"I feel gypped."

floatingboyfloatingboy Posts: 30
Forum Member
Is this not considered offensive in the UK? I'm squarely on the freedom of speech side of things, so I'm not bothered by it in the least, but as an American, the most interesting aspect of this series has been seeing the differences between how the UK and the U.S. view issues of censorship, inappropriate language, etc.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    One thing that has baffled me is how Perez gave a speech (in perez fashion) about how Americans value free speech blah blah but then went on to have a go at Patsy (whilst looking at everyone else) about her conversation with Alexander and being racist which ended up in Patsy being upset because she was mortified she may have upset Alexeander ....... I just dont understand Perez's mentality and reasoning. :confused:
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no idea what that means.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nor do I.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard the word before so completely fail to be offended by it.
  • onfencewithrachonfencewithrach Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member

It's a term that plays into the (possibly offensive) stereotype that Gypsies are thieves, meaning the person has been ripped off, etc.

It's similar to when someone would say "Jewed/Jewed over" implying something similar with Jews.

I have Gypsy lineage and it always cracks me up how they're completely ignored in the PC focus.

As to the Perez thing, i don't think he was saying Patsy was racist... he was pointing out that associating a black person with the "hood/ghetto" stereotype could be offensive. I already went deeper into that within another thread so can't go over the same thing again but i believe that was the intent along with inserting himself in the middle of things and getting attention.
  • Desy BoyDesy Boy Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Replace "gypped" with "jewed" and I could understand the offence. Never even saw that before but now I know I'll certainly avoid it. Causing offence just because I can rarely appeals to me.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    It's a term that plays into the (possibly offensive) stereotype that Gypsies are thieves, meaning the person has been ripped off, etc.

Yeah, that's what I've always taken that phrase to mean too.

I have to admit it's a term that I have used in the past when I think I've been ripped off, but then when I thought about the background of the term I worried that it would probably be un-PC so stopped using it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked up the term gypped and jewed was also mentioned but I have never heard either term used by any of my friends family or colleagues although some are undoubtably racist.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she said 'jibbed' as in stabbed.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desy Boy wrote: »
    Replace "gypped" with "jewed" and I could understand the offence. Never even saw that before but now I know I'll certainly avoid it. Causing offence just because I can rarely appeals to me.

I've never heard that phrase used either.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,034
    Forum Member
    Who said it?
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,648
    Forum Member
    Who said it and in what context?
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Who said it?

Cami Li. Never heard an American use this phrase before tbh :blush:

It's similar to when someone would say "Jewed/Jewed over" implying something similar with Jews.

I have Gypsy lineage and it always cracks me up how they're completely ignored in the PC focus.

As to the Perez thing, i don't think he was saying Patsy was racist... he was pointing out that associating a black person with the "hood/ghetto" stereotype could be offensive. I already went deeper into that within another thread so can't go over the same thing again but i believe that was the intent along with inserting himself in the middle of things and getting attention.

My wife put in a complaint to Ofcom in regards to her use of language. She said that when she was in Romania the Roma travelers were treated appallingly and such language still upsets her :(
  • Desy BoyDesy Boy Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard that phrase used either.

Many Jewish people will have heard it too many times.
  • onfencewithrachonfencewithrach Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »

My wife put in a complaint to Ofcom in regards to her use of language. She said that when she was in Romania the Roma travelers were treated appallingly and such language still upsets her :(

Yeah, and it's usually forgotten that the Gypsies were also singled out in the Holocaust and all the persecution they've went through.
    http://history1900s.about.com/od/holocaust/a/gypsies.htm

You would think they could at least get the same efforts where being PC is concerned in not using the "gypped" terminology.
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this not considered offensive in the UK? I'm squarely on the freedom of speech side of things, so I'm not bothered by it in the least, but as an American, the most interesting aspect of this series has been seeing the differences between how the UK and the U.S. view issues of censorship, inappropriate language, etc.
    Gyp is common in Scotland......... As in, my back/hip/knee etc, is giving me gyp today.

English definition of “gyp”
    See all translations
    gyp
    noun uk /dʒɪp/ UK informal us
    › pain or trouble: My knee has been giving me gyp since I started running.
    gyp
    verb [T] uk /dʒɪp/ (-pp-) US informal us
    › to cheat someone: I think the taxpayers are getting gypped.

The urban dictionary has a completely different meaning. I wasn't aware of it before this.........I put it in a spoiler in case someone is offended by the 'swear' word. :D
    gyp
    A ripoff; something that is not worth what your are giving for it; refering to gypsies who make their living off of swidling others.
    What a ****in gyp!
  • lubo 25lubo 25 Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »

Dearie me
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using this term my whole life.

I had no idea where it came from. Never put the two together.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I've been using this term my whole life.

I had no idea where it came from. Never put the two together.

Me too.

I'm wondering if we could have a dictionary printed of the words we can actually say these days. Its most confusing and very hard to put a sentence together without the fear of offending someone.
    Forum Member
    linmic wrote: »
    Me too.

I'm wondering if we could have a dictionary printed of the words we can actually say these days. Its most confusing and very hard to put a sentence together without the fear of offending someone.
    Most regular dictionaries make it clear which words are regarded as offensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    It's an expression that's never been associated with gypsy though, it just means to have been conned, I just googled the expression and the dictionary defined it as being swindled or conned
    Forum Member
    moleymo wrote: »
    It's an expression that's never been associated with gypsy though, it just means to have been conned, I just googled the expression and the dictionary defined it as being swindled or conned
    I think it's true that most people are unaware of this association, but it is derived from Gypsy.
  • JVSJVS Posts: 12,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May be gypped is derived directly from 'Egyptian' rather than from gypsy itself, which has the same root. Otherwise we'd be saying that having a gippy tummy is racist as well.

And anyway, gypsy is not a banned word, neither is negro, Racism is often only in the head of the perceiver.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,034
    Forum Member
    JVS wrote: »
    May be gypped is derived directly from 'Egyptian' rather than from gypsy itself, which has the same root. Otherwise we'd be saying that having a gippy tummy is racist as well.

And anyway, gypsy is not a banned word, neither is negro, Racism is often only in the head of the perceiver.

I half agree. But, they should be consistent, we should see them address it.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pompeybird wrote: »
    One thing that has baffled me is how Perez gave a speech (in perez fashion) about how Americans value free speech blah blah but then went on to have a go at Patsy (whilst looking at everyone else) about her conversation with Alexander and being racist which ended up in Patsy being upset because she was mortified she may have upset Alexeander ....... I just dont understand Perez's mentality and reasoning. :confused:
    bib - there's your problem! You're assuming he has some :D