EE - is Martin Fowler coming back again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
Forum Member
Hope so, seems soft to recast him just for a couple of episodes

Comments

• danyelldanyell Posts: 10,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he is for the time being. He's only listed to have to have filmed two episodes. I wasn't struck by his acting anyway.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think so. If he wasn't coming back into the show, I don't see why he and Sonia couldn't have broken up off screen.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I would think so. If he wasn't coming back into the show, I don't see why he and Sonia couldn't have broken up off screen.

Isn't Martin friends with Kush?
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Isn't Martin friends with Kush?

Happy New Year sweetie, hope you bagged yourself a nice bloke or two. :)

Yes they are, Peter will be leaving soon so there will be a place for Martin on the market.
  • kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Did seem pointless, I thought he was going to be in it longer. what is the plan with Sonia, is she going to end up with Tina now?
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    It's common for new characters to have staggered entrances these days. Although Ryan's is being very drawn out :D
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeh I forgot about his friendship with Kush. That will be interesting to see.
  • HendraHendra Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I think it'll be a staggered entrance, similar to Michael Moon. When he was first introduced, he only appeared in a couple of episodes before returning a few months later.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New characters and returns seem to make appearances then disappear!!!

Buster
    Ryan
    Martin

I wonder how long Kim will be on our screens for.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    New characters and returns seem to make appearances then disappear!!!

Buster
    Ryan
    Martin

I wonder how long Kim will be on our screens for.

Buster's short stint was a teaser for things to come. It's already been confirmed he plays a key part in this year's carter storyline. It would of been too much and too crowded if he had been apart of the rape/sister-mother reveal.
  • ultron29ultron29 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's coming back.

Didn't DTC say something about looking back whilst moving forward for the 30th and that Martin was the first baby on the Square or something along those lines?
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll probably make his permanent return during the live episode like Peter Barlow did in Corrie's 40th.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    He'll be back, it just didn't make sense for him to move to the square immediately after him and Sonia broke up. I can see Martin agreeing to to move back to the square so that it's easier on Rebecca, and then taking over from Peter on the stall. I can see him and Kush living together given that they're meant to be friends, and it will give Kush more to do.
    He'll probably make his permanent return during the live episode like Peter Barlow did in Corrie's 40th.

It's Ian's wedding so he should turn up, but then he missed Lucy's funeral so who knows. I'm hoping we see him before then though.
  • Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    The character already has an official Eastenders cast card which is an indicator that he's definitely returning.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't impress in his first stint. Seems he was cast more for his looky likeness to the previous actor than for his acting ability.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what the point of bringing him back was only to have him split from Sonia. It would be totally unbelievable for them to get back together now they've both said they don't love each other. What's the point of a re-cast Martin without being with Sonia though? Baffled.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I don't understand what the point of bringing him back was only to have him split from Sonia. It would be totally unbelievable for them to get back together now they've both said they don't love each other. What's the point of a re-cast Martin without being with Sonia though? Baffled.

Martin can quite easily function without being together with Sonia

He has a daughter with her so he will be visiting the sqaure to see her, plus he knows a few people on the square.

I always thought Martin and Sonia were one of the worst couples ever to be done on EE anyway.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    He didn't impress in his first stint. Seems he was cast more for his looky likeness to the previous actor than for his acting ability.
    He didn't make a great first impression on me either but perhaps he'll settle into the role.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's never ever coming back ever.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »

Martin's more important to the show than Sonia surely? He's Pauline and Arthur's son, Mark and Michelle's brother, Ian's cousin, the first child born in the series and so on. The only reason Sonia got her foot in the door before Martin is because The Jacksons were revived back in 2008 whereas The Fowlers were allowed to die out in 2007. I'm glad they splt up. All Sonia ever did to both versions of Martin was take advantage of him. He never really achieved his full potential so this is his chance to continue the Fowlers and make himself a big name character. Sonia is admittedly a bigger name if a less important character in the grand scheme of things.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he'll be back. They would never recast such a big character for a brief appearance. He also does not need Sonia to come back or for his presence to work. He's a Fowler, a Beale grandson. I'm looking forward to having a Fowler back on the square. I thought the actor was a natural for a first appearance and hopefully continues at the same level when he returns full time.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the fuss surrounding the recast would be a waste if he were to only be on for a few episodes wouldn't it? It makes more sense to reintroduce him slowly. It wasn't as if he was running back when Sonia came back with Rebecca. It may be that now he has been back once he will start to remember what it is he liked about the place. That couple with the fact that he no longer expects Sonia to move back with his daughter could prompt a move, so that he can be closer to his child, and a place that was home for so long.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I see this as a new lease of life for Martin. The poor guy was paired with the dreadful Sonia during his last stint. Hopefully Ian will have him lined up to be his best man or an usher for his wedding, and that he will be back for good soon.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin's more important to the show than Sonia surely? He's Pauline and Arthur's son, Mark and Michelle's brother, Ian's cousin, the first child born in the series and so on. The only reason Sonia got her foot in the door before Martin is because The Jacksons were revived back in 2008 whereas The Fowlers were allowed to die out in 2007. I'm glad they splt up. All Sonia ever did to both versions of Martin was take advantage of him. He never really achieved his full potential so this is his chance to continue the Fowlers and make himself a big name character. Sonia is admittedly a bigger name if a less important character in the grand scheme of things.

Pauline, Arthur, Mark and Michelle have all gone though. And if he isn't married to Sonia there isn't much reason for him to be in Walford, especially since they've recast them. Him breaking up with Sonia is one less reason for them to have bothered recasting him in the first place.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt they'd have even brought the character back with a recast if all it consisted of was two appearances. If that it was for just two episodes then would be a waste of time.

Realistically he can only go back to the family home in Dagenham for now. He still has connections with Ian as his cousin. He's mates with Kush. Judging by the way Stacey was subtly checking him out on the market (compared to Mo being Mo lol), suggests that they might be paired in the future. I'm sure he'll be back for the wedding or soon after.