwynn
    Matilda
    Eleanor
    Isabella
    Margaret (historically overlaps slightly on the White Queen dramatization)
    Jane
    Mary
    Elizabeth
    Mary Queen of Scots

The wonderful series on BBC 4 She-Wolves, England's Early Queens showed the history is entirely as compelling as any male led history. Some of the above have had some attention, mostly Elizabeth I.

I agree, although there have already been some incredibly good adaptations of the life stories of some of those women, Elizabeth I, Mary Tudor, Mary Queen of Scots and Jane to a lesser extent, have had quite a lot of air time.

Historical figures do tend to get dramatised a lot, I'd be interested in seeing a prime time Saturday evening TV show which bucked the trend for boys own adventures and focussed on a female heroine. There's not really been any decent ones (I'm discounting the cartoony nature of Xena even though it wasn't a bad show) for a long time.
    I am hopeful we will see some good female characters in Atlantis because of the quality of actresses they have playing the roles. Similarly with The Musketeers, when that starts up, there should be a decently written character in Constance with which to balance out the daring do boys own adventure-ness of the Musketeers and D'Artagnan.

The Percy Jackson novels would have been good for a TV series as they have plenty of strongly written female characters, but unfortunately they're now being adapted for film.
    However, looking at a similar (although far more adult orientated theme), Game of Thrones has managed to create a number of incredibly well written and strong female characters behaving in a way which goes against the norm (of the times which influenced GRRM when writing, ie the War of the Roses and The Hundred Years War). So it is perfectly possible to write decent female characters into a TV show but I don't want female ones added just so the makers can say "hey look, we've got our own Lara Croft style action woman" when the story narrative doesn't justify it.
    Is this not looking through the mists of time, on relatively undocumented stuff.

You might argue, with all the rivalry, intrigue and deceitfulness of the time, some basic self defence may have been de rigueur with the royal ladies of the court ? Gwen certainly could have done with one, and a little bit of skillfulness in it's use, and she would not have got into half the bother she did :rolleyes:

No it's fairly well documented about how women spent their time, even in the Arthurian mythology :) Morgana wouldn't have been hoiking a sword around.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Queen of Scots

There is This, I doubt it's going to be particularly historically accurate though.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I did explain why in my previous post.
    No, you explained why you didn't think Atlantis would not or should not have a 'female daring do' character. What I was asking was why you specifically didn't want a female character who was "anywhere near the importance of the male roles..."

That's a whole different thing. Essentially, you're saying that none of the female roles should have as much impact as the male characters. Not just as far as the action elements go, but in terms of the entire story.

Really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    It's hardly trying to be accuate to the "real" Atlantis (oh, wait, there wasn't one.) Having good female character isn't "filling a PC quota". The very idea is pretty laughable in fact. LOL.
    And you've utterly missed the point.

No, I'd say AA has completely nailed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in seeing a prime time Saturday evening TV show which bucked the trend for boys own adventures and focussed on a female heroine.
    Suuuuure you would.

:rolleyes:
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    No, you explained why you didn't think Atlantis would not or should not have a 'female daring do' character. What I was asking was why you specifically didn't want a female character who was "anywhere near the importance of the male roles..."

That's a whole different thing. Essentially, you're saying that none of the female roles should have as much impact as the male characters. Not just as far as the action elements go, but in terms of the entire story.

Really?

No, that isn't what I said and I fully explained it in my post but do feel free to continually misread and misinterpret what I actually said. The two sentences in my comment cannot be split or separated as you appear to wish to do as I did not say I don't want any female characters to have any importance or to not be as important as the male leads.

What I said was that I don't expect the female characters to be as important as the males in a boys own adventure show and no, I wouldn't want them to be as it usually means a character has been written to fill in a slot so they can say "we've met the PC criterion for having a strong female role".

All of which can be found in my reply to your original question, which you seem to be ignoring completely.
    Because this is a boys own adventure story style show, it is bromance driven, it's "here come the boys" and it's based on a culture and mythology which is patriarchal and male dominated.

I don't want them to create daring do action female characters just because. I'd prefer if there's one there because the storyline justifies it or because they're basing it on a story or mythology which has one in the first place.

Putting a female character whose a kick ass adventurer (in the same vein as the male characters) is pandering to PC quotas unless they chose to use Hippolyta or possibly Atalanta. They're about the only strong none Goddess female characters who appear in a "daring do" mould in Greek myth.
    Having a female character who, although she's a villain or the protagonist, is well written and appears within the show's narrative properly is great and I have absolutely no objection to that.

I think you perhaps misunderstood me as saying there shouldn't be any strong female characters at all which isn't the case, I just don't want them throwing in an all action female so they can say "look we've got an all action female character".

So, exactly as I said, I don't expect the female characters to be as important as the three male leads and no, I wouldn't want them to be (artificially created to be the female equivalent of Jason) but I expect that the female characters as appearing in the show will, especially in the case of Sarah Parish, be well written and essential to the show's story narrative. It remains to be seen what level of importance Medusa and Ariadne are going to have within the context of this interpretation of Greek myth and the Atlantis story.
    No, I'd say AA has completely nailed it.

Then you'd be as utterly wrong as they were.
    Suuuuure you would.

:rolleyes:

And your sarcastic commentary and rolling eyes smiley clearly demonstrates a high level of intellectual debate by which you seek to argue a particular standpoint or illustrate your rationale for why there should be a female character of daring do given the same weight and importance as the three male equivalents.

Oh no, wait, it doesn't.
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Gay Spy and it's topless photo of the lead, I shall be tuning in. ;)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Only an hour to go now for this.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wot? No one watching?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did he lose his clothes...talk about fangirl bait...
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is strange. Nope, not trying to capture a fangirl following at all there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time taken until first gratuitous naked scene. 3 minutes.

Yep, it's Merlin II.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hate these types of stories where someone is transported from present day into the past. Why not just have the character from Atlantis.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On now... I think people may be watching X Factor and iPlayering/recording this..
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's betting that he'll have a close male friend for the Tumblr fans to go nuts over, like a bromance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Who's betting that he'll have a close male friend for the Tumblr fans to go nuts over?

Yep, rather predictable...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hapless slapstick and chase in first 5 mins..
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is turning into an unintentional comedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is turning into an unintentional comedy.
    Music cues don't' help.
  • DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sure like the shots of slow motion falling fruit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh look lucky Greek bloke speaks English before English is invented
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the most brief of searches on this and was surprised to see that there was seemingly no thread already for it.

It doesn't seem like my cup of tea but I'm giving it a go.
  • BlomkvistBlomkvist Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashes to Atlantis.
  • DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Who's betting that he'll have a close male friend for the Tumblr fans to go nuts over, like a bromance?

Right on schedule.